Thread: Biscayne set?

User Info Menu

Default Biscayne set?

Has anyone ever heard of Biscayne - Professional Drum Design out of Miami, FL ? I found a Power 1750 set at a local church rummage sale, bought it for my godson who wants to be a "rock star". I have not been able to find any info about it on the web - any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Hi thefraz, Welcome to drumchat!

Biscayne drums are a beginner set that originated around the Miami area. They are one of the mass produced sets that drum shops buy a large quantity of and put their own name on (like Percussion Plus, Venus, CB Percusion, etc... They usually sell for around $350 new and I see a few of them going for about $200 - $250 used. I have heard that they sound pretty good once the heads are replaced, but the cymbals that come with them sound like trash can lids. It is a good set for someone to learn on, but I would replace the cymbals as soon as possible. It should last him a couple of years. Long enough to determine if he really wants to be a drummer or not. At that time, he can upgrade to a better kit.

I hope that helped a little.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Is that the kind of line that Musicians Friend dubs "Pulse" and Sam Ash calls "Groove Percussion?"
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Yes. The drum sets are mass produced, then they are sold to the different companies that put their name on them and sell them as their "entry level" kits.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, I guess I got an ok deal on it then. I paid $50 for it with Sabian hihat & thin crash. You are right, the heads definitely will need to be upgraded if he gets serious about playing but its a good start for a 13 year old.