Thread: bongobro goes bonkers over bells!

User Info Menu

Cool bongobro goes bonkers over bells!

Now that I got your attention, I had a remarkable experience this morning at a church service (a pro-life service and march).

A youth handbell group from a Catholic school in Springfield, IL provided the music--and for a guy who digs hand drumming, I was astonished with their performance on handbells. (And technically, they ARE percussion instruments!)

Having said that, it was the first time I saw a handbell choir up close; apparently the clappers are fixed (which accounts for much of the hand action you see to get the bell sound); there were 11 students and each had two or three bells each; two of the guys also played xylophones and hand chimes...very impressive sound...

Our choir director would love to start a handbell choir of their own, but I understand they're pretty expensive...any of you familiar with handbells?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

BB, there are all sorts of different handbells. From childrens bells to very expensive adult handbells. The sound that they make can be absolutely awesome! I'd love to have handbells in our church!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Handbells can be awesome, my particular oppinion is that they should be reseved for special services, and used sparingly. I was at a church that had a hand bell choir years ago, and hearing them all the time got pretty annoying to my ears. When I play organ at church I don't over do the chimes, for the same reason, a little bit goes a long way. Great effect but it can be overused.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

At first I thought you guys were talking about antique cymbals (also called finger cymbals) I've never heard a hand bell choir, I bet it's awesome!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool bongobro goes bonkers over bells!

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Handbells can be awesome, my particular oppinion is that they should be reseved for special services, and used sparingly. I was at a church that had a hand bell choir years ago, and hearing them all the time got pretty annoying to my ears. When I play organ at church I don't over do the chimes, for the same reason, a little bit goes a long way. Great effect but it can be overused.
    Actually, CD, this was the first time we have ever had a handbell choir in the church; I agree with you on the dangers of overuse!

And Kryshah, I have had experience with finger cymbals...except mine was one for the "most embarrassing" thread! At a rehearsal for our Christmas concert last year, I was using finger cymbals for accents on one song--and one of the cymbals slipped out of its tie, so instead of "ping," it was "clatter, clatter, clang!"
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck