Thread: may be going single

User Info Menu

Default may be going single

I'm having fun in the new band and new genre of music. I really liked trimming down my kit too. Not too much different than before but having less to set up is favorable to me.

Things I've done away with are the cowbell and the big LP tambourine, a china and 2 stands! very happy about the weight reduction. I could even get rid of the rack tom stand and just hang it off the cymbal stand but I kind of like the rack on it's own, plus it's a big rack.

The next step I think I may take is ditching the double pedal. I like it but I'm rarely using it. Always disliked tinkering with it during set up and break down in the past too. just one less thing to have to deal with.

The only addition I've made is putting my Meinl hi hat tambourine back on.

latest no frills set up
    Last edited by slinky; 06-24-2015 at 07:47 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: may be going single

I think it's always great to change setups and styles. It provides a new persepctive. Just remember to not cut back on stuff for the sake of just cutting back on stuff. Cut back on the things you really don't need or use.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

If you don't use it, I don't see why you should have it on the kit. I would take it off. It gives you a chance to work on single foot speed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Interesting you started this thread. Here's why:

Long story short - I'm coming back from a 4-year hiatus of drumming. I have a 5-piece Tama Imperialstar with a pair of Speed Cobras, and 7 cymbals. I've been drumming for almost 20 years (including the hiatus... does that count?), and most of the time it's been playing metal of various types. Played in death metal bands and such, and of course, I was utilizing the double pedals regularly.

Now, while I'm in the process of learning a Nashville metal band's material for live shows, I'm working to get my double bass chops back. It's a lot of work. They seem to have deteriorated much more than my hand chops. Sustaining a bad ankle injury during the hiatus probably has something to do with it as well. But anyway, my feet work is pretty shady right now and it's tough getting it back.

On the other hand, I'm also in the midst of forming a jazz fusion project with some people around town (my other drumming love is jazz, probably more than metal to be honest). Whenever I strip my kit down to a 4-piece with just a few cymbals and a single pedal (Iron Cobra 200, came with the Tamas), my playing feels simply better. I feel more free, more creative. My drum fills are more varied and dynamic, and my grooves are more tasteful. I know there is an explanation as to why - when you strip your kit down, it "forces" you to be more creative. But on the other hand, it's strange, how it just feels better and more flowing and natural.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I want to play for this metal band, of course, and I will utilize my full setup for those occasions. But for the prospective jazz outfit, I'm definitely stripping down. It only makes sense.

I'll attempt to play the double bass work that I used to, and it usually ends in frustration. Of course, I'm knocking four years of rust off, so it won't happen overnight. But it feels like my feet progress will be pretty difficult.

Sorry, not trying to hijack. I just want to hear if this ordeal has happened to you guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I think it's always great to change setups and styles. It provides a new persepctive. Just remember to not cut back on stuff for the sake of just cutting back on stuff. Cut back on the things you really don't need or use.
    right on

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    If you don't use it, I don't see why you should have it on the kit. I would take it off. It gives you a chance to work on single foot speed!
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    Interesting you started this thread. Here's why:

Long story short - I'm coming back from a 4-year hiatus of drumming. I have a 5-piece Tama Imperialstar with a pair of Speed Cobras, and 7 cymbals. I've been drumming for almost 20 years (including the hiatus... does that count?), and most of the time it's been playing metal of various types. Played in death metal bands and such, and of course, I was utilizing the double pedals regularly.

Now, while I'm in the process of learning a Nashville metal band's material for live shows, I'm working to get my double bass chops back. It's a lot of work. They seem to have deteriorated much more than my hand chops. Sustaining a bad ankle injury during the hiatus probably has something to do with it as well. But anyway, my feet work is pretty shady right now and it's tough getting it back.

On the other hand, I'm also in the midst of forming a jazz fusion project with some people around town (my other drumming love is jazz, probably more than metal to be honest). Whenever I strip my kit down to a 4-piece with just a few cymbals and a single pedal (Iron Cobra 200, came with the Tamas), my playing feels simply better. I feel more free, more creative. My drum fills are more varied and dynamic, and my grooves are more tasteful. I know there is an explanation as to why - when you strip your kit down, it "forces" you to be more creative. But on the other hand, it's strange, how it just feels better and more flowing and natural.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I want to play for this metal band, of course, and I will utilize my full setup for those occasions. But for the prospective jazz outfit, I'm definitely stripping down. It only makes sense.

I'll attempt to play the double bass work that I used to, and it usually ends in frustration. Of course, I'm knocking four years of rust off, so it won't happen overnight. But it feels like my feet progress will be pretty difficult.

Sorry, not trying to hijack. I just want to hear if this ordeal has happened to you guys.
    that's quite a contrast there Vhyle, nice!, I was never one of you guys that can shred on the double. It would be cool if I was better at it but you're right about it feeling more flowing and natural with the single.
    Last edited by slinky; 06-24-2015 at 09:07 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    that's quite a contrast there Vhyle, nice!, I was never one of you guys that can shred on the double. It would be cool if I was better at it but you're right about it feeling more flowing and natural with the single.
    Yeah man, I'm finding it really difficult to get my foot speed and dexterity back. I'm really starting to think that my ankle injury has something to do with it. I've lost some movement and flexibility in my injured ankle, and it still hurts most days. The injury was 3 years ago, mind you. It doesn't hurt when I'm actively playing, but I can tell there's a definite loss of motion compared to when I was in my better double kick days.

Oh well.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I don't think going from a 3-up/1-dn to a 1-up/1-dn forced me to be more creative. In fact, just the opposite.....it allowed me to simplify the way I think about playing. As a result, I feel more free and find myself just playing what I feel. It's like it removed the "bottleneck" of over-thinking and allows me to just let go and enjoy myself.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Kyle, I just listened to Seasons in Decimation. Bro! are you kidding me? You played all the instruments?

Man I really like what you're doing! kind of early solo Vinnie Vincent-ish which I like wayyy more than Dream T. Totally cool man. I might email you for a copy after payday if that's cool. nick
    Last edited by slinky; 06-25-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

A very good topic this. My mentor always says there is strength in simplicity.

I'm a bit biased, but having listened to enough metal, I think Jazz-Fusion in general is more creative music, and especially for drums since you don't have 20 layers of distorted guitar and vocals over top of you at volume level 11, all the nice little dynamics and bits you can do on drums can be heard.

Moving to a smaller kit of course can make you play more simply, and it can also make you play more creatively. I gig on a 4 piece, it's much easier for me to do fills on a 5. Runs from HT to LT don't sound as good, so you have to think of alternatives (or in my limited case, keep it simple).

RE DB, my personal mantra is, "Bohnam got it done with one..."

RE the weight of your set up, I personally would have the "HT" (is that a 14"? looks like it has a nice, deep sound!) and main crash on the same stand (saving you the weight of the heavy bottom), and use a clamp to hold the far right crash via the stand next to it (again, saving you a heavy bottom). It seems you have your stands numbered, so this would mean that the top of stand 1 would be connected to stand 2, and the top of stand 5 connected to stand 4. You have very robust stands, so unless you are worried drunk fans/band members are going to walk into your kit, they will hold up fine.

Will it look as good? Probably not. Who will notice? Nobody except drummers. Who will appreciate you take less equipment? You, and other drummers
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

You got rid of the cowbell? I like cowbell. It's not that big anyway.

User Info Menu

Slinky, are you using an 18" FT? I tried substituting my 13" rack with a 14" and couldn't get the tonal separation I wanted between the 14" and the 16".
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

As we age the less we can carry and set up the better. Also if you don't use it then why lug it around just for show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    A very good topic this. My mentor always says there is strength in simplicity.

I'm a bit biased, but having listened to enough metal, I think Jazz-Fusion in general is more creative music, and especially for drums since you don't have 20 layers of distorted guitar and vocals over top of you at volume level 11, all the nice little dynamics and bits you can do on drums can be heard.

Moving to a smaller kit of course can make you play more simply, and it can also make you play more creatively. I gig on a 4 piece, it's much easier for me to do fills on a 5. Runs from HT to LT don't sound as good, so you have to think of alternatives (or in my limited case, keep it simple).

RE DB, my personal mantra is, "Bohnam got it done with one..."

RE the weight of your set up, I personally would have the "HT" (is that a 14"? looks like it has a nice, deep sound!) and main crash on the same stand (saving you the weight of the heavy bottom), and use a clamp to hold the far right crash via the stand next to it (again, saving you a heavy bottom). It seems you have your stands numbered, so this would mean that the top of stand 1 would be connected to stand 2, and the top of stand 5 connected to stand 4. You have very robust stands, so unless you are worried drunk fans/band members are going to walk into your kit, they will hold up fine.

Will it look as good? Probably not. Who will notice? Nobody except drummers. Who will appreciate you take less equipment? You, and other drummers
    thanks jgz, you gave some things to think about

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    You got rid of the cowbell? I like cowbell. It's not that big anyway.
    we might still use it as a crowd pleaser but have someone come up that wants to play it during a song, audience participation

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Slinky, are you using an 18" FT? I tried substituting my 13" rack with a 14" and couldn't get the tonal separation I wanted between the 14" and the 16".
    I do have the 18. I don't know why the tom looks so big in pics. It's a 13" but deep. 13,16,18,24, 7x14 snare

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    As we age the less we can carry and set up the better. Also if you don't use it then why lug it around just for show.
    You're right Gilles, I just want a good performing set up that looks clean and easy to manage
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Kyle, I just listened to Seasons in Decimation. Bro! are you kidding me? You played all the instruments?

Man I really like what you're doing! kind of early solo Vinnie Vincent-ish which I like wayyy more than Dream T. Totally cool man. I might email you for a copy after payday if that's cool. nick
    Thank you for the kind words! To be fair - the drums are programmed, along with the other two albums. I didn't have a kit at the time of the recordings, so of course I resorted to programming. But, I don't program anything that is outside of my own playing limits, haha. But yes, I played all of the other instruments.

I'm working on the new album now, and it WILL have real drums for once. I just need to acquire some recording gear and do things the old-fashioned way!

You can download it digitally right from Bandcamp (which I assume you already know), but I don't have any physical copies made. I'd love to, but I can't really afford that right now.

Thanks again, brother
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Looking good, Slink. Love the set up.

User Info Menu

Nice tight set up slinky. When you need the "big guns", you got this to fall back on:

User Info Menu

Looks good and compact Slink
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    Thank you for the kind words! To be fair - the drums are programmed, along with the other two albums. I didn't have a kit at the time of the recordings, so of course I resorted to programming. But, I don't program anything that is outside of my own playing limits, haha. But yes, I played all of the other instruments.

I'm working on the new album now, and it WILL have real drums for once. I just need to acquire some recording gear and do things the old-fashioned way!

You can download it digitally right from Bandcamp (which I assume you already know), but I don't have any physical copies made. I'd love to, but I can't really afford that right now.

Thanks again, brother
    that's fine if you don't mind. Man you're a wicked guitar player, hope me mentioning VV wasn't insulting because I was meaning to say Yngwie Malmsteen not VV.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Looking good, Slink. Love the set up.
    thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice tight set up slinky. When you need the "big guns", you got this to fall back on:

hurts my back just looking at it thx Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Looks good and compact Slink
    thanks Conrad!
    Last edited by slinky; 06-25-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN