Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So many snares, but I bought another

User Info Menu

Default Re: So many snares, but I bought another

the two newest additions

User Info Menu

A studio maple and a G maple. That's about $730 worth of snare drums. I guess it was a very GASsy weekend.

I'm currently being tempted by a Pork Pie beech snare. I guess we'll have to see how strong my will power is.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

^yeah I went over my budget.... I told myself no more than $600

but I had the privilege of seeing my sister who lives in Chicago for about 7 years now I never see. And I told her pick out any snare you want and this way she's a part of my life even if she's not around much anymore. I nice memento of her. She picked out the wood hoop Tama. But no complaints.

What really hurt was they literally had all the extra hardware I wanted for my rack and so I also bought some boom arms, tom mounts, cymbal clamp, memory locks and replacement cymbal necks. So I went $400+ over my budget but hey... can't place a price on happiness and family

User Info Menu

Both of those are beauties. Nice choices.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Beautiful snares, Spaz - congrats! I particularly like that wood hoop Tama - great looking drum! How do you like the sound?

User Info Menu

I love the tones.
    I plan on making a snare review video for you all shortly

User Info Menu

Forgive me for trying to understand this. You wanted something to remember your sister by, so you asked her to pick out a snare the she liked, you bought it for yourself, so when you play it you will think of your sister. Did I get that right?

That is some drummer logic right there.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Can you tell me a little about the one on the right that has an industrial plywood look? Is that an outer ply over a maple ply shell? I am asking because I am turning a solid log shell on my lathe at the moment. It is supposedly maple and I am getting that exact grain pattern which to me looks anything but maple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    A very interesting thread, what have I learned?

1. Drummers are even bigger DIY'ers than I thought!
    2. Some of you guys are really nuts (in a good way)!

Keep in mind, most of the best modern/popular (that is to say, not classical) music ever made was done in the 50s-70s, not sure how they were making instruments back then, I doubt i was as complex as now...
    Very true JG. I sometimes laugh when I hear builders make claims that their drums have fewer or no glue joints and this makes them far superior to others.
    Most music has been made with ply drums, full of glue and glued joints. I doubt the producer was scratching his head and saying, I wish there was a way we could cut down on that glue sound on that 3rd tom.

I do believe steam bent and stave drums sound different, and too me, far superior than most ply snares. But the glue argument to me, gets pretty ridiculous. Although I do appreciate what Pearl does with their ply shells, they boil the glue and bake the shell so it penetrates a bit better and I would think makes for more of a seamless fit, which if anything, can't hurt the final sound.