Thread: Chris Squire - Bassist for YES

User Info Menu

Default Chris Squire - Bassist for YES

Chris Squire - YES Bassist and co-founder, dead at 67 years old.

Very sad day.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Chris Squire - Bassist for YES

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Rest in peace Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Chris Squire - YES Bassist and co-founder, dead at 67 years old.

Very sad day.
    Died from leukemia.

Two of the greatest rock bassists (John Entwistle) of the last 50 years are no more.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

That's a drag!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Chris Squire was the only bass player I've heard that could actually make me stop listening to the drummer and pay attention to the bass playing instead. I've noticed that whenever I'm humming a Yes song, it's always the bass line that I hum! Bass players of the world and Rickenbacker guitars will forever be indebted to him. Goodbye, Chris Squire.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Man he went fast. RIP

He passed away just over a month after revealing that he was suffering from a rare form of leukemia. Squire was 67.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Another musician leaving us and joining the rest of guys up there for the biggest gig ever. RIP man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Another musician leaving us and joining the rest of guys up there for the biggest gig ever. RIP man
    Well put!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Fellow Drummers.................

Chris Squire was a huge influence on me and my musician-friends while learning and maturing in music.............a monster of a musician.
    I have lost count -- but out of the 14 or 15 times I have seen YES perform live, I always found myself watching Chris Squire............he simply commanded my attention even though there were 4 other very talented people on stage.

Chris Squire was a co-founder and consistent contributor to the sound of YES, as well as the only member to appear in every form of the band and on every album released.

I loved watching him play bass like no other, provide beautiful vocal segments and also the Taurus pedals shaking the rafters...........multi-talented and extremely competent at all of it.

He left his mark on the progressive rock movement of the 70s and will be greatly missed.

Here is a photo of the most famous YES line-up at rehearsal.

Here is YES during the RELAYER sessions, recorded at Chris Squire's home studio.............the three tunes on this album are amazing compositions.........I was missing Wakeman at this time but also was greatly impressed that Moraz could fill in well.............any drummer that thinks Alan White never measured up needs to listen to the opening minute of SOUND CHASER.

Rest in Peace..............

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

And I totally forgot..............so I'll add it here..............

In 1975, the members of YES all released a "solo album" which for some reason was the thing to do in those days..............

While all the YES fans were anticipating great works from Howe & Anderson.....................it was Chris Squire that actually came out with the best collection of solo work.

Wakeman's albums (he put out a number of "solo" works during '73 and the years afterward) may have done better in terms of sales, I don't remember..............and personally, I still really appreciate The Six Wives of Henry VIII..............very well done.

But it was Chris Squire that surprised the Yes fans with a great piece of work called FISH OUT OF WATER............still listen to it often.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Wow...lost another great one...RIP Chris

User Info Menu

I had to dig out my CD last night............FISH OUT OF WATER.

Some really, really good compositions on this disc............and the atmosphere in 1975 was very supportive of fusion and experiment.

SILENTLY FALLING..............great woodwind ensemble opener...........beautiful orchestration.............simple odd-meter but fitting part for Bruford and Pat Moraz on the Hammond............good stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian