Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 63 of 63

Thread: Prog Rock

  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    How can I know if the song that I write is progressive?

    If I write a song that has a latin beat someone might say it is not progressive, it's Cuban.
    Look up progressive rock and give it a read. Very interesting and educational. I always learn something new when topics come up like this!



    Progressive rock, also known as prog rock or prog, is a rock music subgenre that originated in the United Kingdom with further developments in Germany, Italy and France, throughout the mid-to-late 1960s and 1970s. It developed from psychedelic rock, and originated, similarly to art rock, as an attempt to give greater artistic weight and credibility to rock music. Bands strayed from the short pop single in favor of instrumentation and compositional techniques frequently associated with jazz or classical music in effort to give rock music the same level of musical sophistication and critical respect.
    Progressive rock sometimes abandons the danceable beat of earlier rock styles and is more likely to experiment with compositional structure, instrumentation, harmony, rhythm and lyrical content. It may demand more effort on the part of the listener than other types of music. Musicians in progressive rock typically display a high degree of instrumental skill. Musical forms are blurred through the use of extended sections and of musical interludes that bridge separate sections together, which results in classical-style suites. Early progressive rock groups expanded the timbral palette of the then-traditional rock instrumentation by adding instruments more typical of folk, jazz, or music in the classical tradition. A number of bands, especially at the genre's onset, recorded albums in which they performed together with a full orchestra. Progressive rock artists are more likely to explore complex time signatures such as 5/8 and 7/8. Tempo, key and time signature changes are common within progressive rock compositions.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 06-14-2015 at 08:59 AM.

  2. #52

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Look up progressive rock and give it a read. Very interesting and educational. I always learn something new when topics come up like this!



    Progressive rock, also known as prog rock or prog, is a rock music subgenre that originated in the United Kingdom with further developments in Germany, Italy and France, throughout the mid-to-late 1960s and 1970s. It developed from psychedelic rock, and originated, similarly to art rock, as an attempt to give greater artistic weight and credibility to rock music. Bands strayed from the short pop single in favor of instrumentation and compositional techniques frequently associated with jazz or classical music in effort to give rock music the same level of musical sophistication and critical respect.
    Progressive rock sometimes abandons the danceable beat of earlier rock styles and is more likely to experiment with compositional structure, instrumentation, harmony, rhythm and lyrical content. It may demand more effort on the part of the listener than other types of music. Musicians in progressive rock typically display a high degree of instrumental skill. Musical forms are blurred through the use of extended sections and of musical interludes that bridge separate sections together, which results in classical-style suites. Early progressive rock groups expanded the timbral palette of the then-traditional rock instrumentation by adding instruments more typical of folk, jazz, or music in the classical tradition. A number of bands, especially at the genre's onset, recorded albums in which they performed together with a full orchestra. Progressive rock artists are more likely to explore complex time signatures such as 5/8 and 7/8. Tempo, key and time signature changes are common within progressive rock compositions.
    I was a big fan of the Canterbury scene which produced National Health and Brufords solo stuff with Dave Stewart and Allan Holdsworth.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

  3. #53

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    How can I know if the song that I write is progressive?

    If I write a song that has a latin beat someone might say it is not progressive, it's Cuban.
    Then you get into the argument is it fusion or Latin rock.

    Although there is a bunch of stuff Santana does that crosses a lot of genres.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

  4. #54

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The Guess Who, Jefferson Starship (Airplane), Moody Blues, James Gang, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Drifters, Steve Miller Band, Meatloaf, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grass Roots, .38 Special, Fleetwood Mac, Nazareth, Bob Seger (Hollywood Nights. If you could rock that. the people would dance to it for 20 minutes), The Stones (obviously).
    Heart, Bangles, The Go Go's, Laura Branigan's Gloria and Ann Wilson's Magic Man
    Those are all some of my favorites, Rick. I never heard of Quicksilver Messenger Service though. I'll need to look them up.

    The Guess Who, The Grassroots, and James Gang were my most listened to music. I even saw the Guess Who in concert, one of the few concerts I attended.

    I have learned to like a lot more different styles of music as I get older, except for rap and hip hop, which are NOT music to me at all.

    I like some of the early metal but can only take it in small doses.
    The metal where the singer sounds like he's going to throw up also doesn't blow my whistle either.

    Take care!
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  5. #55

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quicksilver Messenger Service- got that album, not much more to say, IMO.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

    http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

  6. #56

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    For any of the prog fans interested :

    There now exists a really good prog-rock band in the UK called IQ.
    They have a loyal following and annually get out on short European tours..........rarely do they play in the USA.
    I have most of their CD releases.

    And of course, the fantastic Steve Wilson and Porcupine Tree.

    Great stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  7. #57

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Quicksilver Messenger Service- got that album, not much more to say, IMO.

    The name just came to mind while thinking about this.

    I don't remember what they played, or if I liked it.

  8. #58

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Like any sub-genre of rock, there's stuff that I dig and stuff that I don't.
    Mmm... Saturns.

  9. #59

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The name just came to mind while thinking about this.

    I don't remember what they played, or if I liked it.
    Old San Fran hippie psychedelic stuff from what I recall.
    Some of the folks from Airplane were in that band.

    Had a hit with Have another Hit!
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

  10. #60

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Old San Fran hippie psychedelic stuff from what I recall.
    Some of the folks from Airplane were in that band.

    Had a hit with Have another Hit!

    I was there in '67 before I went overseas.

    San Fran was a crazy town back then. Hippies, the flower children, or space cadets, Hare Krishna's, painted vans, and a couple of school buses all painted up.

    Saw a few bands but really don't remember who they were. Went to Oakland and saw a lot of Hell's Angels and Janis Joplin.

  11. #61

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was there in '67 before I went overseas.

    San Fran was a crazy town back then. Hippies, the flower children, or space cadets, Hare Krishna's, painted vans, and a couple of school buses all painted up.

    Saw a few bands but really don't remember who they were. Went to Oakland and saw a lot of Hell's Angels and Janis Joplin.
    Still loaded with loonies.

    The latest SF law to pass is requiring labeling of any sugar drink or advertising thereof (includes Starbucks), with a warning saying it may make you fat or cause diabetes if you drink too much(and water is wet).

    Oh yeah ,and there's a tax to go with it.

    The soylent green crowd having their way.
    Last edited by pgm554; 06-15-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

  12. #62

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    The metal where the singer sounds like he's going to throw up also doesn't blow my whistle either.
    That style is known as CMVs.

    (Cookie Monster Vocals).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  13. #63

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Prog Rock

    I love prog. I am watching a DVD of Transatlantic right now as I type this. I also like fusion, jazz, and instrumental rock. I have played very little of any of that stuff. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

    Mapex Saturn toms, bass drum, and snare / Mapex MPX snare / Sabian HHX, AA, AAX, SR2 / Evans / LA Backbeat

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •