Thread: Speed Cobra Spring Snapped

User Info Menu

Default Speed Cobra Spring Snapped

While practicing today the right side of my Speed Cobra snapped the spring at the bottom connection ring...........the weakest point.
    Immediately I got on the web to find the proper replacement part............not as easy as you would expect.
    I found a place in New Hampshire that had some stock and I ordered 3 springs so I can have a couple of spares.

I am so glad this did not happen during a gig.

You guys playing these pedals would be wise to carry a spare spring.........FYI.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Speed Cobra Spring Snapped

hmmmm thanks for the info that would surely be a disaster on a gig. Did you order it from the drum center of portsmouth?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Uh-oh, better get my Speed Kings prepped as alternates. Good thing they collapse down for easy transport.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

my Iron Cobra spring snapped very prematurely....to heck with original parts, i got 2 Gibraltar replacements, 1 installed, the other floating around in the gig case....

User Info Menu

crazy! Sorry to hear

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    hmmmm thanks for the info that would surely be a disaster on a gig. Did you order it from the drum center of portsmouth?
    Yes, exactly.
    Are they good ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    my Iron Cobra spring snapped very prematurely....to heck with original parts, i got 2 Gibraltar replacements, 1 installed, the other floating around in the gig case....
    After 2 Speed Cobra springs. I bought Gibraltar also, it's been quite a while, and they're still holding up..

User Info Menu

That's a good point at the end, keeping backup pieces for your hardware is always a good course of action. You don't want to be in the middle of a session and have something break, then have to stop until you find a fix or replacement. That's a lot of time to miss, and sometimes that time is money.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This is probably the reason why I stick to my P2000 Pearl PowerShifter Eliminator chain drive it has been good to me and never broke yet in the 10 years that I have used it.

User Info Menu

Received the replacement springs and now I'm back in business.
    Swapping out the spring is not as easy as it looks.
    If one of these break during a gig, it is not a simple 5-minute operation.

Having said all the bad news, I can tell you the new spring does feel perfect.
    I still love the Speed Cobra.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    Are they good ?
    Sorry missed this, yes they are very good. I go visit the store all the time. Shane the owner is a great guy and they have no problem helping anyone find their sound.

The last week or so I have noticed sloppy foot work on my part and chalked it up to my normal playing that happens at times but after 4 practice sessions in a row I started getting frustrated, then I noticed my sc pedal was noisy.

I took the pedal off and low and behold one of the screws was laying underneath the pedal and the other was very very loose. I put them back in using loctite and so far so good. If you have a sc pedal you may want to check these screws and re-tighten using loctite.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO