Thread: Low Hi-hat Stands

User Info Menu

Default Low Hi-hat Stands

So I have the perfect hi-hat stand for what I'm looking for, except it doesn't go low enough. I'll cut the pull rod shorter, but the top tube is as low as it can go and it's still too high for the set-up I am trying to create (I want my hats very low). So, has anyone tried to cut the bottom part of a hi-hat stand? Like maybe from the top of the bottom tube?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Low Hi-hat Stands

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    So I have the perfect hi-hat stand for what I'm looking for, except it doesn't go low enough. I'll cut the pull rod shorter, but the top tube is as low as it can go and it's still too high for the set-up I am trying to create (I want my hats very low). So, has anyone tried to cut the bottom part of a hi-hat stand? Like maybe from the top of the bottom tube?
    If I lower my Tama Roadpro hi hat stand as far as it will go there is still about 3" of the top tube visible. If I wanted to lower this further I would have to cut up to 3" from the Top tube - the lowest I can achieve without cutting would be just under 30 inches from floor to the top hat which for me would be far too low to play - by cutting the top tube I could reduce this to about 27 inches.

What height are you trying to achieve?

User Info Menu

There is not any extra space on this one, when the top tube is lowered all the way there is no extra metal to cut from it. Is there any reason many hi-hat stands have a longer top tube like this? For example if you lower a cymbal stand top then the entire tube is inside of the larger one below it.
    This is for a more unusual set-up, and in order to make it work the height needs to be lower than 30".

User Info Menu

There is not any extra space on this one, when the top tube is lowered all the way there is no extra metal to cut from it. Is there any reason many hi-hat stands have a longer top tube like this? For example if you lower a cymbal stand top then the entire tube is inside of the larger one below it.
    This is for a more unusual set-up, and in order to make it work the height needs to be lower than 30".
    But regular cymbal stands don't have a spring and joint mechanism in the lower tube to take up space.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    But regular cymbal stands don't have a spring and joint mechanism in the lower tube to take up space.

all the best...
    I don't see why that would effect the tube hight, as the mechanism is right in the middle. I think cutting some off would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wit regards to the length of the top tube - manufacturers are probably trying to cover as many bases as possible - both my hi hat stands (Tama and Sonor ) have over 12" adjustment for height which for me is ample - if I lower my hats as far as possible my hats would be at about the same height as my snare - as I play 'crossed' I would constantly be hitting my sticks together. If the top tube were shorter, although it you could achieve a lower height setting it would not be much use for tall people.

Cymbal stands are designed so they can collapse into themselves so they can fit your average hardware case - with hi hat stands the tubes have to be separated so you can unscrew the rod, otherwise you would need a much longer hardware case and the rod would be prone to damage. Even though HH stand tubes are generally longer, when you fold up the legs the overall length remains the same(if that makes any sense?), unlike cymbal stands which require longer legs to achieve a larger footprint - when you fold up a cymbal stand you will find that the legs extend beyond the length of the tube. Even though cymbal stands tend to be comprised of three sections when collapsed they tend to be approximately the same length as the hi hat stand because of the length of the legs.

Why do you need your hats to be so low - are you considering a mini kit similar to the ones that Wonder1 builds?

User Info Menu

Just cut off the end of the top tube until you get the height you want. Just be sure to use a pipe cutter tool to do it. Trust me. I've done this dozens of times and it works just fine. Cut off 1" at a time till you get it right.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Crispycritters: I am having the hats low because they will not even be on the left side for this setup, it is slightly more percussion-oriented and some regular drumset items are not used (such as a kick drum). For the position it needs to be in, I wouldn't be crossing to play it, so I'd like it close to my snare level which is also very low.

GeeDeeEmm: What I am saying is the top tube does not have any leftover space. When it's all the way down, it's like a regular cymbal stand in that there is no extra tubing. The base itself is too high. I am going to play around with it to see if I can get it to work as/is, cutting the pull rod will at least give me some room to work with even if the hats themselves are not lower.

User Info Menu

GeeDeeEmm: What I am saying is the top tube does not have any leftover space. When it's all the way down, it's like a regular cymbal stand in that there is no extra tubing. The base itself is too high. I am going to play around with it to see if I can get it to work as/is, cutting the pull rod will at least give me some room to work with even if the hats themselves are not lower.
    OK, I see your problem now. The solution would be to shorten the bottom (main) tube along with the rod, if necessary. This is not the daunting task that it would seem to be at first glance. I don't know what type of stand you own, but in the past here is what I've done, and it seems it would work with all the stand constructions I'm familiar with. Simply remove your pull rod from its anchor location on the chain, belt, or lever attached to the toe of the pedal. Then remove the entire plastic hi hat seat from the top of the main tube. Most of these are a friction fit, so the seat should slip off the end of the tube. If the main tube remains the same diameter from top to bottom, just cut off the length needed to achieve your ideal height. If the tube is tapered at the top, you will need to completely remove the main tube from the leg and the bottom assembly in order to remove some tube. This may entail re-drilling the bottom assembly locating screw, depending on the attachment method. Just duplicate the screw hole pattern of the length of pipe you removed. At this point you simply need to reassemble the stand. It's much easier than it sounds. It's just a bunch of pipes, screws, springs and such that were assembled by another human being (we assume), so it's not the proverbial brain surgery. Hope this helps.

GeeDeeEmm