Thread: Moving to an electric kit

User Info Menu

Default Moving to an electric kit

The time has come! A few months ago I got into university, which was all great, but even the thought of moving an acoustic down here makes me shiver. There is no space fo it whatsoever! basically to cut to the chase, I am going to sell my old kit.. but hang on to my double bass pedal, and purchase an electric kit. Hopefully selling my kit will get me £900 ish. ($1,844)
    Although I am quite clued up on acoustic drums i haven't got any idea's about electric kits. So I was wondering what you guys would reccomend for my price range. I was looking at the Roland TD-6KW (£849) and It will support my double bass pedal, which is necessary!! Thanks in advance!!

User Info Menu

Default Roland TD-6SXT

If you can swing it the Roland TD-6SXT is real nice has all mesh heads and easy to setup and compact. I had one and really liked it.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I'd search ebay for a td-12, but if your going td-6 defianetly get the SXT like 2slow said.
    :D
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Default Be very careful

if buying roland on ebay . For some reason there is a lot of fraud on ebay with the roland drum stuff.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    If you can swing it the Roland TD-6SXT is real nice has all mesh heads and easy to setup and compact. I had one and really liked it.

You had the Roland TD-6SXT. What happened to them? Did you upgrade? Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Yeah Those Roland's are a good choice, TD10 or TD12 would be better of course, or the TD20 would be ultimate.

Question though, Have you look into any of the Hart dynamics range?

Advice - stay away from Yamaha - unless really strapped for cash. But i'd take that Roland over a top range Yamaha anyday
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post

Question though, Have you look into any of the Hart dynamics range?
    No I haven't do you think I should. Oh and I have heard quite a few negative reviews about the yamaha drum kits so I havent really consired them!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I would stay away from the Yamahas. I had a Roland TD-8 kit for a while and it was great. I would'nt spend my money on any other electronics than Roland. You should be able to pick up a used TD-8 or TD-10 in your price range if you shop E-bay or Craigslist. Keep us posted on what you get!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

YAY Roland!

User Info Menu

Okay, I'm a little bit oblivious when it comes to electronic drums. I can't say that I've ever actually seen one outside of a magazine. Do they have realistic feel? And what are the heads made of?

User Info Menu

The Roland has a relaistic feel but nothing feels like an acoustic kit, I don't care how expensive it is. With that said the Roland TD-20 is, IMHO, the closest to as you can get to acoustic. The heads on the TD-20 are mesh. My HD-1, which is a Roland, has the mesh head on the snare, the toms are padded with rubber as well as the cymbals.

User Info Menu

I would get a TD 12 and buy a couple extra triggers to put on it..... Then just upgrade the brain later down the trafk
    then buy some more pads. Easy and wicked plan :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

be cautious about seemingly good deals. Better yet, just buy your electronic from an actual shop. I bought a cheaper kit on e-bay, and I think I would have been better off buying a bunch of practice pads, because that's all it ammounts to. Go with roland. Only roland. No really... only roland. If you want to know what they sound like, go to you tube and do a few searches for roland, there's some good stuff on there.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.