Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My band is changing :/

User Info Menu

Default My band is changing :/

Hi, Bridie here,
    Just found out our band will probably break up soon. The vocalist and guitarist is moving away.
    To be really truthful, I would like to try playing some other stuff with other people, but I am worried I won't get a chance, and I don't find meeting people that easy, I am shy!!
    My brother said he would join up with me, he plays bass, if we could find someone to play guitar And/or sing,
    So I am feeling a bit down, we have gigs and festivals booked, that he will honor before he goes, I guess everyone feels like this sometimes?
    Just lost my mojo at the moment.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Default Re: My band is changing :/

Hey Bridie. I know that sucks. playing live is fun.. the only thing I could say is...

You will free up some time to study things you want to learn instead of having to learn cover songs you don't care for lol.. but it sounds like you guys were an original band and one thing you might want to consider and that's keeping the name and band songs and keep it going under that banner.

The reason being is the band that you are in is "Established" it has a following of fans that you have worked for. Club owners know you. And if you like the band name and songs why blow it up and start over.

Having "Established your Brand" is important and it just sucks rotten eggs to have to start from scratch. Find someone your age. A girl perhaps who plays and sings or 2 people and keep the ride going. Just change tires ya know.
    If you go two guitar line up it will mean less money but you will have a thicker sound and it will fill up a lot of holes that's why people do it. Not many sound good in a three piece band. You have to play full lush chords and same with solo's with drone strings or you will have to get use to hearing holes when a single guitarist takes a lead solo. If you have solos.

What I guess I'm trying to say is not many have the skills of an Alex Lifeson for example.
    Last edited by wired; 06-29-2015 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your band splitting up but you will have to face the truth that this happens all the time. Sometimes it is a good thing to have a change. Look at it as a positive move for you to connect with other musicians and you never know the next band might the one for you. Good luck don't give up someone out there would love to have you as their drummer.

User Info Menu

On the other hand if you and your brother wanna relocate to Texas and play Christian Pirate metal and make the devil walk the plank.. Then I'm your huckleberry!
    http://www.bandmix.com/leviathans-burning/
    And I'll quit all this trying to be a drummer nonsense!
    I use to have a band but I fired everybody now I'm the only one left..I just cut em all out! and ran em off! Get out here dang it! doing my Buddy Rich impression hehe.

User Info Menu

Bridie, from what i've seen in your videos and what you put on the forum i don't think you'll have any issues finding a new band, if your shy just let your drumming do the talking, you know you can play so you won't have anything to worry about.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

People move or things happen and leave the band. When I meet somebody that says they are a musician I get their telephone number and email address. If somebody quits the band then I contact people and set up auditions.

In my area craigslist.org is a good way to meet musicians.

From a musician business point of view I think it helps to have more than one band because if one band stops the remaining bands continue earning money.

Maybe is gets easier to talk to people the more you gig. I'm shy too but I talk to everybody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Bridie, from what i've seen in your videos and what you put on the forum i don't think you'll have any issues finding a new band, if your shy just let your drumming do the talking, you know you can play so you won't have anything to worry about.

cheers Mark
    I agree. Bridie, you are quite capable.

If 10 drummers apply for 1 drummer position then the best possible outcome is that 9 of 10 drummers do not get hired. But that does not mean that anything is wrong with them.

User Info Menu

Guitarist are a dime a dozen. Good drummers though are highly sought after. A band is only as good as their drummer. You won't have any problem at all finding another band.
    In fact that I'd bet they will be fighting each other over you to be honest. drummers are hard to find! And they know it. They can afford to be picky

The shyness though you can overcome that. It takes courage to talk to people you don't know just take baby steps, tell ya what try being a door to door sales person.. That's not fun at all!

User Info Menu

The ball is rolling. There's no stopping you now. You will find another band I'm sure or they'll find you.

all the best...

User Info Menu

A good analogy................

A band is like a bus.

When someone needs to get off the bus, someone else gets on.

And the bus keeps moving............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    A good analogy................

A band is like a bus.

When someone needs to get off the bus, someone else gets on.

And the bus keeps moving............
    i like that one, i'll use that in future.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Just another day in the life.

Keep your focus and you'll be fine, Bridie.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yes, Ricardo sums it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i like that one, i'll use that in future.
    That analogy is courtesy of Jon Anderson of YES.

While YES utilizes 5 people during performance, I think the most recent count is 18 people have played in that band since inception..............sadly, the only constant was Chris Squire.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yep, such is life in the band world. About the time you get things rolling, someone wants off. I think the hardest part of a band is not the playing, it's keeping a group of people together long enough to develop that "mojo".

It took us almost 2 years to get established and consistent. One gentleman passed away, 5 guitar players quit, I quit once myself, 4 or the 5 guitars rejoined....and quit again, we fired our bass player then 2 guitar players came back, LOL. I took over managing last year and we now have 2 extra guitar players (5 total) that know the songs and gig with us on occasion. This way, we always have backups/replacements ready to step in.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sorry about the band Bridie. You'll bounce back soon.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be too worried about being shy. It can actually be a positive when dealing with diva types. They're not going to be worried about you taking their shine. Like others have said, let your drumming speak for you. It's not like drummers are expected are expected to be the highly extroverted mouthpiece of the band. Best of luck.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    I don't find meeting people that easy, I am shy!!

So are most of the people here. That's why we hide behind the kit at the back of the stage.

User Info Menu

that's rough that two members are leaving at the same time. Tougher to replace

User Info Menu

It's a good opportunity for something new bridie. It sucks a little now, but it may just have been the turning point for something awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    It's a good opportunity for something new bridie. It sucks a little now, but it may just have been the turning point for something awesome.
    I agree with this bridie. You'll be fine
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thank you, all .

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Well we have a new lead guitarist, he is Jake and is pretty awesome at playing and...
    We might have a vocalist too, called Will.
    He tried out and did OK, but was nervous, I guess with more practise he will be OK. He has never sung out front before, he is a guitar player, so we hope he will be OK.
    We need easy vocals to get him confidence, I think Singing Trooper might be a big ask!
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    He tried out and did OK, but was nervous
    Ha you are so experienced that you see this stuff quickly.

Do you play any Guns n' Roses?

User Info Menu

We don't do, but the new guitarist is a massive slash fan. Hoping to maybe do some conspiritors covers..... Mind, not sure the new vocalist can match Myles Kennedy just yet.
    If this link works, it is the only time I covered G&R
    http://youtu.be/HLlWnhNgmLE
    Bridie