Thread: Gator Cases Destroying Drums????

User Info Menu

Default Gator Cases Destroying Drums????

Anybody know the story behind this? Doing a search for "gator cases, drum corrosion" turned up tons of drummers worldwide whose drums have been destroyed while stored in Gator cases. Apparently Gator's insurance is paying claims for the damage. Anybody know anything about this?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gator Cases Destroying Drums????

Just the hard cases, I believe. A friend of mine just got a settlement from them for damage to the chrome on his Tamas. It had something to do with off-gassing of chemicals used in the construction. They were chemically attacking the chrome or something. He had to buy all new lugs, hoops, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's crazy! Makes me worry about my SKBs now cause my drums spend a lot of time in them...

User Info Menu

You put money into cases to protect your investment and this happens that would make mad cause we love our drums. How many go without any compensation from the case manufacturer not knowing they can. I am sure the manufacturer is not contacting everyone that bought their products. So their pay off is minimal. Shame.

User Info Menu

That was my first thought, too. I did a search for any reports of problems with the SKBs, but couldn't find a single one. They must have used different chemicals. My drums have spent extended time in my SKB hard cases and I've not seen a single indication of any damage.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That's crazy! Makes me worry about my SKBs now cause my drums spend a lot of time in them...
    Apparently its only the GPR range (that were last manufactured in '09) that have this problem. Gator claim that all other series used different glues and are unaffected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Apparently its only the GPR range (that were last manufactured in '09) that have this problem. Gator claim that all other series used different glues and are unaffected.
    I think this is true. I received a settlement for damage to my drums. It appears to be only one line of Gator cases. I've never heard of any others doing this. My drums are 2009 models so I figure the cases were around that yr. also.

User Info Menu

good to know and crazy all at the same time