Thread: a little advice for me?

User Info Menu

Default a little advice for me?

Hey all, basically I want to make a cover for the song space bound by eminem.
    I have never played a cover before or made one, Im not a brilliant drummer, but I really want to do this.
    I'm not after posting on YouTube or recording with equipment or anything, I just want to do it for myself.

So what I'm after is some advice and tips on where to start and how to begin the proccess of making a cover for a song, I will greatly appreciate advice given.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: a little advice for me?

Hey kryptondude! I think one good way to start making a cover, is to learn the original song first. How does the drum beat or track sound in the original? Learn this groove first. Play along to the song a few tiems with this beat. Most likely after a few plays you may start getting bored with the repetitive patterns that play voer and over again in the song. This is where you start adding your own creativity. Add some of your own fills, spice up the grooves and beats. Experiement with different beats to see what sounds good and what doesn't. The more you play along to the song though the more your drumming will open up in creativty for that song.

Good luck!
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Are you thinking of singing while you play drums?

User Info Menu

In addition to Imperialstar 15's advice - have a look around online to see if there are any freeby drum tabs available, also check out you tube and watch a few covers to see how others have played the song. Steal any ideas you like and improvise/change as you feel necessary.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I have had a look around you tube and watched some and I then played through a few times to get the best and see how it felt, then I put a couple of fills in and changed the beat abit.

Its nothing spectacular but I was happy for a first attempt lol, I still want to improve it alot more but thanks for the advice.

And no dude, I wasn't singing with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kryptondude View Post
    Its nothing spectacular but I was happy for a first attempt lol, I still want to improve it alot more but thanks for the advice.
    Just keep playing along and you will improve greatly
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

My best advice. Just have fun with it. The more you enjoy the more that is shown to the viewer and the more you enjoy it the better you tend to play. So don't worry about it, don't think about it, just let it flow and have fun.

User Info Menu

I would add one thing, have a look at the free app Walkband. You can program in drums and this is how it might help you:

1. Program in the beat for the song as is.
    2. You'll now see where there is space to do more, or do less. Play around with that.
    3. When you're playing along to the song, write the patterns into the app that you like (it takes 30-60 seconds to do so, so easy and you won't forget what you came up with!)
    4. You can record the patterns in the app, then put them together as different sections of the song, so you can listen to how each section goes with the original

it might seem like a lot of extra work, but it really isnt. what's more, you can play around with the song when you are away from your kit, and it gives you an easy way to find new ideas, because you can see where the notes are falling, and it's a great practice tool for just playing along to specific beats.

Have fun!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22