Thread: Dum set in college

User Info Menu

Default Dum set in college

Just curious what you did in college if you went for a drum set. I am going to be about 8 hours away from my kit and possibly 12 when the winter time comes. I plan on doing their pep band but I really want a set with me. I know they have music rooms in all the halls. But what other ways could I go. I don't really want a practice pad set i would prefer something that i can get sound from.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dum set in college

Some of the jungle kits are not very big.

User Info Menu

When I went to college, after a good first semester to reassure the folks, I was allowed to bring my set. I had already met some fantastic musicians with whom I was later to be in more than one successful band. We got permission to use a room in the basement of my dorm. They gave us a key and we left our gear there.

User Info Menu

Depending on the living situation, an E-kit might be the best alternative. I can't really speak from experience though, I never went to college. Education is important, but music is importanter!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

If you have to keep the noise down I'd go for an E-Kit. If you don't have to worry about the noise then a jungle kit or one of these Breakbeats by Ludwig would do the trick. I love this kit. I play it in church every Sunday. Takes up as much room as my Roland TD-11 that I had. Our stage is really small so my 5 piece full size Tama won't fit on the stage. The Breakbeats shell pack is only $400 and it comes with cloth bags for each drum, which can also be left on the shells while you play to mute them.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Perhaps the department of music will allow you to use one of their drum practice rooms.
    We had 5 or 6 Sonor bop kits and we could practice all we wanted.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I would either use an e-kit if it had to be in the college dorm room, or i'd put my kit in a storage unit nearby where I could access and play it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Rocked a small 4 piece with mesh heads in my apartment. Still drove everyone nuts haha

User Info Menu

I went 2000mi away from home for college so I wasn't able to bring my kit. I picked up guitar instead...I'd go and play at a music studio/rehearsal space when I felt the urge

User Info Menu

See if there's a space at the college where you can play a kit, otherwise get an E-kit. I'd also investigate some of the churches that have contemporary services and ask if they would be alright with you practicing on their set. Some might be okay with it but in my experience the churches do not own the set so you'll have to get in good with the church drummer. It becomes about 12,000 times easier to convince them to let you practice if you attend the church and they know you're not going to steal or break it.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

ok so basically try to make connections. The school I'm going to doesn't have a huge music department or program. I guess ill just have to see what would be my best option. thanks for the replies
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Rocked a small 4 piece with mesh heads in my apartment. Still drove everyone nuts haha
    Were the cymbals muted as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

E I agree with Powertrip, topdog and Russ.

E kit is your best bet in college dorms or even apartments otherwise college security will be your new best friend. Playing thru a headset will be your answer.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Or worst enemy?