Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doubles Routine

User Info Menu

Default Re: Doubles Routine

Keisha- what ever rudiment you choose to do, incorporate them on the drum kit in some creative way. Your rudiment could be in your fill or part of your beat. You don't have to do a complete rudiment, you could just take part of the rudiment. If you think it sounds good, it is good. That,s one way to build a drum vocabulary. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I like one I found on youtube pretty much goes,

1) RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL @ 16th notes

Then goes right into

2) RRLLRR LLRRLL RRLLRR LLRRLL @ 16th triplets

then into 32nds

3) RRLLRRLL RRLLRRLL RRLLRRLL RRLLRRLL

I AM UP TO 1/4 NOTE = 74 BPM
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post

Then goes right into

then into 32nds

I AM UP TO 1/4 NOTE = 74 BPM
    oh nice i tried practicing doubles as triplets.pretty tricky at first. have you tried practicing a standard paradiddle as triple i need to work on that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Keisha- what ever rudiment you choose to do, incorporate them on the drum kit in some creative way. Your rudiment could be in your fill or part of your beat. You don't have to do a complete rudiment, you could just take part of the rudiment. If you think it sounds good, it is good. That,s one way to build a drum vocabulary. Good luck.

I am definitely guilty of focusing alot of time on the pad and i need to spend more time using rudiments on the kit. i want a practice pad kit for Christmas lol so i can play to my hearts desire

User Info Menu

Great post MDK. I love those patterns

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    oh nice i tried practicing doubles as triplets.pretty tricky at first. have you tried practicing a standard paradiddle as triple i need to work on that
    No, I admittedly have neglected my paradiddles and doubles but have just come up with a 20 minute routine I do every morning before work.

I spend 2 minutes on stretching and warm up, 6 minutes on singles, 6 minutes on paradiddles and 6 minutes on doubles.

The Paradiddle exercise I am currently doing is moving the accent around like this.

Rlrr Lrll Rlrr Lrll

rlRr lrLl rlRr lrLl

Capitol letters being the accents, I think I got this one from Mike Johnston and am really loving it so far. I am trying to incorporate this into the opening drum fill in Eddie Money's Two Tickets to Paradise but so far am struggling with it but will get there if I stick to it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post

Then goes right into

then into 32nds

Are there sound files? I don't understand the dif between 6 stroke vs 16th triplets unless it's the feel of a triplet.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Are there sound files? I don't understand the dif between 6 stroke vs 16th triplets unless it's the feel of a triplet.
    So if you count triplets like this...

1 trip let....................... 2 trip let
    R L R .................. L R L

then you just double it up

RR LL RR
    1 trip let .............etc etc

I will try to find a soundfile if this does not explain it well enough
    Last edited by MDK; 09-23-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I've been going back learning the rudiments lately and along with the doubles,paradiddles I've been playing a lot of flam stuff, Swiss army triplets,flam drags and I really like this one a lot it, feels fun playing it.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Keish, if you are looking at drum pads, I picked up a DW Smart Practice pad, I really like it, it's got a good feel, and it's quiet. I mount it on my extra snare stand. One great thing to do is to watch a film and just practice doubles. two birds, one stone, and I think I'll revisit some part of westeros right now and do the same!