Thread: Found a band

User Info Menu

Default Found a band

I have not had a gig since last August I think it was. I was not putting any effort into finding anything, combination of too much life stuff on the go, and the fact the music scene generally sucks last 3-4 years.
    I did not have the energy to network, either online or out in local jams etc. I told a few friends, if something falls into my lap, I will probably just do it to get out and play. I am not fussy, I can have fun and inject some style into any situation.
    So my drummer friend Warren recommended me to some guys. They are my age, old, so no hang ups with being a frustrated youngster not becoming a rock star fast enough. They had been searching for months for a good drummer and were very close to settling on good enough when I called. After seeing some video, they blew off the two guys in line before me, we got together and things clicked together pretty good.
    They have a little Bose PA, one guy is a hobby recording engineer with a decent little home studio. What they lack in shredding ability, they all make up for in vocal ability, and my vocals blended so easily, it shocked me. Harmony never appeared so easily in any band I have played with.
    They have gigs booked doing cover tunes, typical stuff, Zac Brown, classic rock and country. Then an original project is brewing on the side.
    I am sure I will post up some video as it tightens up.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Default Re: Found a band

Sounds like fun.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Congrats man you feel more comfortable playing with guys your own age. Your friend Warren is that the one that is a member here.

User Info Menu

No, don't think he is a member here. I have known Warren for 25-30 years, good player and he has commissioned me to build a few snare drums for him. Typical drum hoarder.

User Info Menu

Very cool. Congrats!

User Info Menu

that's great man! Congrats

User Info Menu

That sounds like an optimal set of circumstances for a band. Everything sounds like it will fit right in place, should be no reason you all won't get along well - which is so important for bands. Best of luck with the new group!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Congrats! Sounds like everything is falling into place. Best of luck!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

How many people in the band? What instruments?

User Info Menu

Excellent. Still waiting for my fantasy band.

al the best...

User Info Menu

Finding that perfect mix of players is a great feeling, isn't it? I've had that happen a couple of times. One of the best experiences in the world is sitting down to do the first song together, then seeing the other band members smile at each other and nod approvingly. I can remember being invited to audition with a young group of quite talented and experienced modern-country music players whose group was largely the backing band for an up and coming singer/songwriter who was on a roll at the time. I was considerably older than them, and had been given the audition primarily because they were in a tight for a drummer. They had a year's worth of gigs already booked when they fired their original drummer. Fortunately, I had just left a hard working, energetic country band that played three nights a week, so my chops were solid. I could tell by the smirking that the band members were shocked that the leader had invited the old guy to play drums with them, but by the time we got to the chorus of the first song I saw those smiles light up. We locked in perfectly immediately, and I spent the next couple of years with them until the leader's marital problems put the band out of business.

Those types of immediate comfort among a group of players don't happen often, but, when they do, the resulting groups have a tendency to last a while. We all live for those times, and that's what keeps us going thru thick and thin. Thanks for posting your experience.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Just a standard 4 piece, bass, drums, lead and rhythm guitars, everyone sings. Bass is originally a keyboard player so there may still be room for that in some form.
    As people get older, life beats the crap out of you which seems to deflate egos and attitudes, which then makes for far less personality clashes. People tend to mellow out and grow thicker skin with age. I've always considered bands like a marriage, only you have 4-6 people who need to click, get along, cope with each other. I also took it much more seriously when I was younger.

User Info Menu

Over the years I've also learned that I don't associate much with band members in other settings or circles.............we play music together and that is it.

I don't want to live with them;
    I don't want to party with them;
    I don't want to date them;
    I just want to succeed in making the music sound great and then go home.

Using this creed will ensure that if there is ever any conflict, it will be in the context of the music and never anything else.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Finding that perfect mix of players is a great feeling, isn't it? I've had that happen a couple of times. One of the best experiences in the world is sitting down to do the first song together, then seeing the other band members smile at each other and nod approvingly. I can remember being invited to audition with a young group of quite talented and experienced modern-country music players whose group was largely the backing band for an up and coming singer/songwriter who was on a roll at the time. I was considerably older than them, and had been given the audition primarily because they were in a tight for a drummer. They had a year's worth of gigs already booked when they fired their original drummer. Fortunately, I had just left a hard working, energetic country band that played three nights a week, so my chops were solid. I could tell by the smirking that the band members were shocked that the leader had invited the old guy to play drums with them, but by the time we got to the chorus of the first song I saw those smiles light up. We locked in perfectly immediately, and I spent the next couple of years with them until the leader's marital problems put the band out of business.

Those types of immediate comfort among a group of players don't happen often, but, when they do, the resulting groups have a tendency to last a while. We all live for those times, and that's what keeps us going thru thick and thin. Thanks for posting your experience.

GeeDeeEmm
    Couldn't agree more...nothing beats being on the same page with other musicians right off the bat. When something clicks, it works. The unspoken language of music is a beautiful thing when you can anticipate changes without even looking at one another. Make the hair on my arms stand up when it happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Over the years I've also learned that I don't associate much with band members in other settings or circles.............we play music together and that is it.

I don't want to live with them;
    I don't want to party with them;
    I don't want to date them;
    I just want to succeed in making the music sound great and then go home.

Using this creed will ensure that if there is ever any conflict, it will be in the context of the music and never anything else.
    I don't know. I can understand your point. I enjoy going out after gigs with the members of one band. We go to a restaurant that has great chili and each have a bowl of chili. People sometimes recognize us in our costumes and we end up talking to fans. It's just a fun, very cool experience that we do after many of our shows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I have not had a gig since last August I think it was. I was not putting any effort into finding anything, combination of too much life stuff on the go, and the fact the music scene generally sucks last 3-4 years.
    I did not have the energy to network, either online or out in local jams etc. I told a few friends, if something falls into my lap, I will probably just do it to get out and play. I am not fussy, I can have fun and inject some style into any situation.
    So my drummer friend Warren recommended me to some guys. They are my age, old, so no hang ups with being a frustrated youngster not becoming a rock star fast enough. They had been searching for months for a good drummer and were very close to settling on good enough when I called. After seeing some video, they blew off the two guys in line before me, we got together and things clicked together pretty good.
    They have a little Bose PA, one guy is a hobby recording engineer with a decent little home studio. What they lack in shredding ability, they all make up for in vocal ability, and my vocals blended so easily, it shocked me. Harmony never appeared so easily in any band I have played with.
    They have gigs booked doing cover tunes, typical stuff, Zac Brown, classic rock and country. Then an original project is brewing on the side.
    I am sure I will post up some video as it tightens up.
    Wow! Sounds like you found what you were looking for in a band!

That sounds like all the types of music I love to listen to most of the time.
    You'll have to keep us updated as to how it's going.

Take care!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim