Thread: hi hat and hardware advice?

User Info Menu

Default hi hat and hardware advice?

My new Yamaha HS-1100 2 leg hat stand just came in today. I brought it home and set it up. Boy was I disappointed! It's not the quality I thought it would be and I didn't like the feel (I bought it without seeing one in real life). I was expecting a nice shiny sturdy metal stand and instead it looks like low grade metal with plastic bits and pieces here and there and they really held back on the felts! The whole thing didn't feel good when I got it set up.

I'm looking for a simple, but very well made, hi hat stand that I can play without it getting in the way of my large feet and double Axis pedal (that I just orderd).

That brings me to my next plee:
    I'm a big guy 6'2" over (well over) 200 and have size 15 kippers so I don't want to be reinventing-the-wheel here regarding the best set up for my 6 pc Gretsch kit. I'm new at this (haven't played in decades). If someone close to my size has already figured this out I would really appreciate you getting back to me here.

Money isn't an issue. I'm not wealthy, but I don't mind paying for high quality - functional gear that will last a long time.

User Info Menu

I like DW hardware myself.........I have their 5000 series two legged stand and love it. I've had it for over 10 years. Still keeps goin and has the same action after all these years from my beatings. (BTW I have a VERY heavy foot and raise my leg high when I'm keeping time with my foot) Blessings..........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    I like DW hardware myself.........I have their 5000 series two legged stand and love it. I've had it for over 10 years. Still keeps goin and has the same action after all these years from my beatings. (BTW I have a VERY heavy foot and raise my leg high when I'm keeping time with my foot) Blessings..........
    I wonder if the "new" DW stands are as well built as your 10 yr old stand?
    I will make an effort to try them out.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Thanks.
    I love my DW hi-hat stand. Very well built

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Thanks.
    I assume you're talking about the 9000 series pedals and hardware. To be honest with you I've never tried them out. I've always been happy with the 5000 series so I've never felt the need to try the 9000. Maybe down the road I will because I want a second double bass pedal. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Im gonna be getting an eliminator hi hat. Two leg stand like you said. But the mech on the peddle gives really smooth sensitive action and i orgasmed when i tried one in the store... problem tho... there around 600$ australian :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i havnt tried the 9000 hat stand but i LOVE my 5000. it has the smoothest fastest action that i have ever used.

User Info Menu

Are two legged stands any good? I've never used one, but I just don't understand how they stand up. (this probably is a stupid question lol)
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default H-2000 Eliminator Hat Stand!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Im gonna be getting an eliminator hi hat. Two leg stand like you said. But the mech on the peddle gives really smooth sensitive action and i orgasmed when i tried one in the store... problem tho... there around 600$ australian :(
    I BOUGHT THE PEARL...
    I took my Yami 1100 stand back today and tried a few stands. The salesperson there said he had a Pearl H-2000 Power-shifter Eliminator stand (two leg) in a box - none on the floor. I read a little about it and remembered what you said about the one you tried. I bought it, $175 CDN. Wow - what a difference! I carefully set it up using the "black" cam that was on it (there are 3 other colour-coded cams you can switch if you want. What a pleasure to play - lots of adjustments on different parts of stand. It's well made too (and shiny!), sturdy and it looks great. I love the feel of the pedal base. I understand I just bought it and time will tell, but, for me at least, it seems miles ahead of the stand I took back.

If you're wondering why the cymbals on the drums I haven't got my rack stand yet and at least this way I can practice some cool sounding latin rhythms and rudiments on my drums. The cymbals sound pretty interesting here - they're laying on Evans HQ mutes (I have a mute on the bass as well). It's not loud, but the sticking sounds well defined with a whole lot of different effects. It may sound great recorded - who knows.

SOME PHOTOS OF THE STAND -and part of my kit so far
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I have the DW5000. You can't go wrong with the DW5000 or 9000 two legged stands. There great pieces of hardware.