Thread: GC may have let one slip!

User Info Menu

Default GC may have let one slip!

I went in on Saturday and they had a white older looking Yamaha set sitting in the drum section. It was tagged as a Rock Cst. I took a closer inspection and they are 8000 series drums Made in Japan (Just below the 9000/Recording Cst) and they are in immaculate condition as if they were barely touched. No rust issues, no dings, they look like they were meticulously cared for and pretty much left alone. The bottom head had holes cut into them and the tops have felts strips under them and old barely touch control sound heads. The sizes are 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, and 22x14 kick. They had it priced at $399 which seems a bit low from what I've seen, (they have an 8000 series snare for sale on gc.com for $349) especially in this condition, so I put them on layaway (I just recently bought 3 DW snares and 2 Yamaha snares). These are birch/mahogany and will fit very nicely in my collection of kits (maple and maple/mahogany). I love running into stuff like this! Thanks for the lack of research GC.

Anyone rocking these drums? Comments, questions, input... bring it on.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Default Re: GC may have let one slip!

I know nothing of that Yamaha series but for the price and shape of the kit I guess it is a great deal and I would go for it. Made in Japan is better than made in China IMO.

User Info Menu

This series is right below the Recording Cst/9000 series kits and sounds sick! A lot of people don't know too much about them but they are pretty sought after by those who know and I can't wait to get them home.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

All what I know is that my teacher has been preaching at how bad layaway is but hey if you can flip them for a lot more that what you will end up paying total then cool!
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

dirtysticks, I think any kit will sound good with the proper heads and tuning. Once they come home I am sure you will play around with them and find the right sound. Good luck and let us know how they turn out. I still think it is a good score.

User Info Menu

Dirtysticks, I remember reading your posts before. You know a lot about drums, much more than some dealers do. I wish that I had your knowledge of percussion. I think you made a good purchase.

User Info Menu

No doubt about it.

User Info Menu

Sticks, you are always finding great deals! Congrats on the score. Can't wait to see pics. Keep up the good work, brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    This series is right below the Recording Cst/9000 series kits and sounds sick! A lot of people don't know too much about them but they are pretty sought after by those who know and I can't wait to get them home.
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Sticks, you are always finding great deals! Congrats on the score. Can't wait to see pics. Keep up the good work, brother.

It's one thing to make a good score on a snare drum at a Houston pawn shop, which we all know Sticks will do on occasion.
    But it is even sweeter to make a good score on a set and, at the same time, get a bit of revenge on GC.
    COOL !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    It's one thing to make a good score on a snare drum at a Houston pawn shop, which we all know Sticks will do on occasion.
    But it is even sweeter to make a good score on a set and, at the same time, get a bit of revenge on GC.
    COOL !
    Truth! lol

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Thanks, I'll definitely post some pics when I get them home.

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Dirtysticks, I remember reading your posts before. You know a lot about drums, much more than some dealers do. I wish that I had your knowledge of percussion. I think you made a good purchase.
    Thanks, I spend a lot of time learning stuff about drums lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhuskey View Post
    Nice find! I found a DW edge snare at a pawn shop not long ago. It was a newer model with True Hoops and I picked it up for $179!!! They had no clue what they had.
    Hey Houston Bud, if you come up on a deal again like that in Houston, that you don't partake in, send it my way! Lol... I got both of my Edge snares from a pawn shop. I'd love to know which shop in Houston you got yours from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    dirtysticks, I think any kit will sound good with the proper heads and tuning. Once they come home I am sure you will play around with them and find the right sound. Good luck and let us know how they turn out. I still think it is a good score.
    True, a lot of kits can be made to sound good, but certain kits have certain characteristics that stand out and appeal to my ears. This is a kit that sounds great but in a different way than the kits I currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    All what I know is that my teacher has been preaching at how bad layaway is but hey if you can flip them for a lot more that what you will end up paying total then cool!
    With layaway at Guitar Center, there is no added fee or interest so the price will not go up. It's just an easy way for me to pay for it over time and not have it hit my wallet in one lump sum. These will more than likely not be flipped tho.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Nice score! There was an 8000series for sale locally a few months ago. The guy wanted $500 for the shell pack with various hardware and a cheap snare & cymbals. It was a 1-up/2-down....not sure if it was 14-16 or 16-18 floor toms. I seriously considered it, but I already have my Premiers which are Birch/Mahogany from the same Yamaha/Premier era. Just couldn't justify spending the cash on something I didn't need.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Nice score! There was an 8000series for sale locally a few months ago. The guy wanted $500 for the shell pack with various hardware and a cheap snare & cymbals. It was a 1-up/2-down....not sure if it was 14-16 or 16-18 floor toms. I seriously considered it, but I already have my Premiers which are Birch/Mahogany from the same Yamaha/Premier era. Just couldn't justify spending the cash on something I didn't need.
    I know the feeling of finding great stuff but not wanting to double up. Every time I hear a kit from this series, they sound great and I've heard them online as well as in person in different settings. They kill every time and actually sound extremely similar to it's bug brother, the 9000 serious that was a precursor to the Recording Cst. I am excited about getting these though and they will fit quite nicely in my drum collection.
    Last edited by dirtysticks; 05-14-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

haha MJ nice score!

its boomcrashbang from pdf :D

User Info Menu

Yamaha and Sakae (builders of the hi end kits) made some nice nice stuff when they were in Japan, and they still do today.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit Sticks.

Sounds like you got a great deal............I'm not familiar with the 8000 series.............but the way you explained them, sounds like a no-brainer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats on the new kit Sticks.

Sounds like you got a great deal............I'm not familiar with the 8000 series.............but the way you explained them, sounds like a no-brainer
    Yeah, all I needed to do was see the serial # (revealing the series) on that pink tag and I knew I was getting them at that price, especially in that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Yamaha and Sakae (builders of the hi end kits) made some nice nice stuff when they were in Japan, and they still do today.
    Those "Made In Japan" kits by Sakae are some truly great drums! They sound great and are extremely well made!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    haha MJ nice score!

its boomcrashbang from pdf :D
    Hey what's up man!
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Yamaha drums from this era are very underrated.

My first kit was a 1980 7000 series, chrome over mahogany. I still have it today, it's extremely well made, way ahead of its time. The quality is on par with my DW's and newer Yamaha kits.

Post of pics, I'd like to see which lugs it has.

User Info Menu

Great find! I wish I could stumble upon more things like this.....
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks