Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical issues and drumming

User Info Menu

Default Medical issues and drumming

I just answered a post about eating before a gig which lead me to this thought. Does anyone have a serious medical condition that gets in the way of drumming? I'm not talking about a bad back or arthritis...I have a bad one of those too.
    Specifically, I'm a type I diabetic and have been for 28 years. It's a serious issue during a gig and my blood sugar plummets and there's not much I can do about it. During practice, if I start playing sloppy or tuned out - it means I'm losing it and I need to eat something. Before a gig, I'll get my blood sugar higher than normal so I don't get too low, but it's definitely happened before.
    Anyhoo, just curious if anyone shared a similar affliction. All the best,

User Info Menu

Default Re: Medical issues and drumming

Yes I was diagnose with COPD 14 years ago and am very limited to my drumming. This is one of the reason why I do not gig or jam anymore just don't have the lungs to play very long. Temperature changes, perfumes, air fresheners etc affect me a lot. No fun being a sick drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I just answered a post about eating before a gig which lead me to this thought. Does anyone have a serious medical condition that gets in the way of drumming? I'm not talking about a bad back or arthritis...I have a bad one of those too.
    Specifically, I'm a type I diabetic and have been for 28 years. It's a serious issue during a gig and my blood sugar plummets and there's not much I can do about it. During practice, if I start playing sloppy or tuned out - it means I'm losing it and I need to eat something. Before a gig, I'll get my blood sugar higher than normal so I don't get too low, but it's definitely happened before.
    I have type2 diabetes and I have to really be careful and keep a close watch on my sugar. I have a lot of trouble with it dropping out too low and making me feel as though I am passing out. I get shaky, weak, and nauseous when it bottoms out. I have to check it each time before I drive to make sure it's not going to be a problem driving. I have had to pull over before and take some glucose because of it.

Take care
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    I have type2 diabetes and I have to really be careful and keep a close watch on my sugar. I have a lot of trouble with it dropping out too low and making me feel as though I am passing out. I get shaky, weak, and nauseous when it bottoms out. I have to check it each time before I drive to make sure it's not going to be a problem driving. I have had to pull over before and take some glucose because of it.

Take care
    Jim
    Wow guys, I didn't realize that Diabetes could be that volatile or disabling. I always assumed you take your shot/meds in the morning, watch what you eat and you were good to go. Glad you're able to manage it somewhat effectively. What did people do 100 years ago? Did doctors back then know much about it? Did people with it just not live very long?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Have you considered an insulin pump?
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Dang, I feel for y'all. Seriously. I'll never complain about a bleeding finger again. Ever.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow guys, I didn't realize that Diabetes could be that volatile or disabling. I always assumed you take your shot/meds in the morning, watch what you eat and you were good to go. Glad you're able to manage it somewhat effectively. What did people do 100 years ago? Did doctors back then know much about it? Did people with it just not live very long?
    100 years ago people mostly just died. Thank God for 2 Canadian guys (Banting and Best) who figured out how to derive insulin from a dog's pancreas.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I guess old age doesn't really count as a medical issue. It's easy sometimes to doze off in the middle of a slow song!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    100 years ago people mostly just died. Thank God for 2 Canadian guys (Banting and Best) who figured out how to derive insulin from a dog's pancreas.

all the best...
    you got it...when I was first diagnosed back in 1988, I took bovine insulin. Technology has come so far it's pretty impressive. I'm on an insulin pump and I have a continuous glucose monitor which tells me what my blood sugar is at all times. It has definitely helped during gigs because I can anticipate a low, but it has gotten bad in the past where my blood sugar drops so low and I don't even know where I am - let alone where in the song I am!
    I used to take 8 shots a day, poked my finger 5-8 times a day...now, I don't have to do that thankfully.

User Info Menu

I am another Type I diabetic. I was 8 1/2 back in 1976 when I was diagnosed. Started playing drums and sports at the same age. What a challenge for my mom! And, I'm the youngest of six kids!
    Anyway, after 38 glorious years of injections and finger sticks multiple times a day, it's not any easier to maintain blood sugar. The whole condition is a flat out drag that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.
    Low blood sugar is decidedly inconvenient, too. Never happens as I'm walking past an ice cream shop. Always during practice, a gig, a movie, or whilst expressing my love, to be delicate.
    An insulin pump is a nice idea, but it's still not a fully functioning pancreas. I tried one for a couple of months several years back. Totally hated wearing the thing 24/7. Bedtime and going to the bathroom were my least favorite times with the pump. The insertion of the cannula was much more painful then my usual injections, too. Add to that the inertia of a 25+ year regimen of injections, and voila...here I am.Still doing it "old school".
    Besides the immense day to day challenge of maintaining blood sugar, we have the lovely burden of knowing that we have to be on the watch for changes in our kidney function, vision, sensation in our feet and fingers, coronary arteries, and, for the men, probable erectile dysfunction.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm whining or whatever. Just seemed a little education was needed. It's nice to know there are other diabetic drummers facing the same battle as I am day to day!

Rock on, my sweet-blooded brothers and sisters!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

i feel for you guys, thank the lord i don't suffer from anything like that.

all the best
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Thanks, man. The beauty part is that it's not a condition that shows itself readily to people around us. I have friends/coworkers that have no idea I'm diabetic for years before it comes up.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Thanks, man. The beauty part is that it's not a condition that shows itself readily to people around us. I have friends/coworkers that have no idea I'm diabetic for years before it comes up.
    Which is probably the reason people like myself are so unfamiliar with it. I'm sure many people I know are diabetic, but I have no clue. They never complain or talk about it. Which leads me to believe that you guys are a tough lot!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I am another Type I diabetic. I was 8 1/2 back in 1976 when I was diagnosed. Started playing drums and sports at the same age. What a challenge for my mom! And, I'm the youngest of six kids!
    Anyway, after 38 glorious years of injections and finger sticks multiple times a day, it's not any easier to maintain blood sugar. The whole condition is a flat out drag that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.
    Low blood sugar is decidedly inconvenient, too. Never happens as I'm walking past an ice cream shop. Always during practice, a gig, a movie, or whilst expressing my love, to be delicate.
    An insulin pump is a nice idea, but it's still not a fully functioning pancreas. I tried one for a couple of months several years back. Totally hated wearing the thing 24/7. Bedtime and going to the bathroom were my least favorite times with the pump. The insertion of the cannula was much more painful then my usual injections, too. Add to that the inertia of a 25+ year regimen of injections, and voila...here I am.Still doing it "old school".
    Besides the immense day to day challenge of maintaining blood sugar, we have the lovely burden of knowing that we have to be on the watch for changes in our kidney function, vision, sensation in our feet and fingers, coronary arteries, and, for the men, probable erectile dysfunction.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm whining or whatever. Just seemed a little education was needed. It's nice to know there are other diabetic drummers facing the same battle as I am day to day!

Rock on, my sweet-blooded brothers and sisters!
    Right on man...nice to know there are other type 1's out there! I'd give the pump another go. They've come a long way and the continuous glucose monitor is a miracle. Changed my life completely. I totally hear you on the inconvenient low blood sugars - always happens when you least expect it and I hate getting grief from my wife about it. I remember back in college playing and my band mates would stop and be like, what song are you playing? I have no idea...where am I? I always have to stop during practice and eat a snickers. But, the only way someone would know I was diabetic if they saw my tattoo or saw my insulin pump. It's not as bad as most think it is...it's just part of our life we have to live with. It would be worse!

User Info Menu

Not to get too far OT but the diabetes symptoms you guys are describing are kinda what I go through. If I don't eat breakfast or not enough and start any physical activity, I start feeling dizzy and shaky. First thing I notice is my lower legs feel cold. Then the dizziness and blurred vision. If I eat and give it about 5 minutes it goes away.
    Funny thing is I have recently had blood work at a diabetes clinic for another issue and they never said anything about diabetes.
    Does that sound like what you guys are going through? I can imagine that getting in the way big time when you're at a gig.

User Info Menu

I had a bacterial infection in my brain that mimicked the symptoms of lyme disease when I was 14 but I tested negative for the confirmation test for lyme, to this day I have no idea what I had but I generally tell people I had lyme since that's just easier to say, I am now 18. I received some permanent damage, I still have issues with chronic fatigue, insomnia, auditory perception issues(my hearing is (mostly)perfect but my brain doesn't decipher words correctly), tinnitus, and pain with loud noises. I've learned to deal with it for the most part, but it does affect my drumming significantly.

That's enough of that sob story though...
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
    Not to get too far OT but the diabetes symptoms you guys are describing are kinda what I go through. If I don't eat breakfast or not enough and start any physical activity, I start feeling dizzy and shaky. First thing I notice is my lower legs feel cold. Then the dizziness and blurred vision. If I eat and give it about 5 minutes it goes away.
    Funny thing is I have recently had blood work at a diabetes clinic for another issue and they never said anything about diabetes.
    Does that sound like what you guys are going through? I can imagine that getting in the way big time when you're at a gig.
    It doesn't sound like diabetes to me. You definitely have symptoms of hypoglycemia - which happens when your blood sugar gets lower than normal. If you had diabetes, you'd have high blood sugars if you were going untreated. It's not all that uncommon - many people have these symptoms when you haven't eaten - get cranky, get shaky, confusion, etc. Some more than others obviously, but really the only thing you can do is eat!

User Info Menu

It doesn't sound like diabetes to me. You definitely have symptoms of hypoglycemia - which happens when your blood sugar gets lower than normal. If you had diabetes, you'd have high blood sugars if you were going untreated. It's not all that uncommon - many people have these symptoms when you haven't eaten - get cranky, get shaky, confusion, etc. Some more than others obviously, but really the only thing you can do is eat!
    This

User Info Menu

Right on man...nice to know there are other type 1's out there! I'd give the pump another go. They've come a long way and the continuous glucose monitor is a miracle. Changed my life completely. I totally hear you on the inconvenient low blood sugars - always happens when you least expect it and I hate getting grief from my wife about it. I remember back in college playing and my band mates would stop and be like, what song are you playing? I have no idea...where am I? I always have to stop during practice and eat a snickers. But, the only way someone would know I was diabetic if they saw my tattoo or saw my insulin pump. It's not as bad as most think it is...it's just part of our life we have to live with. It would be worse!
    It could be much much worse!
    I guess I need to look into the newest pumps and give it a serious think. Thanks.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

- many people have these symptoms when you haven't eaten - get cranky, get shaky, confusion, etc. Some more than others obviously!
    I know a lot of people with those EXACT same symptoms. They usually manifest themselves about 3-5 years after the wedding....
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I have type 1 diabetes and have had to stop playing. I have lost most of the feeling in my feet and my hands come in and out of being numb. I"m also loosing my vision from diabetes. Besides not drumming I can no longer drive a car and it's even tuff to walk. The sad part is I'm only 49. Have not driven a car in 5 years. I still try do some drum building when my hands allow. I use. a floor standing magnifying lamp when I can work on things. I'm working on a cherry stave snare shell right now. May take a while but it will get finished.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
    As previously mentioned it does sound a lot like hypoglycemia. I have that, and I usually get the shakes, sometimes intestinal discomfort, mood swings, sweats, paleness, or dizzy spells. Since I nowadays just play at my friend's house, we eat dinner together before playing for the night.

Marginally related, but another guitar player friend of mine passed away last year from diabetes at the age of 31. He stood up, fainted, and hit his head on the way down. Local pub has a plaque in his honor. :(
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Diabetes is a deadly painful decease. The only control is what you eat. Bread, cakes, cookies, fried foods, sodas etc are the worst as they peak your sugar. I have known people who had diabetes real bad and they change their eating habits, are a lot better and out of danger. So guys if you have it or just border line watch your diet.

User Info Menu

Because I was stupid when I was much younger, I am now sporting 5 herniated discs in my neck. Three are moderate. Two are severe. Two motorcycle accidents didn't help much either. Anyways, I get the telltale hand/finger numbness sometimes in the middle of a gig. It comes and goes, but it gets a little tricky holding onto sticks sometimes. Every now and then I use this little gadget that helps me hang onto the sticks. It's sort of a large rubber band thing. I can't remember what it's called, but it has helped me out when needed.

User Info Menu

our bassist is a severe diabetic. This weekend he actually gave us a scare.

He's such a dumb dumb though he should be prepared for these things. Bring food or supplies when we travel but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, brightest crayon in the box kind of guy...