Thread: Blue Man sticks

User Info Menu

Default Blue Man sticks

My wife and son went to see Blue Man Group here in Las Vegas a week or so ago, and they found these illuminated sticks for me! Not very practical, but really cool!

Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Arrow Re: Blue Man sticks

Batteries inside somewhere?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Blue Man sticks

Cool. Like mini light sabers they appear.....young Jedi Drummer.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

They might be fun. I've not seen them before.

User Info Menu

Still no Dubs eh Cabasner?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Man View Post
    Batteries inside somewhere?
    In the base. Drum Bum sells them.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuSTK-20.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Still no Dubs eh Cabasner?
    Nope, Bob, nope... My dealer has been trying to get some info from DW about the status of my new kit, but no success as of last week. He's going to try to call them this week. I've got plenty to keep me busy, but I still would like my drums I'm wondering if the holdup is the May Monorail/Audix D6 thing that I'm putting in my bass drum. It's over a week since they were supposed to be done, not to mention how long it's going to take to do the double shipping (from CA to NJ to NV). I'm not thrilled that the drums will be shipping in the intense heat of summer, now. We're starting to see our normal 100+ days here in southern Nevada.

I've been spending the interim time pondering a number of head combinations for the new kit. I think I'd written that my plan is to keep the stock heads for awhile after the kit arrives, but here are my thoughts for heads when I decide to change 'em:

I've got the old (from the newly sold prior kit) Evans G1s (except for the 18" which will be new) that I can use for reso heads. I may change those right away. I had a set of coated Ambassador X batter heads that were on the old kit when I got them (the store must have changed them from the OEM heads while the kit was on the showroom floor), but have ordered a non-X for the 18" (they don't make an X head in 18"). So that's a second option. Third, I have the set of clear G2s that I used on the old kit, again, except for the 18", and I also have a set of brand new 10"-16" G2s that I could put on along with the new 18".

Lastly, I've been reading about, and listing to videos of, Evans clear EC2 batter heads, over EC clear Reso heads. I have been impressed with the sustain this combo gives, and might be great on the cherry shells. So, I will have lots of choices and combos for the new kit when it comes.

Oh, I specifically asked DW to put a white bass head on the new one. I like the black, but it's just so common on Collectors kits, and I want to be different. I'll leave that head on, probably indefinitely, but am thinking about an Evan EQ3 for the batter. All of the toms will have the relatively new True Pitch tuning rods, too.

All this time makes for too much thinking. I have seen a couple of gloss lacquer over cedar exotic kits of late. Boy, is THAT a nice finish! However, doing that would be contrary to my cherry through and through plan, which is what I'd wanted for purity of tone (I know it probably doesn't matter at all, but it's what I was thinking when I ordered the new kit). Too many gorgeous exotic woods... Oh well, if I ever come into big money, another reason to order a second 'dream kit', right?
    Last edited by cabasner; 06-07-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

The true pitch rods, like the true hoops, have been around for quite a few years. I have them both on my 2011 Collectors. Though any wooden veneer has virtually no affect on the sound of a drum, I thoroughly understand your purist approach in staying all cherry. I too am somewhat of a purist as I've mentioned before as I flew my floors as opposed to legs. I know for a fact that makes a difference in resonance, not that legs ruin a floor tom by any means.
    They're all just choices we make. Isn't it nice to have all these choices?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    They're all just choices we make. Isn't it nice to have all these choices?
    Absolutely, Bob! Regarding the True Pitch 50 rods, I'd gotten the impression that those rods are, in fact, new items. New or not, I wanted them on my new kit!

My hearing is so damaged that I can't hear any of the subtleties that we are talking about here, in particular, the wood versus plastic wrap on the outside of a shell, much less a different species of wood ply as is used on the DW exotic kits. My guess is that the glue that is used to hold the various layers of a multi-ply shell probably has more audible effect on the sound of a drum than a single layer of whatever material on the outside of a shell. Can I hear it? I'm sure not. But it is, as Bob writes, simply the purist approach!
    Last edited by cabasner; 06-07-2015 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

When I went to Vegas last year I tried to see one of their shows but had no time. Cool sticks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love blue man group. Seen them 6 times.

User Info Menu

They are indeed entertaining shows. Only saw them once at the Charles Playhouse in Boston.

User Info Menu

Saw them in Vegas in 2007, their version of the Who's Baba O'Riely frigging awesome.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Saw them once at Universal Studios, great show, and inspiring to me as I was considerably younger
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Pretty cool. I've checked them out at drum bum before but wasn't sure if I would like them being a wood stick nylon tip type of guy.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey