Thread: When you can't play drums, play percussion.

User Info Menu

Default When you can't play drums, play percussion.

I attend a local open blues jam on Tuesday nights. I play left-handed with the set also set up lefty. The drums are always set up righty and miced. For the two years I've been going, I've only played once. It's just too much of a hassle to switch the drums around.

For the last month I've been taking bongos and stand with me. The M.C. Is an excellent blues guitarist, and a bit of a purist. Though I get there early, and sign up first or second, I am usually ignored, unless I approach him and ask him if I can play.

My sense is that he feels blues and bongos don't mix. However, last week, by luck of the draw, the musicians I played with did a couple Allman Brothers tunes. Of course, the bongos fit right in. I was also given the opportunity to play a brief solo.

After our short set, the M.C. commented that the percussion added another dimension to the songs. This was a small victory for me, but a victory nevertheless. I only ask that in the future, I and my bongos will be more readily accepted.

User Info Menu

Default Re: When you can't play drums, play percussion.

Can't you just unplug the mic cable and move the hi hats and floor tom to the other side? and deal with the toms as they are?

One thing I've been checking out Garry Chester's new breed book and he has like 2 sets of hi hats on both sides same with the floor toms. and I'm guessing that he plays with an open hand approach.

But I do think it adds to a drummer's ability to be ambidextrous at the very least it would really strengthen the weak hand.
    But yeah don't pay me no mind because I'm the idiot that started "The overrated drummer thread" and made enemies out of most people on this forum. lol.

User Info Menu

My bongos and djembe got me through a few years of dorm and apartment life when I was not able to have the kit set up. You might want to pick up a cajon, they seem to blend well into most styles of music as well.

User Info Menu

I "co-host" an open mic. For my own "set", I sing and accompany myself on bass. I slop up "Boris the Spider" all the time, but everyone wants to hear it. Go figure. I also bring a cajon to accompany anyone who wants some percussion. I left it home this past Tuesday, which upset a few people. I have brought my Yamaha DD-65 once and a LP Compact Conga a couple of other times. I have a plan to have a permanent set-up with a cajon, pedal, hi-hat, and crash-ride cymbal. We need to get a door that locks better first.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.