Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car woes

User Info Menu

Default Car woes

My rant:

I have a limited edition (only 10,000 made) 2006 Mazdaspeed6 2.3 liter AWD turbo 4 door sedan that I'm the original owner of with 213,345 miles on the odometer. The car has had its share of repair work while under warranty but regardless of that, it's been a great car and the AWD has gotten me out of many "hairy" situations on the road.

Last week, my shifter cable broke so I had the car towed to the dealer. Most of the parts for this car are only available from the dealer so it made sense to have them work on it. The shifter cable ran me $400 but here's where things didn't make sense. The entire dash has to be removed in order to reach two 10mm bolts that hold the cable in place. Labor for dash removal took 10 hours, $1300. The cable cost $400. Total repair bill $1700.

Before:

After:

Last edited by late8; 06-17-2015 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Car woes

continued...

User Info Menu

As if you haven't been through enough already!! When I saw your dash, my jaw dropped. That's insane. I'm going to be honest, the auto repair business is nothing but a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

New cars now days are made to keep the mechanic's in business.
    No such a thing anymore as a back yard mechanic.

Have to do the same thing to change a heater core on a S10 Rich.
    Tear out the dash.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

That's why I keep wishing you lived closer, Rich. I could have had that done for you for a fraction of what you just paid....

Sorry brother. That stinks.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

welcome to my world man...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    As if you haven't been through enough already!! When I saw your dash, my jaw dropped. That's insane. I'm going to be honest, the auto repair business is nothing but a scam.
    I read somewhere that one guy did this without taking out the entire dash and of course, the debate got sideways as it always does on car forums. I'm 10 years out from retiring and I'm in no way willing to take on a car payment. This car will have to get me somewhere close to my retirement date as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    New cars now days are made to keep the mechanic's in business.
    No such a thing anymore as a back yard mechanic.

Have to do the same thing to change a heater core on a S10 Rich.
    Tear out the dash.
    I agree. Wow Pops, that's crazy. Heater cores are usually a pretty easy job. I feel for man...

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    That's why I keep wishing you lived closer, Rich. I could have had that done for you for a fraction of what you just paid....

Sorry brother. That stinks.
    Thanks man. I don't think any other mechanic outside of the Mazda dealer would of touched this job. Modern dashboards are a major pain to put back together and the master mechanic at Mazda winced in pain when I told him what had happened when the car was towed in. He knew that the entire dashboard had to be removed. At $135 an hour, the quote was at 10 hours to remove and replace the cable

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    welcome to my world man...
    That's right, you're a car nut right?? I remember you said your wife allows you to dabble in custom cars? Cool!!

User Info Menu

Rich, I feel for you man 1700 wow. This is probably why I trade my vehicles in every four years so this kind of stuff does not happen. When they are under warranty who cares how much it cost to fix it but when the warranty is off that is when you really see what the cost of repairs are. Hope this repair holds up for you man.
    I am surprised the dealer let you take pictures of the work being done. Usually Dealer policy no customers allowed in the shop they say for insurance reasons and I say it is because they do not want you to see what is happening to your vehicle..
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-17-2015 at 05:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Cars are expensive in this part of the world. It's a lot different based on where you live from what I have experienced. Trading in cars doesn't always make good financial sense. Being that I work for a business that sells close to 15,000 cars (yes, 15,000) a month, I've seen it all. I completely understand why you don't want another car payment, Rich. But, I also believe fair is fair. Charging $135 an hour is just highway robbery in my mind. I'm also sure that the mechanics here could have handled the job. The hourly rate I am charged is $35. and hour plus 3% markup on parts.

That's a shame bud. I just feel really bad about the whole situation.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 06-17-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Rich, I feel for you man 1700 wow. This is probably why I trade my vehicles in every four years so this kind of stuff does not happen. When they are under warranty who cares how much it cost to fix it but when the warranty is off that is when you really see what the cost of repairs are. Hope this repair holds up for you man.
    I am surprised the dealer let you take pictures of the work being done. Usually Dealer policy no customers allowed in the shop they say for insurance reasons and I say it is because they do not want you to see what is happening to your vehicle..
    Thanks for posting Gilles. I always enjoy reading your points of view. Yes, you're right. All auto repair facilities prohibit customers from walking into the shop area due to the liability of injury so I had the service writer take these pictures for me with his cell phone and he texted me the pics to my phone.

I was in such disbelief about the extent of the repair work that was needed to remove and replace the shifter cable that he agreed to document the dash removal to appease my concerns. I too was trading in my vehicles before the factory warranty expired but I ran into some financial issues when my wife became disabled and got fired from her job due to her disability (good for another thread) so both of our vehicles have been getting us through this tough time

Cars are expensive in this part of the world. It's a lot different based on where you live from what I have experienced. Trading in cars doesn't always make good financial sense. Being that I work for a business that sells close to 15,000 cars (yes, 15,000) a month, I've seen it all. I completely understand why you don't want another car payment, Rich. But, I also believe fair is fair. Charging $135 an hour is just highway robbery in my mind. I'm also sure that the mechanics here could have handled the job. The hourly rate I am charged is $35. and hour plus 3% markup on parts.

That's a shame bud. I just feel really bad about the whole situation.
    Thanks man...the car runs great. I'm over it. My savings account took a hit but I was saving my money and stashed some extra dollars away (tax return), in anticipation of this type of repair bill. I'm slowly going to re-build this car. I have no choice at the moment.

User Info Menu

I agree with you Mark. Seeing your company goes through so many cars you know that some hold their values. I have owned Toyota cars and trucks since 1993 and have traded them in every 4 years and always got good trade in value for any of them. Depending on the deal I would lease or buy whichever made financial sense to me at the time. The longest truck that I have kept was my 2008 Tacoma and traded it on my Venza and got 18,000 for it. The truck had 190,000 km and was 7 years old. I think I did good,

User Info Menu

Sorry to a hear about the car. The mfg does that stuff on purpose with a car like that just to make extra $$ from people.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

That's why I like RWD cars. FWD cars just have too much crap under the hood and everything is hard to get at.

Back in the mid 90's, I was thinking about a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo.

They were fast, great handling without any add-ons, comfortable, and slick looking.

Under the hood was a different story. They are a plumbers nightmare.

Back then I still worked on my own cars and realized I would need a lift because you would never get it far enough off the ground with jack-stands (and be safe). I really wanted 1, tossed it around for quite a while, then bought my RWD Mustang.

I did own a '84 Dodge Daytona Turbo for a couple of years after I sold my Vette. 6 way power drivers seat that may have been the most comfortable car seat I've ever had.

I put a intercooler in it and a HI-PO computer that bumped the boost up and it beat a 85 Monte Carlo SS.

Sold it when I bought my '88 Mustang GT. Sold the '88 when I bought my current Stang that I've had for 20 years.

106,000 on the odometer, every single thing works like the day I bought it. Blaster coil pack, CAI, 8.8mm wires, 3.55's, and a Bama tuner that's worth about 35 HP gave it more power, and while it's technically worth nothing, I turned down $4,500 for it a couple of years ago from a guy who wanted it for his daughter.

The best part is that I can still do my own work on it. RWD, the only way to go.

User Info Menu

I agree with you Mark. Seeing your company goes through so many cars you know that some hold their values. I have owned Toyota cars and trucks since 1993 and have traded them in every 4 years and always got good trade in value for any of them. Depending on the deal I would lease or buy whichever made financial sense to me at the time. The longest truck that I have kept was my 2008 Tacoma and traded it on my Venza and got 18,000 for it. The truck had 190,000 km and was 7 years old. I think I did good,
    And that's the thing.... some do hold their value, Toyota being one of them. In that case, yes, trading in might make sense. There are some cases where certain vehicles that aren't as popular(I could name quite a few but won't) and don't really net you much when it comes to trade in in the state of California. The trend right now I am seeing lately, at least in this state, people are hanging on to vehicles much longer. Cars last longer here because, 1.) the weather 2.) no snow 3.) no road salt. People that do hang on to vehicles don't net much on trade in because there's no value left.

As an example, currently I still have one older vehicle, a '99 Ford Explorer. It's on engine number two. It doesn't have a spec of rust on it, the interior is in good shape and the frame has no damage. If I traded that vehicle in today, I could get about $500 for it. I have put about $4000 back into it in an engine and repairs. Should I trade it in? No. It runs and drives perfectly and is mechanically sound.

Now, with fuel prices on the decline here, that trend could change. I know that leasing is on the upswing here but from what I have seen of new car sales, the market is still flat.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Wow, Rich. That is a sweeeet car. I have a hard time swallowing the dash removal. I know it was the proper way, but I guarantee I would have done it myself and found a different way. I would have cut/ground the bolts or firewall.....something. I'm just too much of a Redneck (and too broke) to spend that much on replacing a shifter cable, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's why I like RWD cars. FWD cars just have too much crap under the hood and everything is hard to get at.

Back in the mid 90's, I was thinking about a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo.

They were fast, great handling without any add-ons, comfortable, and slick looking.

Under the hood was a different story. They are a plumbers nightmare.

Back then I still worked on my own cars and realized I would need a lift because you would never get it far enough off the ground with jack-stands (and be safe). I really wanted 1, tossed it around for quite a while, then bought my RWD Mustang.

I did own a '84 Dodge Daytona Turbo for a couple of years after I sold my Vette. 6 way power drivers seat that may have been the most comfortable car seat I've ever had.

I put a intercooler in it and a HI-PO computer that bumped the boost up and it beat a 85 Monte Carlo SS.

Sold it when I bought my '88 Mustang GT. Sold the '88 when I bought my current Stang that I've had for 20 years.

106,000 on the odometer, every single thing works like the day I bought it. Blaster coil pack, CAI, 8.8mm wires, 3.55's, and a Bama tuner that's worth about 35 HP gave it more power, and while it's technically worth nothing, I turned down $4,500 for it a couple of years ago from a guy who wanted it for his daughter.

The best part is that I can still do my own work on it. RWD, the only way to go.
    I'm with you, Rick. The '99-'04 Mustang is really a solid car. Their not sophisticated or going to win any engineering awards, but they can be rock solid dependable. I've put 70k miles (not all easy) on my '04 GT and never a hint of problems. The thing doesn't even have any squeaks or rattles. I'm looking for a nice used V6 like yours for the Wife to drive. The V6 models are cheap to buy and insure, good MPG, plenty of power and usually haven't been abused like a GT. All around great daily driver.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm with you, Rick. The '99-'04 Mustang is really a solid car. Their not sophisticated or going to win any engineering awards, but they can be rock solid dependable. I've put 70k miles (not all easy) on my '04 GT and never a hint of problems. The thing doesn't even have any squeaks or rattles. I'm looking for a nice used V6 like yours for the Wife to drive. The V6 models are cheap to buy and insure, good MPG, plenty of power and usually haven't been abused like a GT. All around great daily driver.

Brian, I agree with everything you say, but, remember, mine is a '96

User Info Menu

Best car I ever had was a 1974 Datsun 260Z 2+2. Bought the car for the wife in 1977 3200 and sold it in 2004 for 7000 to a friend's son who to this day still driving around with it still with original motor and tranny. Mind you I a complete body/paint restore in 1992 and that cost me 8000 from a bronze to the two tone. All stripes are under 4 layers of clear coat. I know the side trim did not look so good but it protected it from door dents. Never had any mechanical problems with tranny or motor.
    I have posted this pic before here on DC. The pic was taken around 2000. I miss this car cause it was a eye popper for sure. Someone asked me if it was a Porsche.

Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 06-18-2015 at 06:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Well at 213 K miles I'd say you got your fair share of use out of the car. $ 1700 is still a lot of money though.

User Info Menu

Not to jump off topic too much but damn, Rich, your car interior with the dash apart looks like my drum room on re-arrange day. Sheeesh!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Best car I ever had was a 1974 Datsun 260Z 2+2.

Back in the day when I was still building and modifying cars, I always wanted one of these to drop a Chev 350 into it.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

My dad always liked American cars but living on the military camps on Okinawa made it difficult to get good running cars from the US. This was dad's favorite ride on the island. He had me pose in front of it many times. It looks like a Dodge:

Toyotas make solid cars and trucks. As I grew older, good used American cars became scarce so dad went to the only Toyota dealership on the island and brought home our first brand-new car a 1968 Toyota Toyopet also known as a Toyota Corona in the US. I remember the gas tank leaked on the second day of ownership so it had to go back to the dealer and we were without a car for almost a month lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Sorry to a hear about the car. The mfg does that stuff on purpose with a car like that just to make extra $$ from people.
    Here's my theory. As the Mazda made its way down the assembly line, the shifter and cable were installed before the dash made it in. It's all done by robots. Watch this video. This is typical on how dashboards are installed on today's modern assembly line. If you need to remove or replace something that's been installed in the area where the dashboard is installed, and guess what? That robotic arm ain't around.

It's up to this guy, the mechanic:

I agree Rick.

And that's the thing.... some do hold their value, Toyota being one of them. In that case, yes, trading in might make sense. There are some cases where certain vehicles that aren't as popular(I could name quite a few but won't) and don't really net you much when it comes to trade in in the state of California. The trend right now I am seeing lately, at least in this state, people are hanging on to vehicles much longer. Cars last longer here because, 1.) the weather 2.) no snow 3.) no road salt. People that do hang on to vehicles don't net much on trade in because there's no value left.

As an example, currently I still have one older vehicle, a '99 Ford Explorer. It's on engine number two. It doesn't have a spec of rust on it, the interior is in good shape and the frame has no damage. If I traded that vehicle in today, I could get about $500 for it. I have put about $4000 back into it in an engine and repairs. Should I trade it in? No. It runs and drives perfectly and is mechanically sound.

Now, with fuel prices on the decline here, that trend could change. I know that leasing is on the upswing here but from what I have seen of new car sales, the market is still flat.
    Great point Mark. Here's the deal breaker on trading my car in. The 2006 Mazdaspeed6 is on the recall list for the defective airbag situation. Hahahaha that's right man. It has the Takata exploding air bag canister. The death toll worldwide has been nine confirmed fatalities due to the air bag canister exploding upon front collisions. 36 million vehicles have recently been added to the Takata air bag recall. There's a NTSB law that states no vehicle can be sold if a recall has been issued for any safety related issues. A recall red flag notice also comes up on any search engine when I enter my VIN into the search window. I can't even trade this thing in. A dealer won't touch it until the air bag has been replaced with a new unit. Rumor has it that this could take up to 3 years to get new parts. I'm stuck one way or the other. Meanwhile, I'm driving with a potential exploding grenade in my face.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow, Rich. That is a sweeeet car. I have a hard time swallowing the dash removal. I know it was the proper way, but I guarantee I would have done it myself and found a different way. I would have cut/ground the bolts or firewall.....something. I'm just too much of a Redneck (and too broke) to spend that much on replacing a shifter cable, LOL.
    Yep, you're correct Brian. I found a guy who did this on the internet without having to remove the dashboard but it was a DIY project that I had no intentions of doing myself.

Best car I ever had was a 1974 Datsun 260Z 2+2. Bought the car for the wife in 1977 3200 and sold it in 2004 for 7000 to a friend's son who to this day still driving around with it still with original motor and tranny. Mind you I a complete body/paint restore in 1992 and that cost me 8000 from a bronze to the two tone. All stripes are under 4 layers of clear coat. I know the side trim did not look so good but it protected it from door dents. Never had any mechanical problems with tranny or motor.
    I have posted this pic before here on DC. The pic was taken around 2000. I miss this car cause it was a eye popper for sure. Someone asked me if it was a Porsche.
    Nice car Gilles!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Well at 213 K miles I'd say you got your fair share of use out of the car. $ 1700 is still a lot of money though.
    Yes, $1700 is a lot but it sure sounds better than a $35,000+ car loan.
    Last edited by late8; 06-18-2015 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Wow, Rich. That's crazy!
    Yep. I agree. I'm going nuts.

User Info Menu

Brian, I agree with everything you say, but, remember, mine is a '96

That's a sweet car.

'95-'98 would work as well...99.5% the same car. Actually, they are even slightly lighter than the '99-'04. Ford added extra chassis bracing, dound deadening, etc. starting in '99. My 04 is MUCH stiffer and solid than the '82 and '84 GT's I used to own. I would love to have another 79-94 GT but they're too hard to find. If you do find a nice one that isn't thrashed, they want an arm & a leg. The Fox platform was one of the most prolific ever. To think that it was designed back in 1978 as the Fairmont and was used for Mustangs, T-birds, Lincoln Mk VII's, Capris & Cougars for 26 years. It's amazing to think that the '04 SVT "Terminator" Cobra was the same basic car as a 78 Fairmont......although with a LOT (26yrs) of refinements, LOL.
    -Brian