View Poll Results: Which FT style do you prefer, please post the reason why.

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer Floor toms with Legs

21 77.78%
  • I prefer Hanging Floor toms

3 11.11%
  • I have tried both and notice no difference.

3 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging FT vs FT W/Legs?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hanging FT vs FT W/Legs?

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm using a rack.. always in the same place..quick fast convenient

OMG!!!!! What a sweet set up!! Looks like the hanging floor toms are floating in thin air!! Nice camera!! Must be your DSLR??

User Info Menu

Legs. MUCH easier to fix my set up in between songs during a set if I set up in a hurry and don't get things placed in the right spot in time. I can just pick up the drum and move it instead of tinkering with wing nuts and other components.

I've got my rack tom suspended on a cymbal stand and even though I've got memory locks on and never disassemble the mount from the stand it's still hard to position quickly.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 06-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

DISCLAIMER: This is from a guy who plays mostly plays a cajon and, sometimes, congas.

How can one call it a "floor tom" if it isn't set up on the floor??
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post
    DISCLAIMER: This is from a guy who plays mostly plays a cajon and, sometimes, congas.

Because we just do, and everybody understands what's being said. You have a point, though, and the answer is that regardless of whether they hang, or are on legs, those drums are in the floor tom position. That's all that matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post

We also park in our driveways and drive on our parkways. Can't trust English speakers.

I have one of each, 13" floating and 16" w/legs, and would love it if my 16 was floating, too. The little 13 x 9 has a "better" tone. Fuller, little fatter/warmer. Not even meant as a "floor tom", but it sounds great no matter where I position it, right?
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    OMG!!!!! What a sweet set up!! Looks like the hanging floor toms are floating in thin air!! Nice camera!! Must be your DSLR??
    Yeah I took it with for video but couldn't get a good spot for it. But while I was there I took some photos of my new pedals and etc. I just love this kit.

User Info Menu

All my previous kits had floors with legs. My current, or newest kit I should say, has flying toms. There's definitely more resonance from the hangers I believe. Of course the newer drums are higher quality and better shell technology etc. but I think they're fuller and sustain forever if I tune them to do so.
    It's not a deal breaker either way. Legs don't kill a floor tom. It's just the choice I made as a purist approach to my dream/lifetime trophy kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm using a rack.. always in the same place..quick fast convenient

That is a cool photo.
    Love the kit.
    Also love that Marshall stack !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My 14" floor (legs) has a ridiculous amount of sustain. Truthfully I do have those rubber thingy's on the feet, and suspect that they contribute some.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Because we just do, and everybody understands what's being said. You have a point, though, and the answer is that regardless of whether they hang, or are on legs, those drums are in the floor tom position. That's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G
    We also park in our driveways and drive on our parkways. Can't trust English speakers.

I have one of each, 13" floating and 16" w/legs, and would love it if my 16 was floating, too. The little 13 x 9 has a "better" tone. Fuller, little fatter/warmer. Not even meant as a "floor tom", but it sounds great no matter where I position it, right?
    Thank you. I more-or-less thought as much, but wanted to be sure. I'm not sure I have even seen a hanging floor tom. I would imagine that not having the drum coupled to the floor might make a subtle difference in the sound that some may notice and others may not. Hence this poll, which I did not vote in because of my admitted ignorance in the matter.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

In a real sense a legless drum is not even really a floor tom, but a large rack tom.

all the best...

User Info Menu

My original FT is from'67. I added a 12 x 15 rack tom to the set in'79 and just recently suspended that from a cymbal stand and love them both. No issues at all, it was way too much for a rack tom
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

The last time I bought a sixteen inch tom without legs, I added legs to it. I prefer a big tom with legs because they are easier to position, and three tom legs are less weight than a heavy stand. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Like I've said in a past post somewhere: The large basically horizontally head oriented toms to the side of my kit have never been sitting on the floor. they were either on legs to the floor, held by holders drilled and bolted to the shells - or suspended by their lug holding mounts attached to stands sitting on the floor.
    I personally find it sounds better and is easier to slide the tom onto a post and tighten a wingnut than to adjust three legs for the height and angles I want.