Thread: Metronome recommendations needed.

User Info Menu

Smile Metronome recommendations needed.

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a metronome and thought I'd come here for help. It seems like the one that gets the best reviews is the Korg TM50 tuner/metronome, and I may possibly go that route (the tuner is a good feature as I am in school), but I thought I'd see if any of you had other recommendations.

I need one that does subdivisions (eight notes, sixteenth notes, triplets, etc.). It WOULD be cool if it could do clave. I don't want to pay like $75, though, so if that's what it takes to get a clave feature...I guess no clave for me. I just need a small metronome, not one of those big ones. Essentially something to keep with me for practicing and to have on the go that will be dependable.

Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Metronome recommendations needed.

honestly, you're better off just getting free one's for your phone from what you've written. I mostly use mobile metronome and if I want to do something with only one beat per bar, i used metronome beats. I'm pretty sure i have these two simply because they are the most popular, and that there are better free ones out there.

Feel free to send me $40 for saving you money...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    honestly, you're better off just getting free one's for your phone from what you've written. I mostly use mobile metronome and if I want to do something with only one beat per bar, i used metronome beats. I'm pretty sure i have these two simply because they are the most popular, and that there are better free ones out there.

I don't have a phone like that. In the mean time SEIKO is about as inexpensive and reliable as you can go.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If you have a laptop, a decent set of noise-cancelling headphones, and possibly a 1/8" headphone extension cable, here you go:

User Info Menu

I have a Tama Rhythm watch and it works well................I don't use it a much anymore................we use the clicks and cues through the sound system..............I believe it's Ableton software

User Info Menu

I've used this site for practice as well...........................works great

http://bestdrumtrainer.com/tt/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

I agree with jgziegler. A phone app is best suited for you. I use the Dr. Beat90 which was well north of $100 USD at the time of purchase. It's bulky according to your needs and probably has too many "bells and whistles" than you need. Good luck Zack....good to see you posting up. How's your back feeling these days?? Still ache when you play??
    Last edited by late8; 12-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I don't have a phone like that. In the mean time SEIKO is about as inexpensive and reliable as you can go.

all the best...
    They've been giving away smart phones for a few years now, and that's in czech republic where everything is expensive...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. Something about having a separate one seems enticing (I'm sure you can all understand that), but I'll certainly look for an app that will suit my needs.

Late8, things do seem better. Not perfect, but better. In school my instructor noticed I was playing off to the side of the set so we changed that. I think I've made a pretty good improvement on that end of things!

User Info Menu

BOSS DB-30

Small....Line Out, does subdivisions and Clave. Tap...blah blah blah.

I have one....use it all the time. Been using it for 3 years or so....a lot.

You'll love it and it wont break the bank.

$35/40

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

If you have the need for a tuner (as for guitars or basses) the Peterson StroboPlus HD has the ability to do an almost infinite amount of metronome settings. It's not cheap (~$140) but it's truly super. In case you ever come into some extra cash!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I use the Silver Wheel metronome app. It works great for me when I play live. Lots of good subdivision options. Also FREE.

It holds a lot of presets, so I like to use it live. I can program song names into it and just swipe my screen to switch between presets. Super convenient.

User Info Menu

I love my Dr. Beat