Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Added More SKB Cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Added More SKB Cases

Rich, good to see you post again! Nice cases brother

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    You play out enough in tight quarters, small clubs, no set up area, small stages and need to get off the stage quickly things are going to get banged up, just the way it is. The club doesn't care about you putting away your stuff just right with cases laying all over the place. They want you off so the next band can go on. By the time you get everything to an area where you can take your time putting it away it's probably been banged into walls and doorways already anyway. Has nothing to do with weather someone cares enough or not
    Not everyone plays in tight small venues. I do get your point. Rich plays mostly outside at fairs etc but still needs his cases when transporting from on venue to another and sometimes they are far apart and gear can get damages sliding and hitting each other in the back of a truck or van.

User Info Menu

Another plus about good cases is storage. I don't have a lot of space - being able to stack drums without worrying about how much weight is stretching out the heads is comforting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Not everyone plays in tight small venues. I do get your point. Rich plays mostly outside at fairs etc but still needs his cases when transporting from on venue to another and sometimes they are far apart and gear can get damages sliding and hitting each other in the back of a truck or van.
    lol okay man it's alright
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    When you have nice expensive gear you try to protect them as much as you can Kay so I don't think he overkills with these cases. If I gigged I would certainly look into these kind of cases.
    Truth to tell... My Gretsch USA set has been all over North America and even to the Bahamas and they look "almost" as new as the day I bought them in 1983. They've only been in those low level cardboardish type cases in which I glued foam when I bought them.

My gear doesn't really do planes, trains, semi trucks, or fork lifts and they aren't handled by dozens of people. Only me. That's the key.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Nice cases Rich.
    Now all you need is a long cable with a lock to thread threw all those cases to prevent them from having feet.
    Thanks for stopping by the thread PopsOldSkins! Great point as usual. It's always a pleasure to read your replies. My home got burglarized when we first moved in about 10 years ago and I found evidence that they stopped and looked into the garage as the thieves made their way around the house. I had my Ludwig kit set up and nothing on the kit was touched. I'm now wondering if I had the kit in cases, they probably would of been stolen since it's easier to haul away opposed to trying to steal a kit that's set up with parts bolted down. Here's what the kit looked like at the time of the burglary.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Very nice! I've developed a real appreciation for good cases, whether it's for my drums or the PA system, lights, etc.. When everything is packed away in nice, sturdy & functional cases, it makes loading & unloading for a gig 100X easier and faster.
    Nice hearing from you N2Bluz. I agree about the load/unload situation with cases. I have a composite truck bed that came stock with the truck. With things in cases, I slide the drums down during the loading process. The cases slowly slide towards the back of the truck bed as I load more and more stuff in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    How well do those cymbal vaults hold China Cymbals? I think I noticed a China in one of your cymbal vaults, but SKB says the vaults cannot hold chinas or flat rides.
    It can hold chinas and flat cymbals imperialstar but by doing so, you loose much space in the vault. BTW, I don't load too many cymbals if I'm carrying a chinas or splash cymbals. I'll prioritize the load order and if things start to look as if I'm overloading the vault, I'll separate the cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Great case review and good to see you posting again Late8.
    I have a mix of cases for my two kits with a couple of SKB's in there. Very nice cases.
    Thanks DrummerD. I have mixed cases as well. My shells are covered in soft bags but will eventually get upgraded to SKB cases too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Man View Post
    Great line up of cases man.
    Like the line of 4.
    Thanks man!!

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Gees they are very nice.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    sure is nice Rich. Do you still have your Pork Pie set?
    Yes...played them last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    i absolutely love my SKB cases. They have saved me from a heart attack many of times !
    Me too!!
    Last edited by late8; 06-01-2015 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

It's nice to see they hold China's I'll have to order another cymbal vault.. I have one hard case and use one soft case but had that.

User Info Menu

It's nice to see they hold China's I'll have to order another cymbal vault.. I have one hard case and use one soft case but had that.
    SKB has a disclaimer that chinas and flat cymbals won't fit but mine did. I have a flat bottom AAX Fast Hats cymbal and a china that I simply lay on top.

Last edited by late8; 06-01-2015 at 06:15 PM.

User Info Menu

hmmm very interesting... probably just to protect themselves if for some reason the china didn't. Because I've seen some with inverted and verted bells on the china. So it would and wouldn't fit.

User Info Menu

hmmm very interesting... probably just to protect themselves if for some reason the china didn't. Because I've seen some with inverted and verted bells on the china. So it would and wouldn't fit.
    My chinas, unlike any Wuhan type, have a bell similar to a regular shaped cymbal. I can see potential issues with a bell such as the one on this Wuhan??

HHX Evolution 14" mini china:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    My chinas, unlike any Wuhan type, have a bell similar to a regular shaped cymbal. I can see potential issues with a bell such as the one on this Wuhan??

HHX Evolution 14" mini china:

I think it may be possible for a traditional china to fit, but I imagine it would eat up alot of space in the cymbal vault
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Hey late8.............you got a nice set of cases.
    I've often thought about buying a group of cymbal vaults like you now have.

In addition to the traditional ride cymbal and hi-hat pair, I am currently using five assorted crashes, one splash, one stack and two Wuhan Chinese cymbals.............for a total of 12 pieces of brass to transport and set up.

When I break down to transport, I'm wrapping each individual cymbal in an old towel and loading them all into an old trap case..........it gets banged around a bit but I have never had any problem with cymbal damage............this case still has good handles and casters so it really does do the job for me.

My problem has more to do with all the stands I'm using for all those cymbals.
    Even though I've got it figured out, it is a lot of work.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I think it may be possible for a traditional china to fit, but I imagine it would eat up alot of space in the cymbal vault
    Right on point. The china eats up a lot of space. If I use one, I'll it carry separately from the rest of the stack or end up using two vaults which isn't an issue since the wheels help with the weight.

User Info Menu

Good stuff Rich. I always enjoy your threads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

In addition to the traditional ride cymbal and hi-hat pair, I am currently using five assorted crashes, one splash, one stack and two Wuhan Chinese cymbals.............for a total of 12 pieces of brass to transport and set up.

When I break down to transport, I'm wrapping each individual cymbal in an old towel and loading them all into an old trap case..........it gets banged around a bit but I have never had any problem with cymbal damage............this case still has good handles and casters so it really does do the job for me.

Thanks Ricardo. I've noticed out of all of the hardware I haul around to the weekend gigs, the cymbal stands are the most cumbersome to carry. These two cases held 4 cymbal stands, hihat stand, throne stand, floor tom legs, stick bag and snare stand.

Here's the kit and a similar set up:

User Info Menu

oh yeah those wuhans need a bag for sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

I just make cymbal carriers with eye bolts, nuts, washers and cymbal felts. Works a charm.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I just make cymbal carriers with eye bolts, nuts, washers and cymbal felts. Works a charm.

all the best...
    a regular Macgyver

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Good stuff Rich. I always enjoy your threads.
    Thanks mark I appreciate the kindness.

User Info Menu

a regular Macgyver
    Yep. That's me. A little shorter version of Macgyver but with a beer belly. They still like to tease me about the mullet.

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=late8;647248]Thanks Ricardo. I've noticed out of all of the hardware I haul around to the weekend gigs, the cymbal stands are the most cumbersome to carry. These two cases held 4 cymbal stands, hihat stand, throne stand, floor tom legs, stick bag and snare stand.

Arrow on floor.
    Is that to guide you to the throne?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=PopsOldSkins;647379]
    Thanks Ricardo. I've noticed out of all of the hardware I haul around to the weekend gigs, the cymbal stands are the most cumbersome to carry. These two cases held 4 cymbal stands, hihat stand, throne stand, floor tom legs, stick bag and snare stand.

Arrow on floor.
    Is that to guide you to the throne?
    lol!! Great catch Pops! I was trying to guide my then 7 year old which way to climb behind the kit.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=late8;647383]
    Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    lol!! Great catch Pops! I was trying to guide my then 7 year old which way to climb behind the kit.

Cool.
    Like father, like son.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=PopsOldSkins;647384]

Cool.
    Like father, like son.
    Thanks man

User Info Menu