Thread: one handed rolls with the left hand while its in trad grip.

User Info Menu

Default one handed rolls with the left hand while its in trad grip.

lately ive been trying to get thease down. and i know its the drop catch way that makes them easyer, but now that ive got that down how do i get it fast?
    thanks.
    dd
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

i dont even know how to do a 1 handed roll =(

Shazane Guest

In traditional grip I couldnt help you.

Try this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4s2yN6PIE

User Info Menu

thanks guys and laf on hat vid he shows matching one handed first so watch it and learn how to do it.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    i dont even know how to do a 1 handed roll =(
    PUSH PULL MY FRIEND.
    Push AND Pull!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

push pul... i finailly figured out how its done.. now i have to pratice it.. great

Shazane Guest

It's incredibly useful! I've been gravity rolling for awhile and just recently learned push-pull, it's alot more versatile, since you can transition to and from it in a instant and regulate tempo easily. I still prefer the gravity roll for blast beats though.

User Info Menu

Push and pull is great fun, I use it alot on my ride with my right hand whilst doing ghost notes on the snare, gives it a bluesy feel :p

User Info Menu

A one-handed drum roll will only impress other drummers.

The people that you need to impress are the people listening to your songs.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    A one-handed drum roll will only impress other drummers.

The people that you need to impress are the people listening to your songs.
    That's not true at all, for example, alot of what I write and play cannot be done without these techniques, unless you're superhumanly fast with your single strokes, and even then it would be a waste of energy when you could do it one handed. Even if you play a slower style than I, you can make some incredible rhythms by incorporating push pull, the audience may have no idea what you're doing but they'll like it. You should never purposefully not learn something, you never know what ways you can imagine to use it, even if it seems useless to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    That's not true at all, for example, alot of what I write and play cannot be done without these techniques, unless you're superhumanly fast with your single strokes, and even then it would be a waste of energy when you could do it one handed. Even if you play a slower style than I, you can make some incredible rhythms by incorporating push pull, the audience may have no idea what you're doing but they'll like it. You should never purposefully not learn something, you never know what ways you can imagine to use it, even if it seems useless to you.
    I think to clarify what he means is that it's not as important as other aspects of drumming.........at least that's what I think he means. I know quite a few fellow pro drummers and NONE of them can play the one handed roll. It's a cool trick but down on the list of things to learn. Blessings............

User Info Menu

I think to clarify what he means is that it's not as important as other aspects of drumming.........at least that's what I think he means. I know quite a few fellow pro drummers and NONE of them can play the one handed roll. It's a cool trick but down on the list of important things to learn. Blessings............

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    I think to clarify what he means is that it's not as important as other aspects of drumming.........at least that's what I think he means. I know quite a few fellow pro drummers and NONE of them can play the one handed roll. It's a cool trick but down on the list of important things to learn. Blessings............
    Depends on what you play also, it's one of the most important techniques there is for me.

User Info Menu

i agree with shazane on this one. for instance the reason why im working on it is i want to roll and crash on every 3 in a 4 triplet count. and thats almost imposible to do without lifting one stick from the roll to crash and then it sounds less smoth than i want on the roll, so i would rather just learn one handed rolls with my left hand.

User Info Menu

Depends on what you play also, it's one of the most important techniques there is for me.
    I'm sure it is for you but for younger/newer drummers like Davie, the cool tricks "can" be a distraction from other basics. All in all if you have lots of time to practice, I don't see anything wrong with learning this technique. I just don't like to see "tricks" being overemphasized. That's just my opinion. BTW what style to you play? Blessings.......

Shazane Guest

I'm sure it is for you but for younger/newer drummers like Davie, the cool tricks "can" be a distraction from other basics. All in all if you have lots of time to practice, I don't see anything wrong with learning this technique. I just don't like to see "tricks" being overemphasized. That's just my opinion. BTW what style to you play? Blessings.......
    My style primarily combines groove and technical death metal, most of what I write is to follow the lead or rhythm guitar, what that insinuates is alot of shift in tempo and time signature. I try to make everything as complicated as I can, meaning a roll shouldn't just be a roll, I like to have a hand free to keep rhythm to it or play a fill, that's why it's not just a trick to me, but an essential technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    i agree with shazane on this one. for instance the reason why im working on it is i want to roll and crash on every 3 in a 4 triplet count. and thats almost imposible to do without lifting one stick from the roll to crash and then it sounds less smoth than i want on the roll, so i would rather just learn one handed rolls with my left hand.
    Have you heard of something called a Swiss Triplet? I think it's like RFlam L R or LFlam R L
    Play it backwards and it should go like LRF RLF. I'm sure that when you play it on a kit, after a bit of practice slowed down, you should be able to get a good sticking pattern going. IMO it's probably worth doing this more than learning one handed rolls because you have to get very good at them, otherwise they sound sloppy, but it's your decision.
    So, LRF, and I think your left arm should start on snare, then move to crash, crashing with the second right arm, yeah? Then you do it again but with your right arm starting, then going to the cymbal, then crashing.
    So I guess, snare drum wise, it's a single from one hand, then a double on the other. You seem like a very competent drummer, I hope you're able to use this and the one handed roll and see which you prefer.

User Info Menu

My style primarily combines groove and technical death metal, most of what I write is to follow the lead or rhythm guitar, what that insinuates is alot of shift in tempo and time signature. I try to make everything as complicated as I can, meaning a roll shouldn't just be a roll, I like to have a hand free to keep rhythm to it or play a fill, that's why it's not just a trick to me, but an essential technique.
    Sounds cool man, push the limits. I'm sure you've heard of Jo Jo Mayer? He's not metal but has some techno/new wave/whatever influences that incorporate fast hand/feet speed. He basically said he wants to be able to play the beats (you'd normally program) and put a human feel and touch on them. Of course some just can't be done, but he's trying all sorts of variations/speeds/time signatures that are quite interesting. Take care. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

hey thanks ethal that is realy cool. i like how it plays.
    oh and middle man ive been known to practice 7hrs a day everyday for the past year i can handle the bassics.

User Info Menu

Sorry I was just going off of your video I saw. I've been playing 20 years and I still get "lazy" on some basics I need to go back to from time to time. Seven hours a day?...wow keep it up man that's awesome! Blessings.......
    Last edited by middleman; 10-29-2007 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I think to clarify what he means is that it's not as important as other aspects of drumming.........at least that's what I think he means. I know quite a few fellow pro drummers and NONE of them can play the one handed roll. It's a cool trick but down on the list of things to learn. Blessings............
    Yep, that's what I meant.

I've always believed that tempo and feel should be mastered first. Very few drummers can do a one-handed roll (myself included). Techniques like these should be considered only after you've learned the important stuff, and there a lot of things higher on the list.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Sorry I was just going off of your video I saw. I've been playing 20 years and I still get "lazy" on some basics I need to go back to from time to time. Seven hours a day?...wow keep it up man that's awesome! Blessings.......
    hey man dont apologise i aprechiate the imput and probably came across wrong in what i ment. i chose something advanced that i want to get down on top of my normal basics, i dont thnik even im crazy enugh to practice one thing for 7hrs.
    sorry if i came across rude.

User Info Menu

Default Re: one handed rolls with the left hand while its in trad grip.

where is this video that you saw? I would definitely like to see Davie drum. Especially since he practices 7 hours a day!
    What if this was a hypothetical question?