Thread: Gretch Catalina Maple Series

User Info Menu

Default Gretch Catalina Maple Series

I was wondering who likes the catalina mapel series and who dosent like and why?

User Info Menu

I like the maple alot more than the birch which I own. Overall, I think most would agree that maple is a better shell material since it's a closed grain wood, but I personally dig it's warmth and projection more than that of a birch set.
    Pastor Bob uses the maple Catalina. Contact him for personal experience.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Exit, I like the sound of a maple shell. Slightly warmer sound, with strong mid-range tones. I checked kits with blended wood shells (Yamaha), birch shells, and maple shells, and I decided that I liked the sound of the maple the best. After that it was just a matter of choosing the right maple shelled set.

Money was an issue for me, and I was limited to the intermediate sets, so I decided to check out the Catalina maple set at my local music store. I liked the sound right away. Gretsch says that the 30 degree bearing edges have something to do with the warmth of the sound. The thing that sealed the deal for me was the sound of the 14X6 snare. It was a beautiful warm sound, be still had a nice pop to it. All that and I got the shell pack for $699 (I had the hardware, and the cymbals, althought the cymbals were Zildjian ZBT). I am slowly replacing my cymbals with Zildjian A Customs. The 18" Fast Crash will be my next purchase.

I have heard others on this site say that the Catalina series is a good enough quality to be able to begin a pro career with it. I guess when I get ready to retire, I will have a kit I can turn pro with! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I hope you dont mind a fellow Catalina owners input here! In answer to your question, yes I love the sound of the maple and I own the birch and the main difference between the maple and birch is your own personal preference. As far as quality of wood, they are both great intermediate sounding kits. So basically, play them both and make your choice! The maple is warmer as stated and the birch rips through the crowd with its rich sound. If you love the sound of the maple, the Catalina is one of the best buys in the intermediate maple range
    Last edited by livewire80; 10-24-2007 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

LW, I agree that it is an individual choice. You've got to put your sticks on the drums and find your sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

The only thing I can find wrong with the Catalina Maple kit is it only comes in one configuration. No variety other than the three finishes they offer. When I bough my Catalina Birch kit I ordered it as a custom 6 piece kit but no such option exist with the Maple.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Just on a side-note, birch records BEAUTIFULLY. I've never owned a maple kit. I'm only on my second kit (first real kit, I suppose) and it's all birch. I've played a few friend's maple kits but not long enough to say I have a preference.
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I like the maple alot more than the birch which I own. Overall, I think most would agree that maple is a better shell material since it's a closed grain wood, but I personally dig it's warmth and projection more than that of a birch set.
    Pastor Bob uses the maple Catalina. Contact him for personal experience.
    It depends on what your doing with your kit. While Maple is known more for live, Birch is more known for using in the studio, because the overtones are easier to work with in a "controlled environment". There really is no particular rule here, it's just preference. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    The only thing I can find wrong with the Catalina Maple kit is it only comes in one configuration. No variety other than the three finishes they offer. When I bough my Catalina Birch kit I ordered it as a custom 6 piece kit but no such option exist with the Maple.
    Rritter, I agree that the finish options are limited on the Catalina maple kit. I was fortunate that I really liked the woodgrain look of the "deep amber" finish. After I bought my kit, though, I sent an email to Gretsch customer service and asked whether they were considering making an 8" tom available, just like they do for the birch kit. they responded that they were actually having that very discussion at the time that I emailed, and they were seriously thinking about producing an 8" tom in maple. If they do it, it will be available in 2008. Personally I am hoping that they do, because I think it would be an awesome kit to have the added timber of the 8" to go with the growl of the 16X16 floor tom at the other end!

User Info Menu

If that would be the case I would even be interested in the Maples. I’ve looked at the Renown’s, even tried a kit out at Guitar Center and that was one sweet kit but the one thing I would order with the renown would be a 16 floor tom. With the Catalina Maple the 8 inch tom would be a win win situation. The Renown kit at Musicians Friend with the 8 inch tom is $1499.00 and the price of the Catalina Maples would be much better. I guess we all need to keep an eye on the Gretsch web site.

User Info Menu

Default Birch kit

I own a catalina bich kit. Honestly with the right heads, and some moon gel it sounds amazing. I've recorded the kick, and toms before, they sounded pretty sweet....Although they were EQd through pro tools, which you can make plastic wrap stretched over a trash can sound sick! lol

User Info Menu

Hey ICHTG! Welcome to Drum Chat!

As a Catalina maple owner, it have to say that if you're using Moongel on your birch kit, you need to leave the dark side behind, and come into the light of maple! LOL

Just messin' with ya! I've heard great things about both the Catalina birch, and the Catalina maple kits. I guess it's all Gretsch! As Livewire said, it's all about personal preference. You've got to play what you love to hear!

User Info Menu

I'm restoring an old Japanese kit now, called a "Jazzmaster", originally came with a Pearl snare, 20x14 kick, 12x8 and 14x14 toms. I added a 9x13 tom in the same color I bought years ago from a band friend. It was Japan's answer to the American drum market, trying to copy Ludwig, Slingerland, etc.

BUT...I've seen and heard the Catalina Maple and I want one. I browsed the local Guitar Center a few weeks ago and people were lined up to play the Catalina Maple. It sounded REALLY nice.

In the next few months I want to buy one because the Jazzmaster has rail tom holders and it really is a "student" kit I suppose, but the thing is from the late 60's, early 70's and the rail tom holders were all they had. I also want the Catalina because of the Maple shells and the $699 price with the extra 16x16 floor tom can't be beat. I'm afraid if I hold off too long they will no longer offer that deal.

It's intersting what Pastor Bob said about the Gretsch 8" tom. I was thinking the same thing. In fact, true story here, I sent Gretsch an email today asking about getting the maple 8" tom for the Catalina Maple. Maybe if enough people write asking for it, they'll start offering it!

User Info Menu

This is probably a goofy question, but does anyone know when the Catalina Maple offer will expire? $699 is a great price.

User Info Menu

I think the deal was for 2007, so I guess as long as the retailers have the kits, you can still get the maple shell pack with the free 16X16 floor tom (all other toms are fusion sized) for $699. Of course, you do have to consider that I don't see many Tobacco Fade finished Catalina Maples anymore. They're selling pretty well. I like the Deep Amber finish, and I still see those available. You can see my kit here: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/100_1330.jpg

User Info Menu

That is a great looking kit! The GC I go to had the Amber finish kit set up and had the Red Cherry stacked, but it still looked great And the maple shell sound was nice. They had about 4 or 5 kits being played at the same time by customers, but I stood close enough to the kit as it was being played and liked the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I think the deal was for 2007, so I guess as long as the retailers have the kits, you can still get the maple shell pack with the free 16X16 floor tom (all other toms are fusion sized) for $699. Of course, you do have to consider that I don't see many Tobacco Fade finished Catalina Maples anymore. They're selling pretty well. I like the Deep Amber finish, and I still see those available. You can see my kit here: http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/100_1330.jpg
    Beautiful Pastor Bob

User Info Menu

Thanks. It's always nice to hear that others think your kit looks as good as you think it looks. Somehow, it's very validating, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks. It's always nice to hear that others think your kit looks as good as you think it looks. Somehow, it's very validating, isn't it?
    I read on another forum a post about how the drums bring the attention to the stage more than any other instrument and I couldn’t agree more. Might just be me but I believe our stage appeal in many ways is the Cherry Red Lacquer Gretsch Drum Kit that I play. When the lights hit those drums it’s just awesome. We will play 45+ jobs a year and every single one I have to step back and take it all in, each and every time. There is something about a beautiful set of drums!

User Info Menu

Amen! I agree that the drums are the focal point on stage. I must admit that in my church setting, I was looking for a set that was a bit more sedate (my beginner set was a cherry red, and looked awesome). I also like the look of woodgrain on my drum shells, so I really can't go wrong either way.

BTW, when I took pictures of my drums to post, I saw the drums "under the lights," since the flash of the camera provided more light. Under the lights, the Gretsch Catalina looks gorgeous in the deep amber, and I'm sure would look awesome on stage, under the right stage lighting!

There is indeed something about a beautiful set of drums!