Thread: Who Remembers Black Oak Arkansas ?

User Info Menu

Default Who Remembers Black Oak Arkansas ?

My band (#1) will play an outdoor festival this Saturday night.
    Music begins at noon............we are scheduled for the 8-9PM slot and will be the opening act for BOA, who finishes up the festival with the 9-10PM slot.

It is my understanding that there are still two original members of the band (Jim Dandy and Ricky Reynolds).
    Should be a hoot....................

I can still remember watching the CALIFORNIA JAM on TV during the early 70s.
    BOA played a set and the drummer was killer...............my first exposure to the great Tommy Aldridge.............wow............his solo was very good.
    This is also the same concert where Richie Blackmore suffered injury and burns when Deep Purple blew up his amp stack.

The 70s.................if you can remember the 70s, then you weren't there !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who Remembers Black Oak Arkansas ?

I
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Arrow Re: Who Remembers Black Oak Arkansas ?

Saw them at the Aquarius Theater, (where "Hair" did a long run)
    Must have been about '1969.
    Southern Flavored, high energy, rowdy show.
    Go Jim Dandy
    Love the Aldridge especially with Ozzy.
    Ozzy.....? right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Man View Post
    Love the Aldridge especially with Ozzy.
    Ozzy.....? right?
    Yes, correct.
    Self-taught drummer, powerful, precise...........Mississippi boy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Heck yeah. How can you forget. Should be a very cool gig. Have fun. Lack of pics will not be tolerated

User Info Menu

Go Jim Dandy! Heck yes, BOA came through Sac. back in the mid '80s. Cool man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Heck yeah. How can you forget. Should be a very cool gig. Have fun. Lack of pics will not be tolerated
    Haha , ya love it!! no tolerance for no pics!!

User Info Menu

The wife is going with me to this gig.
    (She is interested to see the meth-head crowd and count the number of which have teeth.)
    I will make sure her phone-camera has some room on it before we depart for the gig tomorrow.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

One of my coworkers saw Whitesnake a few weeks ago, and his first comment to me was "What a drummer!!" Their drummer today, is Tommy Aldridge, of BAO fame, still rockin' hard!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Well, I was there in the 70's but don't remember a thing that happened in that era

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Well, I was there in the 70's but don't remember a thing that happened in that era
    That means you are normal.................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    That means you are normal.................
    Thank you Ricardo . I have always told people that I am normal maybe weird but normal

User Info Menu

I've heard of Black Oak Arkansas.

User Info Menu

I had their live album. Great drums and guitars. Really southern with a touch of hillbilly flavor. Strangest singing voice I ever heard.

all the best...

User Info Menu

My band (#1) will play an outdoor festival this Saturday night.
    Music begins at noon............we are scheduled for the 8-9PM slot and will be the opening act for BOA, who finishes up the festival with the 9-10PM slot.

It is my understanding that there are still two original members of the band (Jim Dandy and Ricky Reynolds).
    Should be a hoot....................

I can still remember watching the CALIFORNIA JAM on TV during the early 70s.
    BOA played a set and the drummer was killer...............my first exposure to the great Tommy Aldridge.............wow............his solo was very good.
    This is also the same concert where Richie Blackmore suffered injury and burns when Deep Purple blew up his amp stack.

The 70s.................if you can remember the 70s, then you weren't there !
    I love their Raunch N Roll live album. They recently released an extended version of it. I grabbed it off iTunes. I saw them live in 1976. The are not very good these days but back then they rocked.

User Info Menu

In the early 70's I was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base, North Las Vegas. I saw Black Oak Arkansas in concert. Those were the days!

User Info Menu

I believe the late great Shawn Lane cut his teeth playing for BOA.. If I remember right he said that a lot of the older guys slowly died off and retired and that's when he started experimenting with Indian Ragas odd time signatures and the band leader was like
    "Hey, little brother whatever you feel,it's all good" lol.. but yeah Shawn Lane would go on to inspire guys like BucketHead..he was that good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I believe the late great Shawn Lane cut his teeth playing for BOA.. If I remember right he said that a lot of the older guys slowly died off and retired and that's when he started experimenting with Indian Ragas odd time signatures and the band leader was like
    "Hey, little brother whatever you feel,it's all good" lol.. but yeah Shawn Lane would go on to inspire guys like BucketHead..he was that good.
    Yes, indeedee...................

Mr. Lane became the lead guitarist for BOA at the ripe old age of 14.
    I own his CD titled POWERS OF TEN and it reflects the exceptional talent that he was.
    He , IMHO, was way too good for BOA and belonged in fusion bands.
    He played more like Holdsworth.

Shawn Lane was taken from this Earth way too early................R.I.P.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Yes, indeedee...................

Mr. Lane became the lead guitarist for BOA at the ripe old age of 14.
    I own his CD titled POWERS OF TEN and it reflects the exceptional talent that he was.
    He , IMHO, was way too good for BOA and belonged in fusion bands.
    He played more like Holdsworth.

Shawn Lane was taken from this Earth way too early................R.I.P.
    Wow! That's impressive. I'm not too familiar with him. I've seen his videos and he's incredibly fast and yeah he's got that Holdsworth legato going on as well.
    I dig guys like him and Michael Lee Firkins. With guitarist I've always felt it's not just about how fast can you play but more like are you saying anything interesting?