Thread: Teachin' others to keep the beat goin'...

User Info Menu

Cool Teachin' others to keep the beat goin'...

I gotta pass this on to you: I'm postin' it here because it involves hand percussion, but it applies to any drummer...

You never know how who you could influence!

I had to reschedule my drum lesson to last night, and I came in just as the previous lesson was winding up...the preceding student was a six-year-old boy who is studying (yeah, you know the next two words) hand percussion.

Turns out the little guy is studying bongos because his parents (now split up) were into salsa dancing and he digs Latin music. (He also has an older sister who is studying piano.)

My drum teacher introduced him to me and told the little dude that I also studying hand drumming. So I played bongos. His reaction: "That was awesome." He asked me if I played the "big bongos" on display in the store (he was pointing to the congas).

"Tell ya what," I said, "let me get the congas set up and I'll show you." And I did. If I had to guess, he's gonna want to learn congas next...and after he left, I told my buddy: "Guess I'm gonna have to come in on Friday nights every so often."

"Yeah," he replied, "he'd love that!"

Maybe it's time to think about teaching hand drumming?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

BB, I think that would be awesome for you! I have always felt, no matter what the subject, that if you really wanted to be good at what you do, take the time to teach it to someone else. It will solidify your thinking about your subject, and if there is anything that you are not 100 percent sure about, it will make you look it up so that you are sure.

BTW, my daughter told me, the other day, that she hopes that one day I will teach my grandaughter to play drums and guitar. That would be awesome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I gotta pass this on to you: I'm postin' it here because it involves hand percussion, but it applies to any drummer...

You never know how who you could influence!

I had to reschedule my drum lesson to last night, and I came in just as the previous lesson was winding up...the preceding student was a six-year-old boy who is studying (yeah, you know the next two words) hand percussion.

Turns out the little guy is studying bongos because his parents (now split up) were into salsa dancing and he digs Latin music. (He also has an older sister who is studying piano.)

My drum teacher introduced him to me and told the little dude that I also studying hand drumming. So I played bongos. His reaction: "That was awesome." He asked me if I played the "big bongos" on display in the store (he was pointing to the congas).

"Tell ya what," I said, "let me get the congas set up and I'll show you." And I did. If I had to guess, he's gonna want to learn congas next...and after he left, I told my buddy: "Guess I'm gonna have to come in on Friday nights every so often."

"Yeah," he replied, "he'd love that!"

Maybe it's time to think about teaching hand drumming?
    Awesome BB! I only hope to one day be able teach or influence someone like that!

User Info Menu

Great story BB! It is a wonderful thing to influence a budding musician so young in life. As long as it stays fun for him, there is no telling what he will be capable of or where he will go. Who knows, you could be hand slamming with the next Pancho Sanchez!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

it must feel great to have someone look up to you. Awesome BB
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Teachin' others to keep the beat goin'...

HOLA Como estas BONGOBRO*(DRAGON) ARTISTIC CREATIVE ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) thats Fantastic show the LITTLE (CAT)(HOMBRE) all you Can mi amigo As it already is he Will NEVER EVER for get the BONGOBRO DRAGON *CAT
    who spent Time Within His PROFONDO PASION To (TEACH) Give GREAT (KNOWLEDGE ) to this LITTLE HOMBRE (CAT) I love it EXCELLENT ,But THEN ITS Mi amigo DRAGON BONGOBRO at his GREATEST PASSION MANOS TAMBORES & YOUR Great Compassion for HELPING other ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMERS ***GRACIAS *MIAMIGO
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 02-27-2008 at 12:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Teachin' others to keep the beat goin'...

did this ever work out for you?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Teachin' others to keep the beat goin'...

CC, I wish it had...the little dude stopped lessons for a while--scared my teacher and me both because we thought he as having serious health problems. Turns out he's doin' fine now, and is still studying hand drums, but he is now taking set lessons as well, and what with my work schedule at Wal-Mart, I haven't sat in with him since that first session...

Of course, I might still take my teacher up on the idea...it might be limited, but it's still worth a shot! Make that a rimshot!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Nice story B-Bro , you never know who / when you may influence someone .

My 8 yr old nephew will just sit with his eyes glued to us when we get together to play . Once when my son was playing my set , my nephew was just sitting and watching from my son's set so I walked up behind him and put a pair of sticks in his hands and had him keep a steady beat . Man did eyes light up .

User Info Menu

Bongo...Believe me, it's a RUSH when you can teach someone or have so positive an impact that another life has received the Gift. And you know what else, Bro...you are having that impact right here and right now!!

User Info Menu

Well done Bongo, if you have a gift , pass it around, it always comes back to you.!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Well done Bongo, if you have a gift , pass it around, it always comes back to you.!!
    I agree Bongo, pass it around.

User Info Menu

Hope you get more opportunities like that again Bro. You would definately be a fine instructor and mentor for the next generation.