Thread: Layers vs Solid wood

User Info Menu

Default Layers vs Solid wood

Hi,

With my mentor and others, we were discussing making your own drum set, and the point came up of what would make a better drum shell:

1. Slim panes of wood, molded round and then glued together
    2. One piece of wood, hallowed out to roughly the same thickness (since trees are naturally round)

I realize a lot will depend on the quality of the wood, so let's say we're talking about very high quality. So imagine you have a large, wide tree in front of you with which you'll make drums. Both options are possible. Which one do you choose?

ps I promised to post this question since we couldn't think of an answer...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Layers vs Solid wood

There is an Aussie company that makes drums the way you describe. They are made from huge trees (Ironwood) that have to be really freakin old, and therefore, rare. They are reported as absolutely stunning and amazing sounding. Very full and resonant. They are also really really pricey.

[link removed. With the exception of paid advertisers, commercial links are not allowed. Thx. - Tom]
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I've read, but have absolutely no idea the veracity of this, that drums made from a single hollowed out piece of tree, may have a tendency to crack. I think, in theory, a single piece of wood to make a shell would be a great idea. I've often wondered to what extent the glue, between the plies of 'plywood' drums, affects the tone and ultimate sound. I think the effect of glue on stave drums would be less than the plywood type of shell. And then there are the 'solid' shell drum like the DW SuperSolid snares, which are created by bending a thick board into a circular shape and then CNC machining the wood into a perfect circular shell. My guess is that this latter method probably gives the best combination of tone and solidity of construction. But that's an opinion based on nothing than a gut instinct!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

When it comes to wooden drums:
    I've thought at some length about the ply vs solid, steam bent, molecular compression, machine from tree trunk (billet) shell conundrum. As awesome as the idea of true solid shells sounds, I find myself wondering if plies may actually be ....better.
    Stay with me here.
    Trees, and therefore their wood, aren't perfect. The density varies, the grain is not symmetrical, there are knots and channels etc etc. A thick solid plank bent will have stress. A solid piece of trunk machined may not age and remain true and will have variations. Tree rings are not true round and even.
    With plies you have the ability to inspect every thin ply for imperfections and mix and match and orient them any way you wish. Plies, especially with predominantly vertical grain, retain less stress and memory.
    As for glue, which some view as a massive evil, I don't think there's much left in the shell after hydraulic compression and what is left is absorbed and becomes a rigid vibrant part of the shell and can even add to conductive consistency.
    At any rate, I don't think there's an absolute best shell technology. Just differing ones, each with strengths and weaknesses. And of course execution and craftsmanship are everything!!!

User Info Menu

Good replies, I agree with you Bob, I also was thinking that the rings might cause problems, and possibly they could crack along them

User Info Menu

"At any rate, I don't think there's an absolute best shell technology. Just differing ones, each with strengths and weaknesses. And of course execution and craftsmanship are everything!!!"

I agree with Bob. ^^^

I think if I had a big tree, from which to build drums, I would go the stave route.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think if I had a big tree, from which to build drums, I would go the stave route.
    This!! Seems the least glue, if that is even an issue, the least stress on the grain, as in none, and the opportunity to pick and choose best sections of wood.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I am enamored with staves too, but only for a snare. I think done correctly it would be too thick for toms and I wouldn't want to even try to pick up a stave bass drum.
    I don't have a big snare collection but I just might find myself with a stave one some day.

User Info Menu

Steam bent single ply is how all drums were made prior to Gretsch's invention of plied shells somewhere in the 30's. Apparently the strength of the plying made re-rings unnecessary. So plying is probably the best all round method. Staves are time consuming. The first drums were one piece hollow logs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a massive Black Walnut tree in my back yard. It makes a huge mess every summer (truckloads of walnuts) & sits exactly where I want to build a garage. Someday I'll cut it down and hopefully have a local lumber mill make me some nice boards out of it. I'll get far more use out of it as lumber than I do now as a shade tree.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm going to have to say plies are the way to go for me. Granted I've never played a solid shell before only heard someone else hitting one up close and it sounded choked to me.

It seems like there could be hidden dangers in a solid piece. Also I don't know how a shell could have any resonance from a solid piece. Same thing with the ones that are blocks of wood glued together.

I think I posted this video before. You can't beat this kind of craftsmanship.

6:00 minute mark starts the tour
    Last edited by slinky; 06-12-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

"......The first drums were one piece hollow logs." And the sides of the logs were hit, no skins.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a massive Black Walnut tree in my back yard. It makes a huge mess every summer (truckloads of walnuts) & sits exactly where I want to build a garage. Someday I'll cut it down and hopefully have a local lumber mill make me some nice boards out of it. I'll get far more use out of it as lumber than I do now as a shade tree.
    Aren't they like protected or something?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Aren't they like protected or something?

all the best...
    Maybe somewhere, but not here. The only ones who would complain would be the squirrels. The little "tree rats" sit up in the tree, pick a walnut, chew through the outer case in one spot, eat about 1/4th of the nut then drop them. All it does is put dents in my tin tool shed and cover everything in the yard with a black stain. I can't even salvage the walnuts because the squirrels ruin them. On a productive year, I probably could fill three or four 55Gal barrels with walnuts.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

The harvest from that tree is worth some serious coinage! If you're a woodworker keep a bunch but you can probably sell a bunch too.

User Info Menu

A great sounding snare is a 1963-69 Slingerland solid single ply maple with rerings.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I've heard of people using walnut shells to make fish in small ponds go belly up. I'm pretty sure that's gotta be illegal!

Every year I go bow hunting for deer and Dad and me usually will get a couple. But I have had heck making anything out of their hides other than raw hide. You have to really work your butt off if you want soft tanned hides..maybe some Indian drum projects is the way to go!