Thread: Me playing some blues.

User Info Menu

Talking Me playing some blues.

So, I got a call to play some blues...well, being a blues lover I said yes. The organ player? SWEET. He's a beast. The harmonica player is a local legend around hear. The first tune was one of my favorites shuffle wise, and the second has a drum solo. I included one that I got without video because I think it was the absolute best tune of the whole show. Hope you enjoy!

Any constructive criticism in welcome, also. I listen to a lot of Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc. along with delta blues stuff. It's sort of my passion if you will when it comes to music. I even dabble with harmonica and guitar delta stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Me playing some blues.

Great pocket you got going there Zack. I like playing blues too. The solos tend to be long especially during open jam nights. I found it helpful for me when I'm counting measures in my head, is to alternate between the ride and hats when the soloist change from instrument to instrument. In my opinion, this change in dynamics from ride to hats "rolls out the carpet" for the next person to step into the solo. My suggestion would be to "mix" it up a bit between some tasty hihat work and the ride so things won't sound so washy throughout the entire jam
    Last edited by late8; 06-24-2015 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

That was great! You had me smiling the whole time through your solo...nice work man.

User Info Menu

I like the blues but I don't play any of it maybe I should. Cool playing Zack

User Info Menu

late8, this was an interesting gig because it was supposed to be a solo show for the harmonica player but turned into a band show. We actually got asked to play extra because of how much the crowd was into us. That solo I did was a little silly, and the harmonica player cued me, but I usually cue with a snare hit or cowbell (he cued right as I was about to actually). I agree with the ride...unfortunately space didn't allow for my second ride which is less washy, so I chose one of my Dreams which is a great crash and pretty good light ride for jazz/blues. The Zildjian wouldn't have done well (no crash) and the riveted Dream is too low sounding. I'd love to get a cymbal with more stick, though. Thanks for the advice, I find myself more drawn to the cymbal but sometimes the hi-hat. I have phases! haha. Thanks again man, I appreciate it! I've been really working to get this shuffle thing right!

Cdeleone, I appreciate it man! I really dig Gene Krupa, Stanton Moore, Philly Joe, so I've spent a long time studying those guys. I try to do my own thing and give nods to them. Thank you!

Pearl, thank you! If you ever need recommendations let me know, I've been listening for awhile so I know some cool stuff you could check out!

User Info Menu

Good stuff Zack! Your playing and dynamics were spot on. I enjoyed those clips a lot.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Great stuff! I really enjoyed listening to that.

User Info Menu

Mark, thanks man! It's always great having a great band to respond to!

Rob, glad you enjoyed it. Thank you very much!

User Info Menu

Very groovy, I enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

Very cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Good job, Looks like alt of fun. I wish I had more opportunity t play the blues.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Lefty, glad you enjoyed it! Thanks!

FlyByNight, I appreciate it man! Thank you!

MDK, check out some blues jams if you can! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Awesome technique man; I'm impressed. Your left hand is smooth. Really solid in-the-pocket drumming. Nice hair too The ghost notes sounded clean and articulate, yet weren't too loud (or too soft).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toothpaste View Post
    Awesome technique man; I'm impressed. Your left hand is smooth. Really solid in-the-pocket drumming. Nice hair too The ghost notes sounded clean and articulate, yet weren't too loud (or too soft).
    Huge compliment! Thank you! I've listened to a crazy amount of blues lately (more than usual) and have found all kinds of little things they do with ghost notes. It's not just triplets on the snare, but the 2 and 4 is often accent, but the rest often isn't clearly ghosted, some of the ghost notes tend to be louder. Often the "and 3" and "and 1" ghosts are louder than the "and" that is right before the backbeat. It accentuates the swing since you're shuffling the ride. Never noticed it but listen to old blues, and it's there! And some dudes then didn't accent the 2 and 4 much, just barely and it was the cymbal!

Some days it seems like my left hand is out of whack and some days it seems super fast. Those good days are good to me, though. I just need to hit the pad a lot and get it going. Timing wise, I've found it's about confidence. Listen to the music, just play, don't worry too much. If things do get shaky, trust the bassist and lock in. Too much being insecure about it had caused me issues, so going the other way has made drumming so much more fun and more tighter feeling.

I checked out some of your videos, you're crazy good. The Tool stuff you do is insane. Nice hair yourself

User Info Menu

Really Enjoyed that . Finally a good video on here of some solid playing and also to some great music. Really enjoyed your solo. Thought you did some cool things. Thanks for sharing really really enjoyed it
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Nice! Love playing the blues too. The keyboardist was throwing in some Winwood and Booker T. influence I noticed in the first vid. Looked like fun.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-07-2015 at 10:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Really Enjoyed that . Finally a good video on here of some solid playing and also to some great music. Really enjoyed your solo. Thought you did some cool things. Thanks for sharing really really enjoyed it
    Really appreciate your kind words! I get into a lot of Stanton Moore, Zigaboo, Krupa, guys like that. Philly Joe also. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Nice! Love playing the blues too. The keyboardist was throwing in some Winwood and Booker T. influence I noticed in the first vid. Looked like fun.
    It's definitely one of the most fun styles to play in my mind! That dude playing (Jake) is a beast! I'm doing a gig with him soon playing jazz standards and funk, pretty excited for that! Thanks again man!

User Info Menu

That's cool!
    Not played much of this stuff myself, but you make it look like real fun.
    Bridie