Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm A Freakin Genius

User Info Menu

Default I'm A Freakin Genius

Okay you all know that i luv my bass sound. (short and that has a click sound) well i noticed that most metal drummers have a clicky sound to their bass drums.
    i came up with an idea that does not use a trigger to make that click sound

take some duct tape and make it so that both sides are sticky. put it on your bass head, then put a coin (i used a quarter) on the tape.
    then put a layer or two of duct tape over the coin and start clicking away.

i did this and now my bass sounds extremely beastly.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Cool!!!! Did you figure this on your own or did you hear of someone doing it?

User Info Menu

it came from my very own brain dc.

oh yeah and some help from my friend who was trying to do this.
    except he ended up using beads and breaking his drumhead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    it came from my very own brain dc.

oh yeah and some help from my friend who was trying to do this.
    except he ended up using beads and breaking his drumhead.
    Oh crap! That's not good (breaking drumhead)!

Well, good for you, it's always awesome when you find something new with regards to your drum set!

User Info Menu

It's a cool idea but I read it in Modern Drummer years ago. I've never tried it.....maybe I should see how I like it. Blessings........

User Info Menu

Cool I'm a Freakin' Genius!

You might try double-sided tape to fasten the quarter to the bass head; that way you don't have to wrestle the duct tape around to make it sticky-side out, then cover it with duct tape in the usual way.

You'll find double-stick tape next to the regular Scotch tape at most stores, usually in the stationery or school supplies department...

(click-click-click-click...)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    You might try double-sided tape to fasten the quarter to the bass head; that way you don't have to wrestle the duct tape around to make it sticky-side out, then cover it with duct tape in the usual way.

You'll find double-stick tape next to the regular Scotch tape at most stores, usually in the stationery or school supplies department...

(click-click-click-click...)
    The only thing you need to do is tape the quarter to the drumhead with sticky side down. If there's a sticky side that the beater touches you're gonna have major problems. I used to use duct tape to secure my kick pads for my beaters to hit. However, after time the beater wears into the sticky side and it took forever to remove it from my beater. Make sure you remove the bass head before this happens. For you light footers out there you might not have this problem. Blessings.....

User Info Menu

I might try this, thanks for the Idea Ringo
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

ok, i dont quit understand, i really wanna try this. so you make the tape stick on both sides.. then you put the coin on the outside of the tape, and put a couple more peices of tape over the 2 sided sticky tape?? lol

User Info Menu

it just makes the bass klick?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

im not sure what he means by that, but its worth a shot.

User Info Menu

i might try it befor i have to replace my head right now i like the boom mine makes

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

actually.. i was experimenting yesterday, and i tighted my bass drum head pretty tight on my reso, and batter, and it still made a deep thud.. accept it was more controlled. how do you tune urs drummerdavie? i still have yet to find that perfect sound.

User Info Menu

ive got the back sorta tight and the front a little losser.
    the exact psi is batter 150.
    reso 130.
    it sounds like a cannon but has nice gosts and dbl bass roll.
    i dont like to play hevey mettal so i like to use acents and stuff on my bass and rarely use dbl

User Info Menu

have you tried just using plastic hammers?

Also mic positioning gets ya that sound too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

150 PSI? then you must have a drum dial right?

User Info Menu

Cool I'm a Freakin Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    The only thing you need to do is tape the quarter to the drumhead with sticky side down. If there's a sticky side that the beater touches you're gonna have major problems. I used to use duct tape to secure my kick pads for my beaters to hit. However, after time the beater wears into the sticky side and it took forever to remove it from my beater. Make sure you remove the bass head before this happens. For you light footers out there you might not have this problem. Blessings.....
    Thanks for the clarification...the original problem had ringo doubling over a piece of duct tape to stick the quarter to the bass head, which I think would have made a messier fix than double-sided tape would...

Good points as always, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

lafrin,
    what i mean by clicking is that the sound that most metal drummers have out of their bass drums.
    Examples: JJ, Adler, Bittner, Vinnie Paul, most metal drummers have a clicky bass sound.

User Info Menu

i tried this acept i used masking tape and dog tags and i put two layers on so i have two tags on the head it sounds f!@#ing amazing

User Info Menu

I have seen quit a few people do this. Another thing you might try is to tape a bottle cap to the beater. Different types of caps will give you different sounds.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    150 PSI? then you must have a drum dial right?
    nope
    pressure gauges
    and a dial key
    gotta love haveing engeniers for uncles

User Info Menu

read a SLIPKNOT article once joey does that quarter on the bass head thing

User Info Menu

Many have done that, but there are a few alternatives that work even better.

Gibraltar "Click Pads" - My favorite. Great click when used with a plastic beater, but still lets the low overtones through.

Danmar - These are actually just a straight up metal plate with a foam backing that stick to the head. Give a really aggresive click. More suited for very aggressive metal.

With either, I have found the Evans EMAD2 tuned low to work the best.

User Info Menu

Serveunion, welcome to Drum Chat! And thanks for giving us your experience with the click pads. Hope to see a lot more of you around here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It creates a lot of attack on the bass drum so the double bass hits are articulated. I have heard using a coin or large fender washer for this sometime ago as well. never tried it becasue I never needed for the type of music that I play. but congradulations on your find. It is fun to experiment on your own to come up with breakthroughs to fill a particular sound or need...