Thread: Weird setup

User Info Menu

Default Weird setup

So as I've stated before, I play in my church every Sunday. This week we have our bass player and a guitar player gone so we are going to do a mellow acoustic set. I found tonight at practice that it's a bit more difficult to play my Cajon while I sing, play tambourine with my left foot, and play a shaker. So I'm going to set up my 16" kick, and use my Cajon as a snare, leaving me to play tambourine with my left foot and shaker with my right hand while playing kick with my right foot. Found it much easier to multi-task this way when I tried it out tonight. Anyone ever tried this or something similar? I'm pretty stoked to try it out. I'll try to post a vid or some pics.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: Weird setup

Wow it sort of sounds like "rub belly and pat your head at the same time". I know bassist sometimes having trouble singing and while playing bass while staying in meter sometimes.
    I've sung at some shows only because I had to,our singer's voice went out..so we start playing things like Johnny be good.. and long renditions of wipeout.. just to get thru the set.

User Info Menu

I've played the Gitjo (6 string Banjo) from my throne while playing bass with my right foot and hi-Hat with my left foot. The hard part is starting and stopping, LOL. Switching to Cajon on acoustic gigs was interesting. I had to re-think which beats I play with which hands. When I first added a foot tambourine, I tried it on my right foot first. It just didn't sound right, since my tendency was to play it on the beats. I had to switch it to my left foot to play on the off-beats. I've also played spoons & foot tambourine, which took some practice. The spoons have their own Rythum in order to sound proper. Its all fun to do on occasion, and I'm sure the practice helps in developing limb independence. It gave me a new appreciation for the guys that do a "one man band".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Wow it sort of sounds like "rub belly and pat your head at the same time". .
    haha thought that too lol

User Info Menu

We do a few songs where I sing and play at the same time either on the kit or Cajon. This will be a little more involved as some of the songs really need the tambourine and shaker to sound right and need more vocals than just the lead. Gotta try to sing harmonies in place of the missing guitar playe . Pretty excited to do something a little different.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Sounds like an interesting setup. Must be fun to play!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

As much as I enjoy playing drums, it's always nice to mix things up on occasion. I like playing guitar, or Cajon, or Spoons just to keep it fresh. Unfortunately, I lack the skill to do any of them justice.....including the drum kit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

No singing but I have created acoustic setups for things before. One was a cajon with a Meinl foot shaker on one foot, and a Meinl jingle tap attached to my leg. There were a few other drums mounted (Meinl kanjira and an unbranded riq in a snare stand), a few cymbals, a Rhythm Tech mountable cabasa and a small LP tambourine. The mountable cabasa is great because it gives you shaker-type sounds but you don't have to pick up an instrument to play it, and you can also tap the beads or sort of spin them to get more of an open/close hi-hat accent.