Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Splinting drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Splinting drumsticks

I am also one of those that does not break sticks. I "use 'em up". so to speak. Can't remember the last time I broke one. I have used Promark 5-A hickory for ever. The neck and tips are the 1st things to go. Cymbals and rimshots. Right now, I have about 10 pair that I am going to use to make a set of windchimes. Using a beatup 6 inch splash as the top. The rest I am going to cut up and use as kindling for when we go camping. Cut into shavings with my pocket knife, it's perfect.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Splinting drumsticks

Surprised someone hasn't brought up this suggestion:

Sticks break and splinter because of repeated hits against cymbals, rims, etc. The more the same spots get hit, the more likely you're gonna break them. Assuming your sticks make it through one practice session or gig, you might try gently sanding the stick in the damaged area to smooth out the chipped-away area. You may or may not be able to use 'em a second time at a gig, but you can at least get another couple practices out of them.

Now if you're not of the "crash, bash, thrash" school of percussion, you can keep your sticks much longer...my drum teacher had a set of sticks that dated well back into the 1960s that he sanded every so often to keep 'em in good shape for the rest of his life!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I've been using nylon tipped sticks since the 1970s. Occasionally I'll purchase a few pair of wood tipped sticks and use them a little, but I always go back to the nylon. I love the cymbal sound, pure and simple. The only damage my sticks ever display is caused by the hi hat cymbal offset. I've tried different seat types and every imaginable setting with the bottom cymbal tilt screw, but no matter what I try I always end up with the bottom cymbal extending about 1/4" beyond the top cymbal when played with a stick. When used in the regular hi hat function, the two cymbal edges align perfectly.

So there's a good suggestion for a new invention: a hi hat seat that keeps both cymbals perfectly aligned no matter how the hi hat is used.

GeeDeeEmm
    I have experienced the same problem with my bottom hat protruding, which caused my sticks to get nibbled by the edge of the bottom hat. I rotated the adjuster so that the adjusting screw is facing the throne - the hats still wont align perfectly but this way the top hat is overlapping the bottom slightly on the side that faces you. Try experimenting with the angle of the bottom hat - the more you angle them the larger the overlap gets (and vice versa).
    Last edited by crispycritters; 06-24-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Missed something

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Surprised someone hasn't brought up this suggestion:

Sticks break and splinter because of repeated hits against cymbals, rims, etc. The more the same spots get hit, the more likely you're gonna break them. Assuming your sticks make it through one practice session or gig, you might try gently sanding the stick in the damaged area to smooth out the chipped-away area. You may or may not be able to use 'em a second time at a gig, but you can at least get another couple practices out of them.

Now if you're not of the "crash, bash, thrash" school of percussion, you can keep your sticks much longer...my drum teacher had a set of sticks that dated well back into the 1960s that he sanded every so often to keep 'em in good shape for the rest of his life!

I'll try it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike