Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I love Craigslist

User Info Menu

Default 1978 6.5x14 Acrolite... Why I love Craigslist

10 ORIGINAL Imperial lugs on a 1978 6.5x14 Acrolite......I'll let the picture do the talking!

Last edited by Rotarded; 04-30-2015 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why I love Craigslist

Very nice.

User Info Menu

a beauty .. nice going..
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You know, I was wondering, since it has ten lugs it may me a powder coated supraphonic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    You know, I was wondering, since it has ten lugs it may me a powder coated supraphonic.
    My thoughts exactly... if so it was an incredible job as it looks amazing and original. Either way: Enjoy the incredible drum Rotarded!!
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Good score man congrats.

User Info Menu

The story I was told was that it was purchased at a school auction many years ago. There were no other specifics than that known by the previous owner. It has a number engraved in it that is covered by the snare side hoop. It's definitely and Acrolite, and the original lugs. The 130XXXX serial number on the B/O badge places it in early 1978.

Last edited by Rotarded; 05-01-2015 at 07:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    The 130XXXX serial number on the B/O badge places it in early 1978.
    Yep............looking at your first photo of the badge, my first thought was 1970s.
    Nice score on a really nice snare drum !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

now that's a great find!!

User Info Menu

I don't know too much about 70's Ludwigs, but I imagine that snare may be a bit on the rare side.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Nice score! I'm heading out now to look at some stuff a guy has listed on CL. Says he has an extremely large collection of vintage drum kits, shells, cymbals, project drums, etc. That he needs to get rid of. I doubt iI'll find anything in my budget, but it's a good way to spend a Friday afternoon.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice score. That is one of the ones on my list of "wants".
    I scan C'slist all the time just in case someone doesn't know what they have. Missed out on a rare Roger's snare a couple months ago by two hours.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Nice snare Rotard, you will be glad that you bought it. They do sound good. I usually see them go for about 250 bucks.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I don't know too much about 70's Ludwigs, but I imagine that snare may be a bit on the rare side.
    It is rare. It seems to be much more rare than I knew.

Pictures were posted on the Ludwig Drum Collectors FB page and the responses have been surprising to say the least. I know you cant believe everything you read on the intra-web..............

.......but DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNN!

For those who have a facebook account, Search "1978 Acrolite".

For those who don't, here is a few of the responses:

Is it New York School system?? I heard they only made a couple hundred?

Very rare , only ever seen one other . Extremely good find .

I have never seen a picture of a 6.5 x 14!!

Extremely rare. Nice find. Hold onto it.

I have one of these from NYC schools. Great drum! Nice find

It's rare enough to find one with imperial lugs but 6.5"? Wow. Really rare.

Ludwig never offered these in their catalogs. They only built limited batches for school systems that ordered them.

Didn't know that the NYC school drums had Imperial lugs. I thought that were bowties...like a regular Acrolite, just more of 'em! Thanks for posting it!

Wow how much? Want anything in trade?

Nice. Those are very rare. Special NYC School snares. I think limited? 50 or 100 made?

Yeah only 100 I think

$500 cash???

I think not, I've watched them sell from $700-$1100 on eBay I think I've seen 4 So far.
    Last edited by Rotarded; 05-02-2015 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow, you pretty much got everyone's attention on the FB page, lol. The story all fits; the previous owner bought it at a school auction, the engraved number is most likely a material asset tag for a school or government, and the Ludwig guys are saying they were special built for schools. What a great score! Congrats!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    The story I was told was that it was purchased at a school auction many years ago. There were no other specifics than that known by the previous owner. It has a number engraved in it that is covered by the snare side hoop. It's definitely and Acrolite, and the original lugs. The 130XXXX serial number on the B/O badge places it in early 1978.

All 14x6.5" acro's have 10 lugs. The fact it was purchased at a school auction helps nail it. They were only ordered to some schools in New York, I believe. Pretty sure the originals had bowtie lugs but may have been ordered with the imperial style? If that's the case, the drum is even more rare with the imperial lugs?! Great drum whatsoever.
    The one I've seen before had the keystone badge (pictured below). Now I'm concerned the time period they were offered previously.

Last edited by Olimpass; 05-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    My thoughts exactly... if so it was an incredible job as it looks amazing and original. Either way: Enjoy the incredible drum Rotarded!!
    I believe when these Acro's for the NY school system were made, they were just basically 405 Supraphonic shells that were not chromed.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow.......gorgeous.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

A baseball bat internal muffler control? WOW

Now I'M getting G.A.S... dang it!

all the best

User Info Menu

Rotarded, if I go to the drumshow, (and most likely will) I will have the pics of your drum and ask some pro's like Bun E. Carlos etc. about your drum. I'm curious myself about it.
    The reason I'm curious is the drum I have pictured is a keystone badge 1967 and yours is a B/O badge 1978. That's a long stretch for a limited run drum.
    Would that be alright with you? Well, I guess I can always ask without pictures too.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-03-2015 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow nice find!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Rotarded, if I go to the drumshow, (and most likely will) I will have the pics of your drum and ask some pro's like Bun E. Carlos etc. about your drum. I'm curious myself about it.
    The reason I'm curious is the drum I have pictured is a keystone badge 1967 and yours is a B/O badge 1978. That's a long stretch for a limited run drum.
    Would that be alright with you? Well, I guess I can always ask without pictures too.
    You would have my eternal gratitude my friend! I will even go so far as to PM you my cell number so you can text/call me if you need more pics. Unfortunately I don't have any information other than what i posted from the gentleman I purchased it from.

Michael

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You have to be ready to jump on things when they show up on CL or E-Bay, (although I don't buy from CL, too many bad stories). I'm up late at night and I'll check E-Bay out about once a month.

The Acrolite----$50. Even though it's only 8 lug, it's in great shape and well worth $50.

The Black Magic I bought here after meeting a guy in the local music store who couldn't tune it to how he wanted it. $100 for a 2 week old drum.

The Dyna-Sonic---$300 and it's mint.

The Keystone Black Beauty Super Sensitive. Bought from a guy that was trying to become a collector. I doubt he knew what he had. $300 or $325, I really don't remember because it was about 6 years ago.

The Custom A's. They were used in a clinic once. $485 for a 20" ride, 16" 17", 18" crashes and the hats.

There are a ton of bargains (steals) out there, you just have to look for them.

Your drum is a beauty.

User Info Menu

Nice Rick!

I have had great success on CL. Here was my other "Mega Score".

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...11&postcount=1

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=27

I sold the Tama Kit and Paistes for $200. So I effectively paid $300 in for the Ludwigs/Zildjians
    Last edited by Rotarded; 05-03-2015 at 06:03 PM.