Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doubles Routine

User Info Menu

Default Doubles Routine

I try to work on my doubles everyday,routine goes like this at 60bpm

10 minutes on the pad i do a measure of 16th note followed by a measure of 32nd notes then 10 minutes of the same thing on a pillow

10 minutes on the pad i do the same measure of 16th note for 30 seconds followed by 32nd notes for 30 seconds then 10 minutes same thing on a pillow

the day my doubles sound like smooth clean singles is definitely a day of celebration.

Happy Drumming

User Info Menu

Default Re: Doubles Routine

Doubles are an excellent rudiment to learn around the kit. Lots of great fills to learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

She's acting single, I'm drinking doubles..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    I try to work on my doubles everyday,routine goes like this at 60bpm

10 minutes on the pad i do a measure of 16th note followed by a measure of 32nd notes then 10 minutes of the same thing on a pillow

10 minutes on the pad i do the same measure of 16th note for 30 seconds followed by 32nd notes for 30 seconds then 10 minutes same thing on a pillow

the day my doubles sound like smooth clean singles is definitely a day of celebration.

Happy Drumming
    Great routine. Welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

i love practicing my doubles. I could do double stroke rolls and paradiddles all day long

User Info Menu

Currently my project is fitting doubles and paradiddles into up-tempo Petty songs-do them too slow and they may as well be single strokes.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Here's what I've been doing. The ideal is to replace a 16th note with a double then you just move the double around. The sticking would look this.
    RRLRL RRLRL RRLRL RRLRL
    RLLRL RLLRL RLLRL RLLRL
    RLRRL RLRRL RLRRL RLRRL
    RLRLL RLRLL RLRLL RLRLL

I don't really try to count the 32nd note to myself I'm just still counting 16 notes but squeezing that double in there lol.
    Last edited by wired; 06-24-2015 at 04:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Here's what I've been doing. The ideal is to replace a 16th note with a double then you just move the double around. The sticking would look this.
    RRLRL RRLRL RRLRL RRLRL
    RLLRL RLLRL RLLRL RLLRL
    RLRRL RLRRL RLRRL RLRRL
    RLRLL RLRLL RLRLL RLRLL

I don't really try to count the 32nd note to myself I'm just still counting 16 notes but squeezing that double in there lol.
    Nice I will try to work on this. anything constructive to improve on my doubles lol

User Info Menu

Yeah if you were to replace two 16th notes with doubles then I suppose you are actually playing inverted 6 stroke rolls.

Other things I've been playing are the Bo Diddley 3/2 clave in 16th notes it has some fun accents. and the Wipeout Diddles. I tried to load some photos on music on photo bucket but it's not displaying right. but the links will take you there.

http://www.learndrumsnow.com/techniq...dley-drum-beat

http://http://joethedrummer.com/wipeoutdiddles-sticking-exercise/

User Info Menu

Yeah if you were to replace two 16th notes with doubles then I suppose you are actually playing inverted 6 stroke rolls.

Other things I've been playing are the Bo Diddley 3/2 clave in 16th notes it has some fun accents. and the Wipeout Diddles. I tried to load some photos on music on photo bucket but it's not displaying right. but the links will take you there.

Thanks alot the learning never stops when it comes to drumming
    Happy Drumming

User Info Menu

I've been practicing this for over a year now, my mentor gave it to me. I do it as a warmup, one time one the snare, then do the accents on the toms (LH=HT TH=FT), alternate them 3 times so its played a total of 6 times. I do 1/4s on the BD and 2&4 with the LF. I'd say i have it about 80% memorized and I'm proud of my doubles, use them as ghosts often now (im in my 4th year playing, so i'd say that a bit ahead of the game).

Because I can measure my accuracy on my computer, and because my mentor told me to make the dynamics more extreme, I don't play it super fast (I'm up to 142 bpm), I also do the paradiddlediddle the same way described above for doubles.

I think with rudiments, its not a bad idea to try to double up the practice if possible, they are easy to memorize so you can addother challenges to them easily (but not easily played.

Here is what I play: http://strimgs2.s3.amazonaws.com/928/179928_zoom-01.png lines 4 and 5 are my favorite.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I've been practicing this for over a year now, my mentor gave it to me. I do it as a warmup, one time one the snare, then do the accents on the toms (LH=HT TH=FT), alternate them 3 times so its played a total of 6 times. I do 1/4s on the BD and 2&4 with the LF. I'd say i have it about 80% memorized and I'm proud of my doubles, use them as ghosts often now (im in my 4th year playing, so i'd say that a bit ahead of the game).

Because I can measure my accuracy on my computer, and because my mentor told me to make the dynamics more extreme, I don't play it super fast (I'm up to 142 bpm), I also do the paradiddlediddle the same way described above for doubles.

I think with rudiments, its not a bad idea to try to double up the practice if possible, they are easy to memorize so you can addother challenges to them easily (but not easily played.

Here is what I play: http://strimgs2.s3.amazonaws.com/928/179928_zoom-01.png lines 4 and 5 are my favorite.
    wow thanks alot i will definitely print this music out and try to internalize it and 142bpm is fast especially if played clean. i been playing over 2 years now and recently switched teachers and he introduced me to the importance of learning rudiments so i feel like i wasted two years not focusing on them so i try practicing rudiments everyday and i love doubles so i really want to improve.
    Ghosting is something i want to master for sure, so dynamic and makes the sound so much more fun. are you familiar with the purdie shuffle?

User Info Menu

One thing I did long ago when I was taking lessons and practicing double stroke rolls was, I'd start out with a metronome and play at, for example, 60 BPM. Then, I would up that to 65 BPM, and keep increasing the tempo until I couldn't play them properly. Then I would go back to where I could play them properly and practice.... a lot. Once I had a certain tempo down, I would push myself to play a little faster.

Hope that made sense.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    One thing I did long ago when I was taking lessons and practicing double stroke rolls was, I'd start out with a metronome and play at, for example, 60 BPM. Then, I would up that to 65 BPM, and keep increasing the tempo until I couldn't play them properly. Then I would go back to where I could play them properly and practice.... a lot. Once I had a certain tempo down, I would push myself to play a little faster.

Hope that made sense.
    Yea makes sense because you were pushing yourself. Some other drummers say to play slow for LONG LONG periods to build muscle memory

User Info Menu

I love singles, doubles, and paradiddles. I use them a lot in my vids including 1 that is virtually all doubles.

At the same time, I never went nuts in trying to perfect them. Nobody will ever have a "perfect" double stroke roll or paradiddle because they would sound like a fast single stroke roll with accents.

Of course you want them smooth but past that, if you want the "perfect" double stroke roll, you might as well work on a fast single stroke roll because that's what the doubles would sound like.

User Info Menu

Yea makes sense because you were pushing yourself. Some other drummers say to play slow for LONG LONG periods to build muscle memory
    If you practice just about anything, muscle memory eventually takes over.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I love singles, doubles, and paradiddles. I use them a lot in my vids including 1 that is virtually all doubles.

At the same time, I never went nuts in trying to perfect them. Nobody will ever have a "perfect" double stroke roll or paradiddle because they would sound like a fast single stroke roll with accents.

Of course you want them smooth but past that, if you want the "perfect" double stroke roll, you might as well work on a fast single stroke roll because that's what the doubles would sound like.
    Yea I want them sounding clean so when I play on a kit it doesn't sound sloppy but not aiming for perfection because it doesn't exist.just want to practice so I can improve

User Info Menu

I just printed out rolling in rhythm. That is going to be very good to practice.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

What I find in my doubles is that the left hand just doesn't feel as comfortable as the right. I'm right handed so the left is my weakhand. But I would imagine that you will find the key to getting cleaner with your doubles or any rudiments for that matter is improving and strengthening the weak hand.

I also bought these big jumbo sticks just for the practice pad but they made my wrist hurt so I stop using them. They helped but I wouldn't over do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy79 View Post
    I just printed out rolling in rhythm. That is going to be very good to practice.

Keep drumming
    Gregg
    Don't know your level, but def try it the way I do it, with your feet involved as well (I'm low intermediate, so mid-high beginner should manage it at slow tempos as well).

If you're a good drummer, try BD on 1, +3, +1 ect...with the HH on 2 and 4, its got a nice feel. I've also tried playing the normal hits on the toms, and the accents on the snare, but my brain started to burn, 6 became 9, mountains fell into the sea and I'm pretty sure Mitch Mitchell's ghost told me to stop ruining Jimi's songs when i play along...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    She's acting single, I'm drinking doubles..
    How to you drink doubles?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Currently my project is fitting doubles and paradiddles into up-tempo Petty songs-do them too slow and they may as well be single strokes.
    that should make the practice fun instead of boring. a friend of mine shared an exercise doing one 16th note measure with singles then move to doubles then paradiddles.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of the wipeout exercise but why not keep it as paradiddles all the way through and just move the accent to match the song instead of breaking them up to single strokes in the 2nd and 4th measures?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

How to you drink doubles?

Rather easily!

User Info Menu

Rather easily!

LOL well my doubles routine changed to exercises from stick control book