Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Added More SKB Cases

User Info Menu

Default Added More SKB Cases

Wanted to share some pics and my opinion on the SKB hardware cases I recently purchased. Decided on a used 36"x 12" rolling hardware case for stands, the SKB Rolling Utility Box for the throne and stick bag etc and added four sorely needed 24" rolling cymbal vaults.

The box that held the Utility Box came slightly damaged on one of the corners:

The corner where the damage occured was where one of the wheel housing is located but no damage to the wheel.

Last edited by late8; 05-30-2015 at 01:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Added More SKB Cases

continued...

First, the 36"x12" rolling cymbal stand case, shown here with only two cymbal stands and one hihat stand:

Length is 36".

The width measures 12".

The cymbal stand case looks much bigger in pictures than in real life.

User Info Menu

continued...

The cymbal stand case comes equipped with three nylon straps with quick release clips.

The latches are secured with a swivel type device which can be locked with a key.

User Info Menu

continued...

Two hinges secure the clam shell together and the latches have a small spring located underneath it to provide pressure needed to hold it closed.

Next, the Rolling Utility Box:

Last edited by late8; 05-30-2015 at 01:04 AM.

User Info Menu

continued...

Measures 32" long:

14" wide:

11" deep:

Holds the usual stuff:

Last edited by late8; 05-30-2015 at 01:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Sneaking in a post here...

This above box is awesome. I love mine but tend to overload it. Be careful. It doesn't take long to get beastly heavy.

You're all set now. Great SKB collection.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

continued...

The Utility Box handle has two positions in which it can be used.

The shorter position:

Fully extended:

The slide out handle is secured to the box by screws:

User Info Menu

My thoughts:

The 36" rolling cymbal stand case is limited to a max of only four double braced type stands and in my opinion, anything more could stress the hinges.

I feel he weakest part of the case are the latches. The spring feels flimsy and doesn't provide much "bite".

The Rolling Utility Box, as Bish mentioned, is awesome. The only negetive thing I can say about it is not wanting to throw my throne cushion in with the throne stand or any other metal object. After inspecting the throne cushion after a test load, I found indentations from the throne stand that caused enough concern for me to have the cushion in its own hard case.

The 24" Rolling Cymbal vault is awesome. My only negative comment about it is that you can really only load five cymbals if you have deep cymbal cups . The hard rubber support pads that support the bow of the cymbal may hinder some cymbals that have large bells.

Last edited by late8; 05-30-2015 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Got to stop looking at these pix. My back hurts! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Wow!! Rich awesome collection. Now all you have to do is get a couple of roadies and you are on your way man.

User Info Menu

Concerning your throne seat issue: when I load one of my hardware cases, i save the throne seat for last and snuggle it in so that the seat is facing up and away from the hardware. This arrangement has proven itself over the years and my seat has suffered zero damage.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Got to stop looking at these pix. My back hurts! LOL
    all the best...
    Hahaha..wouldn't fit on your moped kay?

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Wow!! Rich awesome collection. Now all you have to do is get a couple of roadies and you are on your way man.
    How much is your going rate Gilles? I know you don't come cheap hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Concerning your throne seat issue: when I load one of my hardware cases, i save the throne seat for last and snuggle it in so that the seat is facing up and away from the hardware. This arrangement has proven itself over the years and my seat has suffered zero damage.

GeeDeeEmm
    Good for you GeeDeeEmm. If my throne were black as they typically come, I'd probably wouldn't sweat throwing it in there but this one has a white insert...hard to keep clean and tough to replace as it came stock with the kit.

User Info Menu

Nice cases Rich.
    Now all you need is a long cable with a lock to thread threw all those cases to prevent them from having feet.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Very nice! I've developed a real appreciation for good cases, whether it's for my drums or the PA system, lights, etc.. When everything is packed away in nice, sturdy & functional cases, it makes loading & unloading for a gig 100X easier and faster.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

How well do those cymbal vaults hold China Cymbals? I think I noticed a China in one of your cymbal vaults, but SKB says the vaults cannot hold chinas or flat rides.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Great case review and good to see you posting again Late8.
    I have a mix of cases for my two kits with a couple of SKB's in there. Very nice cases.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Arrow Re: Added More SKB Cases

Great line up of cases man.
    Like the line of 4.

User Info Menu

Gees they are very nice.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

sure is nice Rich. Do you still have your Pork Pie set?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

i absolutely love my SKB cases. They have saved me from a heart attack many of times !

User Info Menu

Seems like overkill especially if you are loading, transporting and handling your own equipment.

all the best...

User Info Menu

the only thing i don't like to do is break down boom arms and hardware in general. So that is why the bag I use works for me better than a nice case with wheels. I'll fold up the legs, zip it up about half way and go with that. Yes my hardware is beat up pretty bad but that's just the way it is.

My cymbals go in a pretty nice bag that I've been using for years. Just noticed the zipper stiching coming apart a little bit. I have bags for my snares, and hardcases for my kicks. But that is another one of those deals where breaking down spurs is just something I don't want to deal with, so I don't even use the case when the drum is in use.

No cases for any of the toms I have.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Rich, is a kind of guy who cares about his drum gear very much. To him these cases are an investment to protect them when moving from gig to gig and I don't blame him one bit. Aye he can afford why not. Some care and some don't. I am the same way with everything I own and usually get good money when I sell them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Seems like overkill especially if you are loading, transporting and handling your own equipment.

all the best...
    When you have nice expensive gear you try to protect them as much as you can Kay so I don't think he overkills with these cases. If I gigged I would certainly look into these kind of cases.

User Info Menu

You play out enough in tight quarters, small clubs, no set up area, small stages and need to get off the stage quickly things are going to get banged up, just the way it is. The club doesn't care about you putting away your stuff just right with cases laying all over the place. They want you off so the next band can go on. By the time you get everything to an area where you can take your time putting it away it's probably been banged into walls and doorways already anyway. Has nothing to do with weather someone cares enough or not
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN