Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride or not to Ride thread - Revisited

User Info Menu

Default Ride or not to Ride thread - Revisited

This thread took place in the drummers Q&A section last year:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ide-32441.html

Many people mentioned that they barely used their ride or even had any need for one altogether.

I just found this to be amazing. I know there are no absolute rules to drum kit setups or use of cymbals/drums. But I really believe that to progress as a drummer (even if you only play covers of songs that really don't feature a ride) you should have a ride cymbal and use it!

Many also mentioned that they prefer using the hihat. I love the hihat and do actually prefer it over the ride, but nothing compares to hammering a track playing the ride that cuts right through the rest of the music! i.e.. Rush's "Spirit of Radio".
    Listen to how sweet the ride sounds during the guitar solo in Eric Clapton's "cocaine". Absolutely drives the song!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ride or not to Ride thread - Revisited

To be honest, I'd ditch my hi hats before my ride. If you play a simple beat without any music on the hi hats, it sound plain, but put it on the ride and it sounds full. Love my ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm about 50/50 alot of songs i go ride for the chorus or whatever other small change is in the song..

User Info Menu

I love my 20" ride, and couldn't imagine playing a kit without one---I have a simple setup---13" hats, 14,16,18" crashes, the 20" ride (and an 18" china if I'm in crazy mode!)

User Info Menu

If I forget to pack a cowbell, I'll use the ride bell, instead. I'm using the ride during guitar solos, whenever, just to get my posture straight and not face the hats to the left all night.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    To be honest, I'd ditch my hi hats before my ride. If you play a simple beat without any music on the hi hats, it sound plain, but put it on the ride and it sounds full. Love my ride.
    I'm still a hihat by heart but the ride gives u different possibilities and feel for places in music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    I'm about 50/50 alot of songs i go ride for the chorus or whatever other small change is in the song..
    I'm trying to mix it up and go ride during the verse and a solid hihat during the chorus. Give it a try you will be surprised how sweet a song sounds

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I love my 20" ride, and couldn't imagine playing a kit without one---I have a simple setup---13" hats, 14,16,18" crashes, the 20" ride (and an 18" china if I'm in crazy mode!)
    Exactly, could u imagine having 3 crashes without a ride to complement? Play that bell and throw in some crash accents!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    If I forget to pack a cowbell, I'll use the ride bell, instead. I'm using the ride during guitar solos, whenever, just to get my posture straight and not face the hats to the left all night.
    That's just it. Most players play crossed on the hats. The advantage of playing the ride is your playing open handed (no crossing) and opens the possibilities of toms and other cymbals from both hands much more easily.

User Info Menu

An example of a song that uses the bell to drive the whole piece is Kim Mitchell - go for soda. Wouldn't be the same without it.

-Mike

User Info Menu

An example of a song that uses the bell to drive the whole piece is Kim Mitchell - go for soda. Wouldn't be the same without it.
    Excellent example! It really cuts through. I wonder what ride the drummer used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    That's just it. Most players play crossed on the hats. The advantage of playing the ride is your playing open handed (no crossing) and opens the possibilities of toms and other cymbals from both hands much more easily.
    This is exactly why, on a new drum / percussion setup I am building, the hi-hat and ride will both be on the right side. There is no bass drum so I can get away with having the pedal there and it won't mess up anything. I've never liked crossing to play the hi-hat. I do it of course, but I don't really like doing it if that makes sense.
    I couldn't imagine playing without my ride and I use around 20 cymbals! Often I can play ride patterns between multiple cymbals, like ride and crashes, or large china etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    This is exactly why, on a new drum / percussion setup I am building, the hi-hat and ride will both be on the right side. There is no bass drum so I can get away with having the pedal there and it won't mess up anything. I've never liked crossing to play the hi-hat. I do it of course, but I don't really like doing it if that makes sense.
    I couldn't imagine playing without my ride and I use around 20 cymbals! Often I can play ride patterns between multiple cymbals, like ride and crashes, or large china etc.
    I hate crossing too. It's the reason why I play my hats really high. I like Mike mangini's kit. The hi hats are off to the right, but the pedals are in the same spots. A kick and hi hat pedal for each foot. It makes me want to get a remote stand and play with my setup.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Be sure to show us some picks when it's all done!

User Info Menu

I hate crossing too. It's the reason why I play my hats really high. I like Mike mangini's kit. The hi hats are off to the right, but the pedals are in the same spots. A kick and hi hat pedal for each foot. It makes me want to get a remote stand and play with my setup.
    Mangini's setup is very cool, for sure. I'd like a remote hat but I just can't justify the purchase right now. Rather than having my hats high, since they will be on the right side I can have them very low and won't have to cross. Even when I had them in a normal position I didn't like them high which didn't work well for crossing over!

User Info Menu

I have to say that I'm against a hihat on the right side (for right handed players) unless it's an extra hihat auxiliary.

What i'm practicing is using my left hand as more of the lead hand on the left side of my kit (where the hihat is) and lead with my right on the right side of my kit (where the ride is).

User Info Menu

I am actually going to invest in getting a ride because genres like jazz I see alot of players using the ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    I am actually going to invest in getting a ride because genres like jazz I see alot of players using the ride
    In jazz, the ride is the central time keeper.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    100% exactly why everyone should have and use a ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    In jazz, the ride is the central time keeper.

all the best...
    Rides were really intended for jazz music...Once again another reason for all drummers to have and play with a ride.

User Info Menu

Rides were really intended for jazz music...Once again another reason for all drummers to have and play with a ride.
    Well, to be fair not all drummers are playing jazz. Or, many will learn the basic rhythms for swing, maybe some fusion-type stuff but they don't really play it often. I've heard quite a few people try to play swing for example with a ride that totally does not work for that sound.
    I think part of the reason I use my ride so much is because of some of the music I listen to, a lot of the more involved jazz/fusion stuff is very ride dominant. Sometimes the drummer may have multiple rides (Antonio Sanchez for example) for even more options.

User Info Menu

Well, to be fair not all drummers are playing jazz. Or, many will learn the basic rhythms for swing, maybe some fusion-type stuff but they don't really play it often. I've heard quite a few people try to play swing for example with a ride that totally does not work for that sound.
    I think part of the reason I use my ride so much is because of some of the music I listen to, a lot of the more involved jazz/fusion stuff is very ride dominant. Sometimes the drummer may have multiple rides (Antonio Sanchez for example) for even more options.
    That's true that not all drummers play jazz but of course rides can be intended for all other styles of percussion/drums. I just found it amazing that many players really considered not even having and/or using a ride. To me, it's just as significant as your hihat or main crash cymbal.

User Info Menu

That's true that not all drummers play jazz but of course rides can be intended for all other styles of percussion/drums. I just found it amazing that many players really considered not even having and/or using a ride. To me, it's just as significant as your hihat or main crash cymbal.
    Yeah, I agree. Pretty much any musical style sounds good with a ride.

User Info Menu

When it gets right down to it, cymbals are not even needed at all. Imagine the rhythms and grooves there could be if drummers just played drums. Probably could create an unusual and interesting sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    When it gets right down to it, cymbals are not even needed at all. Imagine the rhythms and grooves there could be if drummers just played drums. Probably could create an unusual and interesting sound.

all the best...
    Well I guess if you look at it that way, then sure go ahead. Play a gig or record tracks without cymbals, it can be done.