Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancer

User Info Menu

Default Cancer

Do to the prevalence of Cancer and how many lives it is affecting, it seems to come up frequently. Gilles suggested starting a thread and I thought it was a good idea. Everyone knows someone affected and it must be eradicated.

My personal thoughts are that we HAVE to beat this thing once and for all. It's simply destroying too many lives. There are some conspiracy theories out there. One being that the pharmaceutical industry doesn't want a cure because then they wouldn't be as profitable. I'm not sure what to make of that but I do think that it's ridiculous that the CEO of the American Cancer Society makes almost a million dollars a year. To tell us that they must pay that much to get a qualified CEO is an insult to our intelligence.

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to share your stories of loved ones in your lives and/or your thoughts on how we could all do a bit more to help. My uncle got Cancer last year. It he said it was nothing short of living hell. He was lucky enough to survive it. Some, like Beau Biden, did not.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cancer

I'm already a cancer survivor. I had eight spots of melanoma removed that were dime sized. I have to get monitored once a month. Let me tell you, it's no fun. Skin cancer runs in my family. Living in a state where the sun shines what seems like 24X7 is challenging. I constantly have to where sunblock with at least 50SPF or higher. I have to wear hats, long sleeve shirts, etc. Let me tell you, it's no fun wearing all of that when it's 110F degrees outside.

I've had several relatives that have had cancer. Currently, my MIL is going through radiation therapy for a couple of squamous cell spots on her lungs. Every treatment she has, it just knocks the crap out of her.

I've had several other relatives that have passed away due to cancer. It just sucks. Period.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

it's a horrible thing. I've known some and lost some from Cancer.
    I truly wish all the best to anyone who deal with cancer or friends/family with cancer.

User Info Menu

A bass player in a very popular band I played in for over ten years died of cancer. He was a terrific bass player, friend and family man. I still miss him tremendously.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Over the years I have seen many of my friends, relatives etc that were taken away by that dreaded decease. I pray everyday that it does not take me or my family away. I try to eat as much organic meat, vegetables as I can find available.
    I have completely removed all household chemicals out of my house and use what our grandparents used which was vinegar, baking soda, borax which are safe and do the job.
    That is a good start cause we live in a toxic world.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-02-2015 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

My father passed away from prostrate cancer back in 2000. After initial diagnosis, they gave him 6-12 months. He ended up making it about 4 more years. It spread to his bones and and he agreed to experimental drugs through the VA. The cancer was staying in check, but the treatments destroyed his lung tissue.

A fellow drummer and good friend of mine is currently battling cancer in his neck & throat. He had a tumor removed a few years ago, but it came back in full force a is effecting the muscles and nerves in his entire upper body. He can no longer sing, play drum or even hold a guitar. Music was his entire life, so he's taking it pretty hard.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

All the relatives on my fathers side, passed away from cancer.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I just lost a good friend last week from Cancer.............they initially gave him a few months to live after they found it................he made it about three weeks. RIP Mike.

User Info Menu

Cancer runs rampant in my family background on both sides. I wake up every morning and live each day as if its my last. The toughest loss, ironically, were my English Bulldogs. They had no idea what was going on. I still haven't quite gotten over this loss yet....

Dad's side-

Grandfather: died- 1980 (stomach cancer)
    Grandmother: died- 1990 (bladder cancer)
    Uncle- died: 1995- (colon cancer)
    Dad: died- 2006 (non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma)

Mom's side-
    Aunt: died- 2005 (pancreatic cancer)
    Aunt: died- 2014 (pancreatic cancer)
    Aunt: currently under chemo- (pancreatic cancer)

Pets-
    English Bulldog (male) died- 2012 (skin cancer)
    English Bulldog (female) died- 2014 (Lymphoma)

User Info Menu

My Grandpa had lung cancer before I was born. A terrible disease. Unfortunately he passed away before I was born, but I've been told he was an amazing man. I hope one day cancer can all come to an end.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My father diagnosed with lung cancer in Feb 2000 after 40 years of smoking. He died May 2000 in the palliative care. I saw him suffer and go from a fair size man to almost a skeleton in only a few months. He was on morphine for the last couple days before leaving us. I was at his bedside right till his last breath of which was a relief to all of us. So I know how painful it is to see someone you loved, respected deteriorate in front of you. I miss my dad everyday.

User Info Menu

I didn't realize when I made this that within a couple of hours it would literally fill up with so many loved ones lost. Tragic and heartbreaking. We should all make it a priority to be a part of coming change. Donate more, raise more awareness, etc.

Thanks for posting guys.

User Info Menu

One thing I'd like to add. I believe genetics plays a role as well.

Here's an example. My grandfather who passed away at the ripe old age of 98. Was in the construction business and handled some very questionable materials, i.e. asbestos and some other very dangerous materials. Oh, by the way, did I mention he smoked like a chimney?

Never had cancer. He died of old age.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

I remember meeting a guy in the audience a couple years ago. He bought some dry ice at the store next door. He says to me "this is how we do it in Australia". He holds a chunk of dry ice in a towel and presses it to a growth on his arm. Presses the dry ice against the tumor and counts to 30. He repeats the procedure on a couple other places on his body. I met him again some months ago, asked him about the dry ice and growths on his skin. He shows me some scars but the tumors are gone. He says "It worked". He says the cold burn makes the skin wet and filled with pus but about a month later the skin heals.

User Info Menu

I lost an uncle 6.5 years ago to cancer. He was a true father-figure in my life. Toughest thing I've ever been through.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I'm already a cancer survivor. I had eight spots of melanoma removed that were dime sized. I have to get monitored once a month. Let me tell you, it's no fun. Skin cancer runs in my family. Living in a state where the sun shines what seems like 24X7 is challenging. I constantly have to where sunblock with at least 50SPF or higher. I have to wear hats, long sleeve shirts, etc. Let me tell you, it's no fun wearing all of that when it's 110F degrees outside.

I've had several relatives that have had cancer. Currently, my MIL is going through radiation therapy for a couple of squamous cell spots on her lungs. Every treatment she has, it just knocks the crap out of her.

I've had several other relatives that have passed away due to cancer. It just sucks. Period.
    Had no idea. Well wishes, my friend.

Tex

User Info Menu

Had no idea. Well wishes, my friend.

Tex
    Thanks Tex!
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I am a three time survivor. Right now I am cancer free. I hope that lasts a while. Another member on here has a husband who has cancer. Haven't heard from her in a while. Won't mention her name but if she wishes to give us an update, all the better.

User Info Menu

One thing I'd like to add. I believe genetics plays a role as well.

Here's an example. My grandfather who passed away at the ripe old age of 98. Was in the construction business and handled some very questionable materials, i.e. asbestos and some other very dangerous materials. Oh, by the way, did I mention he smoked like a chimney?

Never had cancer. He died of old age.
    Wow...98! He lived a long time. I spent almost a year driving my dad to his radiation/chemo treatments before he passed away in 2006. Like his mom (my grandmother), the cancer started in his bladder and quickly spread to the lymph nodes. During his last days, the cancer had spread to the brain and he lost the function to swallow. He died with his mouth gaping open. It was so hard to watch him suffer, I was relieved when the morphine finally stopped his heart and he was no longer in pain. It's been 9 years but it seems like just yesterday.

User Info Menu

Mark thanks for sharing this. You're quite a remarkable person. I'm glad you're my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    I am a three time survivor. Right now I am cancer free. I hope that lasts a while.
    I remember reading this here Zikos. Thanks for keeping in touch with us!!

User Info Menu

My heart goes out to everyone who's life cancer has affected. I mentioned in a previous thread that I was diagnosed with colon cancer July of last year. I'm happy to say that as of now, I am cancer free, but I am clearly susceptible to a re-occurrence now and it's always in the back of my and my families mind, it will be something that we all deal with for the rest of my life, my children's and beyond.

Treatments are progressing for colon cancer. My doctor told me when I was diagnosed that "If you are going to have cancer, this is the one you want". If caught early, before spread to other organs or lymph-nodes, the treatment is pretty simple and very effective; early detection is the key. When it comes to charities and fund-raisers for cancer, I support to the ones raising money for research, not "cancer awareness", I think people are pretty aware already, given the number of families it affects every day.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    When it comes to charities and fund-raisers for cancer, I support to the ones raising money for research, not "cancer awareness", I think people are pretty aware already, given the number of families it affects every day.
    Well said LP. Cancer awareness? Like you said, I think everyone is pretty well aware. Instead, LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 06-04-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    My heart goes out to everyone who's life cancer has affected. I mentioned in a previous thread that I was diagnosed with colon cancer July of last year. I'm happy to say that as of now, I am cancer free, but I am clearly susceptible to a re-occurrence now and it's always in the back of my and my families mind, it will be something that we all deal with for the rest of my life, my children's and beyond.

Treatments are progressing for colon cancer. My doctor told me when I was diagnosed that "If you are going to have cancer, this is the one you want". If caught early, before spread to other organs or lymph-nodes, the treatment is pretty simple and very effective; early detection is the key. When it comes to charities and fund-raisers for cancer, I support to the ones raising money for research, not "cancer awareness", I think people are pretty aware already, given the number of families it affects every day.
    Thanks for sharing this Linchpin. My boss casually mentioned a few years ago that he was scheduled for a colonoscopy and asked if I had gone in and had one done for myself since we both turned 50 that year.

I hadn't made any effort to have one scheduled until he mentioned his appointment. Within days apart, we both had the colonoscopy exam completed. Mine came back negative, his came back positive with evidence of a cancerous tumor in the area where the small and large intestine intersect. His doctor also stated that "If you are going to have cancer, this is the one you want". After some months of treatment, my boss is cancer free.

User Info Menu

Allan Fryer from the band Heaven passed away today after a long battle with cancer. He once auditioned to front AC/DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I think everyone is pretty well aware. Instead, LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
    /\This. At age 9, my daughter was diagnosed with a brain cancer. We were lucky. She survived. She is now 29, is a teacher, just got married last month and for the most part lives a rather normal life. Still deals with long term issues, but, overall doing well.

We participate in Ride For Kids, an organization that raises money to help find a cure. Many of the kids at the first Ride For Kids we were a part of are no longer with us. We need to change that. If everyone that knows someone that has been impacted by this evil actively participated to raise funds to help find a cure, we'd all be better off.