Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple

Have had for 4 days now, would normally wait a lil longer to review but figured why not just give my 1st impressions.

Specs:

22 x 18 BD (non virgin)
    10 x 7 Rack tom
    12 x 8 Rack Tom
    14 x 13 Floor tom w/legs (On Back Order 10/15)
    16 x 15 Floor tom w/legs

BD has 30 degree bearing edges
    all toms have 45 degree bearing edges

Color is Polar white and is the best color option IMO. Has small flakes in it which take on hues of just about every color in the rainbow depending on the lighting in the room.

Total price OTD for 5pc kit $3000 us

Shells are Maple- Wenge- Maple with BD being 8mm thick and all others being 6mm thick.
    Shell interiors are coated with a vintage natural finish for enhanced tone and refined looks.

Heads seem to be Remo emperors with a yamaha logo but not sure if dealer changed the heads as both reso and batters say Yamaha BE batter on them?

All toms have aluminum die cast hoops top and bottom.

Hook lugs are a nice feature, makes head changes easier but there is a learning curve when tuning with them. When you get them finger tight you really then need to go no more than a half turn on each lug instead of a full turn which is what I have always done. The tuning on this kit is super sensitive and stays right where you put it after playing. The lugs themselves are very small where attached to the shells.

I picked the kit up from the drum shop and they expertly boxed it for me like they were going to ship it. Kit is in flawless condition edges perfect and shells perfectly round. I found a 4 screws on the BD loose where I had to turn about a full turn and a half to tighten but otherwise no other issues.

The BD claw lugs are all rubber lined and all but the bottom 2 have handles to make tuning adjustments on the fly w/o requiring a key. Love this feature. BD hoop came with a rubber patch already on it for pedal protection but I think the drum shop did this and not yamaha.

Yess 3 mounts are very sturdy and firm. Very minmal swaying when banging away.

Comes with a nice 3-holed rack mount that fits snugly into the BD. 3rd hole is great for a cymbal mount

Now for the Sound,

I been looking for all kinds of words and ways to relay my feelings on this and my wife came down after I set it up (which took a day) and said wow that is very throaty. Bamm that explains it perfectly, this kit sounds like it is already eq'd and is very responsive to how hard you hit it. This is all with the stock yamaha heads. I will change them but not in any hurry, Thinking of vintage clear emperors over clear amb.

I have owned all midline kits till now like Mapex Saturns, Yamaha stage customs, Gretsch cat's, Sonor beech (still have) ludwig Keystones, all good kits with their own little nuances but none even come close to this kit in looks and sound.

I highly recommend this kit to anyone shopping around for a forever kit in this price range, do yourself a favor and atleast give it a listen to in person before dismissing it because I believe it is the best sounding kit on the market. I am 100% pleased with my purchase.

Here are some pics, it is set up in my basement which does not have any natural light but you can get a good idea of what they look like in person. I will try to post a sound sample or 2 in the future.

[IMG][/IMG]

bearing edge with wenge in middle
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hook lugs
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MDK; 09-12-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple

I took some uncluttered pics with just the kit and no cymbals or anything but not sure what happened to em.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Glad you're happy with them. They look very nice.
    Looking forward to the sound samples.
    Rob

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit, great review. I agree though...we need some sound bites to hear this throaty-ness you speak of. The description of the sound, is intriguing.

Tex

User Info Menu

They look great! I like the tom mounts and the lugs!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

"wenge-"? What kind of wood is that?
    Love that kit-I 'm looking for a white kit, but not that fancy.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

About those lugs....is there some kind of release that frees up the lug with the tension rod still attached to the hoop so you can change the head without unscrewing the tension rods?
    Last edited by slinglander; 06-16-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    About those lugs....is there some kind of release that frees up the lug with the tension rod still attached to the hoop so you can change the head without unscrewing the tension rods?
    Exactly what I was wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

"wenge-"? What kind of wood is that?
    The kind that "creeps up" your posterior while you're playing?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit, I had a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in Vintage Natural from 2001 until maybe 2010.

It's interesting to me to see the changes Yamaha's made over the years. Mine was I think 7 ply maple toms and 8 ply kick drum but I'd have to go look it up.

Reading your review I wondered what wenge was, and a quick search says it's a dark African wood that is rather hard.

The lugs on my old kit had one screw that affixed to the shell, and a shorter nub that kept the lug in line. The hook and latch system of yours may be the same. The newer lugs kind of follow the thinking of Ayotte and Ludwig, which is to make a system that when changing a head the hoop, tension rods, and washers all stay together as one piece.

I remember my old kit came with the rubber hoop protector you described, so I would say it's safe to guess Yamaha installed that. I was surprised when I got my Ludwig kit that it DIDN'T have that, as I thought it was industry standard.

The tension rods on the kick drum of my old kit were all key operated, which I liked as I moved it in soft bags and they didn't snag. Each way has it's merits.

The tom mount looks very different from others I've seen. From the photos it looks like it might be attached to the bottom hoop but in others it isn't? What's it like to tear that apart?
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

"The tom mount looks very different from others I've seen. From the photos it looks like it might be attached to the bottom hoop..."
    Looks like you have to remove the tom mount to replace the head?

User Info Menu

Yes you can remove the screw and lug without removing them from the hoop. Love it and only downside is you have to get them all on before starting to go to finger tighten or the last one wont fit. I will post a pic of the back side of the lug later

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Congrats on the new kit, I had a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in Vintage Natural from 2001 until maybe 2010.

It's interesting to me to see the changes Yamaha's made over the years. Mine was I think 7 ply maple toms and 8 ply kick drum but I'd have to go look it up.

Reading your review I wondered what wenge was, and a quick search says it's a dark African wood that is rather hard.

The lugs on my old kit had one screw that affixed to the shell, and a shorter nub that kept the lug in line. The hook and latch system of yours may be the same. The newer lugs kind of follow the thinking of Ayotte and Ludwig, which is to make a system that when changing a head the hoop, tension rods, and washers all stay together as one piece.

I remember my old kit came with the rubber hoop protector you described, so I would say it's safe to guess Yamaha installed that. I was surprised when I got my Ludwig kit that it DIDN'T have that, as I thought it was industry standard.

The tension rods on the kick drum of my old kit were all key operated, which I liked as I moved it in soft bags and they didn't snag. Each way has it's merits.

The tom mount looks very different from others I've seen. From the photos it looks like it might be attached to the bottom hoop but in others it isn't? What's it like to tear that apart?

Thanks, yes wenge is a dark african dense wood and what Yamaha uses to make the Phoenix line.

"The tom mount looks very different from others I've seen. From the photos it looks like it might be attached to the bottom hoop..."
    Looks like you have to remove the tom mount to replace the head?
    The tom mounts are not connected to the hoop thats just a weird angle, I love the mounts they are very solid.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I have heard like 3 of these kits and they are just stunning.. to the point that i wish i hadn't bought DW.. Plus the tom mounts i find to be just beautiful. I hate the wrap around ones on my kit and have my doubts about the whole isolation thing.. Although i am not a fan of mounting to the bass drum. Just for how it looks more than anything though

P.S. anyone wanting to hear that kit.. look at any of drumeos videos with the older bright red kit..or the newer maroon one.. i believe it was an absolute hybrid maple also.. and always sounds great...

P.P.S. i love that they put rubber in the claws, and no key needed for them.. And if the rubber protector on the hoop was from yamaha thats just a great detail.. my dw's came with nothing to protect it.. not a big thing. Just points out how yamaha seems to really think about their customers and all the small details.

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit MDK! It's a great day when you finally get your dream kit!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the beautiful kit.

User Info Menu

Good review. Great looking kit. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this works or not. Video taken on someones phone and posted to FB. Not sure how to get it here. This is my Yammies 1st live event which was a free Birthday party on the deck, this is also why I do not usually drink and drum LOL plus our lead singer was a no show but had a great time none the less. The BD part at :28 finally came out decent as I been working on that for awhile now, I know it's a pretty easy thing but not for me.

https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xa...79&oe=55AFA6B2
    Last edited by MDK; 07-22-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

We are a Yamaha dealer at work at I love those kits. I have a Yamaha Natural Maple Custom and I'll never sell it in my lifetime.

I like that they kept and changed the quick hoops to metal. Yamaha first did them in a plastic and they kept breaking. I love the finish on your kit beautiful color

User Info Menu

Outstanding. What a beautiful finish! That speckle is similar to mine on my new TAMAs. Subtle but effective.

Congrats, man!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks here are a few outdoor natural light pics,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks here are a few outdoor natural light pics,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Now there's a couple nice pics, especially the first one. Beautiful kit ya got there. Enjoy!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Great review MDK! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. The outdoor pics of the kit are fantastic.......

User Info Menu

What's with the Crown Royal bags?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    What's with the Crown Royal bags?
    it's trendy... Funny to see drum people do it as car people do too lol