Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prog Rock

User Info Menu

Default Re: Prog Rock

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes! I was absolutely immersed in progressive rock, especially Yes, followed by Kansas.
    Those were the two on top in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Always..............Got into prog by accident.
    My sister was given a Close to the Edge album by a friend and I played it as a lark. WTF? I was hooked.
    CLOSE TO THE EDGE is absolutely a great piece of work............simply amazing. YES was on top of their game using their best line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I love love love prog rock and find the intricacies of the arrangements and imagination in the lyrics (not just sex, drugs and R&R) compelling and timeless. When it comes to growing as a rock musician, no better teachers than the prog rock gods of the 70's.
    Yes, it does take a different listening approach to learn the stuff. You might have to actually practice some of the parts instead of the instant gratification of learning the average top 40/classic rock fodder. You might even find some of the material forever out of reach of your own abilities, but dangling like a peach on a tree. Frustrating and humbling, which is not for everyone.
    Deciphering the puzzle of shifting time signatures is one of my favorite pastimes. Again, not for everyone, but an essential skill to have as a drummer, IMHO.
    I like this guy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm only speaking from my own experience. I grew up in a small blue collar industrial town in northern Canada. In high school there were definite divisions along socio-economic lines and this included music. In my observation it was the rich kids and artistic crowd that were the proggers. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for the genre. I guess I'm just lucky. Been drumming over 40 years and part of that time was as a touring drummer, and I've never even once had to play a Yes song or a Rush song or any other of that music.

all the best...

User Info Menu

They were interviewing Nikkii Sixx on Howard Stern, and one of the staff who was a pretty good guitar player was remarking about all the good looking groupies Motley Crew got and theirs were sort of fat and plain Jane.

Nikki said if you play too complicated ,you end up with the fat and ugly chicks.

Lesson learned.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    They were interviewing Nikkii Sixx on Howard Stern, and one of the staff who was a pretty good guitar player was remarking about all the good looking groupies Motley Crew got and theirs were sort of fat and plain Jane.

Nikki said if you play too complicated ,you end up with the fat and ugly chicks.

Lesson learned.
    Ha ha ha That's funny!

all the best...

User Info Menu

If Pink Floyd is considered prog then that's one band that was able to hop the fence. We were all big Floyd heads on our side of the tracks. No one could write lyrics like those guys could in those days. A song like "Time" still haunts me to this day with it's lyrical implications.
    I once read the lyrics on a YES album cover and I suppose it was trying to be all deep and esoteric but to me just seemed like flowery non sense. No doubt they were highly skilled players.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Big fan of many of the progressive rock bands of that era. Don't think that some of the bands being discussed here really belong in that category though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    If Pink Floyd is considered prog then that's one band that was able to hop the fence. We were all big Floyd heads on our side of the tracks. No one could write lyrics like those guys could in those days. A song like "Time" still haunts me to this day with it's lyrical implications.
    I once read the lyrics on a YES album cover and I suppose it was trying to be all deep and esoteric but to me just seemed like flowery non sense. No doubt they were highly skilled players.

all the best...
    Close to the Edge was an allegory based on Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

Lot's of Jon's lyrics were basically rock scat singing not unlike Freddie Mercury's Bohemian Rhapsody.

He and Bruford got into some heated arguments over his lyrics.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Big fan of many of the progressive rock bands of that era. Don't think that some of the bands being discussed here really belong in that category though.
    The old what is prog argument.
    My answer has been I'll know it when I hear it.

Speaking of which,the best new prog group I've heard in the past 10 or 15 years has been Tool.

Some folks say WTF,but they fit the bill to me.

User Info Menu

I'm only speaking from my own experience. I grew up in a small blue collar industrial town in northern Canada. In high school there were definite divisions along socio-economic lines and this included music. In my observation it was the rich kids and artistic crowd that were the proggers. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for the genre. I guess I'm just lucky. Been drumming over 40 years and part of that time was as a touring drummer, and I've never even once had to play a Yes song or a Rush song or any other of that music.

all the best...
    I don't consider that lucky, my friend. Quite the opposite.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I like this guy.
    Thanks. I try to write my responses very carefully.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Was Meatloaf considered progressive rock? Maybe more Symphonic Rock? I must have listened to that album 1000 times as a kid. Bat out of Hell really was a great album. Excellent song writing, arrangement & production. Steinman and Rundgren really nailed it. For Crying Out Loud and Heaven can Wait are still two of my favorite songs of all time. I actually worked up an acoustic version of Heaven Can Wait on guitar. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a problem getting the bridge right.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Love prog, wish they'd revive the genre and bring back how it used to sound in the early days, but release it in modern day. The industry kinda killed itself off a bit, so it could use someone to breathe new life into it. I always felt like I was on a spiritual journey every time a prog song came on, I just never get that from some genres. Jazz provides a similar experience, but it's a different genre. I like the instrumental stuff too. I think playing along to a long prog instrumental track, the closer you get to perfecting it the more talented of a musician you'll become. So as a teaching tool, it's valuable to aspire to.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Was Meatloaf considered progressive rock? Maybe more Symphonic Rock? I must have listened to that album 1000 times as a kid. Bat out of Hell really was a great album. Excellent song writing, arrangement & production. Steinman and Rundgren really nailed it. For Crying Out Loud and Heaven can Wait are still two of my favorite songs of all time. I actually worked up an acoustic version of Heaven Can Wait on guitar. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a problem getting the bridge right.

Meatloaf, Heart, and Saga put out some of the best albums of the '70's.

User Info Menu

What? Nobody mentioned Genesis? Come on, people!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I once read the lyrics on a YES album cover and I suppose it was trying to be all deep and esoteric but to me just seemed like flowery non sense.
    Despite being a big prog fan, I'm not at all insulted by your remarks, kay-gee. There are no genres of music that do not deserve at least some criticism. Regarding the Yes lyrics, I read a very recent interview with Jon Anderson in which he said that he wrote the lyrics for Yes songs with the one and only purpose of making them compliment the melodies and simply sound "right" - regardless of what the words were. He indicated that narratives or story lines were left up the the listener's imaginations. That method surely works for me. I simply hate lyricists who obviously attempt to construct obtuse and vague impressions simply for the sake of sounding intellectual, hip, or PC. But take a passage like:

In her white lace, you could clearly see the lady sadly looking
    Saying that she'd take the blame
    For the crucifixion of her own domain

Put those words in the context of "Close To The Edge," and I'm hooked. (Even though I always thought that the last line was "For the crucifixion of the wounded man." My interpretation of the lyrics is actually better than what Anderson wrote - but that's what I like about his lyrics.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    What? Nobody mentioned Genesis? Come on, people!

I thought Genesis became a better band after Peter Gabriel left.

User Info Menu

"In her white lace, you could clearly see the lady sadly looking
    Saying that she'd take the blame
    For the crucifixion of her own domain"
    Yeah, at least the lyrics aren't whiny, self hating, depressing, sado masochistic, screaming, etc. There's more poetry in some albums than in all the 80's & 90's stuff! Plain old rock it ain't!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

How can I know if the song that I write is progressive?

If I write a song that has a latin beat someone might say it is not progressive, it's Cuban.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    i thought genesis became a better band after peter gabriel left.
    I agree ... and I also like a lot of Peter's solo stuff, especially "In Your Eyes" ...

User Info Menu

Wasn't ELP, Yes and others considered "Art" rock back then?
    So many incredible artists and music at the time.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 06-14-2015 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Jean Luc Ponty cosmic messenger, Jeff Beck wired, are a couple that come to mind for me. I am a big fan of Kansas too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Jean Luc Ponty cosmic messenger, Jeff Beck wired, are a couple that come to mind for me. I am a big fan of Kansas too.
    Oh yes, J.L.P. Imaginary Voyage. Al Di Meola, Steve Hackett....wow, Jeff Beck Wired! My first 8-track tape. Great stuff Lefty! But more like Jazz fusion?
    Last edited by Olimpass; 06-14-2015 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I think you're right.

User Info Menu

Good song, bad song.

If you like the song, does it really matter what label someone puts on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Good song, bad song.

If you like the song, does it really matter what label someone puts on it.
    That's right in my books. To me there's a huge diff between liking songs and embracing an entire genre. Yes, ELP, and all the rest (even Rush) had songs I liked. But as a player I was just more attracted to beat music. Blues, R&B based stuff I guess with solid grooves. Less study and more hands on.

all the best...