Thread: DW buyout of Gretsch

User Info Menu

Default DW buyout of Gretsch

Does anyone no anything more about the Gretsch buyout by DW. There hasn’t been a change on the Gretsch web page since the announcement.

Just wondering.
    Last edited by rritter; 04-19-2015 at 12:28 AM.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW buyout of Gretsch

Yeah,I think it's a mutual and respect understanding between DW and Gretsch. Gretsch is still plugging along like the last 140 years.You are still going to get the fine quality of Gretsch and I think DW want's to leave it that way. Two fine American drum empires.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Pretty much what DrummerMD said. When announced, John Good/DW said things at Gretch will remain the same, with construction of drums continued to be produced in South Carolina.

User Info Menu

Kind of goes hand-in-hand with this thread: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...0.html?t=32850
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

They didn't buyout the name. Just the distribution

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that, thanks SpazApproved.

User Info Menu

I wonder if they're only saying things will stay the same, but later will go back on their word and change something. And if so, what?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

By no changes in their web page I have to wonder if things are on a hold at Gretsch until they decide what lines to keep and what should go. Gretsch was making a lot of middle and lower end equipment be it good but I’m thinking some will go to make Gretsch more streamlined in their offerings. As for the Renown’s and up I’m thinking these will stay as they are the best Gretsch make. Will there be Catalinas, I’m thinking yes but at a reduced offering from what they have now.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

So Gretsch takes mid to lowrange and DW would take high? I imagine some fans of Gretsch being rather disappointed and angry if they have to get their USA customs through DW. I mean, the reputation and company image of long time quality is kind of a big selling point, isn't it?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Think of the marketing opportunities for them. They can introduce "New" Gretsch , Let the drumming public boo hoo for a year or two and then reappear with "Classic" Gretsch and make oodles of $$

It worked for Coke

LOL

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 04-20-2015 at 07:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    So Gretsch takes mid to lowrange and DW would take high? I imagine some fans of Gretsch being rather disappointed and angry if they have to get their USA customs through DW. I mean, the reputation and company image of long time quality is kind of a big selling point, isn't it?
    I agree. I think it should be the other way around Gretsch buying out DW. Gretsch name been around a lot longer than DW.

User Info Menu

As a 38 year owner of Gretsch USA Customs, I welcome this move.
    Gretsch has survived being owned by Baldwin Piano and others.............more recently and even worse, this nutty KMC group...........good riddance to them.
    DW has a good business model and as long as they maintain the legacy of Gretsch and the quality control, I'll love it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I wonder if they're only saying things will stay the same, but later will go back on their word and change something. And if so, what?
    It all depends on the extent of the financial involvement DW has. You are correct that when large companies buy each other, they almost always leave things alone for some length of time. Partly due to marketing and partly due to structuring. You don't want to immediately lose all market value of a company you just bought by scaring the customers and employees. One of the biggest dangers of making abrupt changes is a mass exodus of long term, experienced employees. It's always best to let things proceed as normal and study what changes can and should be made. Once decisions are made in terms of restructuring (if any), it then takes time to implement such changes efficiently and safely. Even something as basic as merging computer systems or shipping logistics can destroy a company in short order. I've experienced it several times over the years working for several Fortune 500 companies.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    By no changes in their web page I have to wonder if things are on a hold at Gretsch until they decide what lines to keep and what should go.
    FWIW, I was looking around on the Gretsch page recently and when I looked at how to contact them, I found an email address and mailing address for Drum Workshop, California.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

At the moment, DW is scrambling to get the logistics together. In addition to the other brands they got in the KMC deal (LP, Toca, etc) they also got warehouses, staff, an entire dealer network, and tons of other headaches. That's why Sabian exercised their right to get out of the deal. DW is in way over their heads right now.

This part is pure conjecture, but I still hold to what I said when the deal went down. You can not serve two masters and to my recollection, every multi-brand drum company has had problems eventually, from modern pairings like Ludwig/Drumcraft and Gretsch/Dixon all the way back to the days of Leedy/Ludwig. Sooner or later, DW is going to be forced to choose which brand to support when they don't have enough financial and material assets to do both.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.

User Info Menu

This

User Info Menu

well said. It's such a mess. And it's causing so many problems for little music stores like the one I work at.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

^hahaha that video makes me laugh every time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I pray they don't buy out Pearl.

User Info Menu

I pray they don't buy out Pearl.
    I would guess that Pearl is in a better position to buy out DW/Gretsch. The thought made me curious enough to search on-line for Pearl's company profile. It appears they are privately owned, which surprised me. As a result, there doesnt appear to be a whole lot of financial info on them. I found one place that listed annual sales at $49 million, but that seems a little low to me. I'm thinking it has something to do with being a foreign subsidiary and taxes.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I would guess that Pearl is in a better position to buy out DW/Gretsch. The thought made me curious enough to search on-line for Pearl's company profile. It appears they are privately owned, which surprised me. As a result, there doesnt appear to be a whole lot of financial info on them. I found one place that listed annual sales at $49 million, but that seems a little low to me. I'm thinking it has something to do with being a foreign subsidiary and taxes.
    That is nice to hear that Pearl will not be taken over just yet
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 05-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Pearl is the largest and most diversified drum company on earth. They're not going anywhere, or to anyone.
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.