Thread: Drum set

User Info Menu

Default Drum set

I collect old drumsets, nothing high end, a few of Japanese sets from the 1960's & 1970's.

I consider myself an average pocket drummer, not much on the heavy duty
    technical play. One thing happens when I play a customized 'Mercury Pro' set from the 1960's. I get people walking up to me & commenting how good my drumming is, which never happens when I play either of my other 5 drum sets. This has been happening for years, I not sure if it's a psychological thing because this drum set has a real cool psychedelic finish? My drums are all tuned pretty much the same, I use the same heads on all my drums. It's hard to believe that these drums make me play better. It has to be a sublimital thing where people see a very cool finish & equate that with cool playing. Just wonder if anyone out there that plays multiple drum sets finds they play better or at least get more positive feedback on a specific set of drums? Thanks, John.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum set

Quote Originally Posted by Johnok1 View Post
    I collect old drumsets, nothing high end, a few of Japanese sets from the 1960's & 1970's.

I consider myself an average pocket drummer, not much on the heavy duty
    technical play. One thing happens when I play a customized 'Mercury Pro' set from the 1960's. I get people walking up to me & commenting how good my drumming is, which never happens when I play either of my other 5 drum sets. This has been happening for years, I not sure if it's a psychological thing because this drum set has a real cool psychedelic finish? My drums are all tuned pretty much the same, I use the same heads on all my drums. It's hard to believe that these drums make me play better. It has to be a sublimital thing where people see a very cool finish & equate that with cool playing. Just wonder if anyone out there that plays multiple drum sets finds they play better or at least get more positive feedback on a specific set of drums? Thanks, John.
    Most likely it's psychological on your part. I'll tell you one thing - the band the opened up our bill last weekend had a sweet looking Tama set with a beautiful red sparkle finish. He looked like he was a great drummer (I don't know how I could assume this) and he had a really nice set-up...nice hardware, nice set up, tuned nicely...and, he sucked. All my initial thoughts went right out the window.

User Info Menu

That worries me a little. I thought that the way a drum kit looks does not matter much. Maybe I'm wrong and need to wrap the drum kit with one of those psychedelic finishes. What is the name of your drum kit finish?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    That worries me a little. I thought that the way a drum kit looks does not matter much. Maybe I'm wrong and need to wrap the drum kit with one of those psychedelic finishes. What is the name of your drum kit finish?
    Presentation is everything. Concept is as old as the hills. Ever notice the bands that come out with A+ gear, sound system, lights, smoke machines, "party band" projection, etc. get proclaimed as "awesome" by the laypeople in the audience when actually technically they are marginal at best? Marketing baby. Psych 101.

User Info Menu

Definitely and interesting read. Maybe it is from the drumset appearance. Any photos of your kits?