Thread: Evans EC-RESO quick review

User Info Menu

Default Evans EC-RESO quick review

For those not familiar, Evans has a new "EC" reso head on the market. Basically, its a 10mil clear single ply (Ambassador/G1 equivalent) but with the same "EC" (edge control) ring as found on the EC2 batter heads. It advertised to eliminate unwanted overtones, shorten sustain and bring out the natural mid-range sound of the drum. They also claim it actually helps projection. Like all new Evans heads, it also has the "360" collar design to help the head sit flat and even on the bearing edge. This is a nice feature for older drums that may be less than perfectly round.

I took a chance and bought a full set of the ECReso for my old Pearl Exports. I also bought an extra 13" to try on the floor tom of my new Jungle kit. Today I installed the reso on my jungle kit just before band practice. I never touched the batter head....just flipped it over, changed the reso (which was a brand new Ambassador) and gave it 2 full turns past finger tight. Didn't even tune it....just flipped it back over and began playing.

THE CONCLUSION;
    These are the real deal....no joke. They do exactly what they claim. The guys in the band just stared at me when I began playing. The tone, sustain....everything is perfect. Warm, punchy and resonant, with tons of projection. Not at all dead sounding like I feared. It was that easy. As soon as I get the rest installed on my Export kit, I'll update with the results.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans EC-RESO quick review

N2Bluz those heads are not that new to the market. I have been using EC resos on my toms for over 2 years now. I have mentioned these heads a few times in some of my posts but nobody seemed to think anything of them. Unless you are talking about a complete different reso head. The only difference I see if the 360 collar of which mine don't have. I love them combined with my EC2's. Nice warm deep sound
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-01-2015 at 07:04 AM.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Evans EC Reso heads - that made a big difference to the toms in my kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    N2Bluz those heads are not that new to the market. I have been using EC resos on my toms for over 2 years now. I have mentioned these heads a few times in some of my posts but nobody seemed to think anything of them. Unless you are talking about a complete different reso head. The only difference I see if the 360 collar of which mine don't have. I love them combined with my EC2's. Nice warm deep sound
    No....Your right, they've been around for a while, but you never hear much about them. I wish I had tried them several years ago. I put EC2's over Ambassadors on my Premier kit and I was not overly impressed. Maybe I should try pairing them up with the EC reso. On my old Exports, I'm going with Aquarian coated Super-2 on the batters.

The "360" design is wonderful for someone like me with old shells. On my 13" Jungle floor Tom, I had to literally force the new Ambassador down over the shell to seat it. You could not spin the head once it was on the shell. With the Evans 360, it just drops right down and sits on the bearing edge. It spins freely and provides the full tuning range. That's a huge advantage and a real problem solver. No matter how I tuned the 13"FT, it never sounded good. It had a funny off-tone sustain that was very annoying. The EC reso fixed it instantly.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 06-01-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Like I said I mentioned them many times over the years and no inquires/mention from anyone here until now Same goes with the EC2's I was probably the first one here on DC to use them and got some response a few years later when some members tried them out and loved them. My only guess is most drummers like to stick to the same old familiar heads and don't want to venture into the new.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-01-2015 at 09:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    No....Your right, they've been around for a while, but you never hear much about them. I wish I had tried them several years ago. I put EC2's over Ambassadors on my Premier kit and I was not overly impressed. Maybe I should try pairing them up with the EC reso. On my old Exports, I'm going with Aquarian coated Super-2 on the batters.

The "360" design is wonderful for someone like me with old shells. On my 13" Jungle floor Tom, I had to literally force the new Ambassador down over the shell to seat it. You could not spin the head once it was on the shell. With the Evans 360, it just drops right down and sits on the bearing edge. It spins freely and provides the full tuning range. That's a huge advantage and a real problem solver. No matter how I tuned the 13"FT, it never sounded good. It had a funny off-tone sustain that was very annoying. The EC reso fixed it instantly.
    Nice review..I'll check the EC reso on my next head swap.

User Info Menu

Nice review. I've been using EC Reso's over Coated G2's for some time now. Glad you found them.

User Info Menu

Man.. when i thought of switching to evans i tried one of these on my 10" tom.. and hated it. I may have to try it again...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Basically, its a 10mil clear single ply (Ambassador/G1 equivalent) but with the same "EC" (edge control) ring as found on the EC2 batter heads. It advertised to eliminate unwanted overtones, shorten sustain and bring out the natural mid-range sound of the drum.
    Yep............in REMO-land, that is called a Powerstroke 3.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm interested in giving these a go...what would be the difference in just using an EC batter head as a reso?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I'm interested in giving these a go...what would be the difference in just using an EC batter head as a reso?
    The EC batter is 2 ply 7ml

EC Reso is single ply 10ml