Thread: Bad Habits

User Info Menu

Default Bad Habits

What bad habits drummers should stay away. for eg a bad habit of mine is trying to do too many things at once or not doing practice routine everyday and then I will beat myself up the next day for wasting the time.

So what bad habits you think drummers should stay away from?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bad Habits

One of mine I know of for sure is that I have an extremely hard time staying on any one thing for longer that a minute or so. Like you there is just to many things I want to do. I'll be fine if I'm sitting at my practice pad...but at the set its like I just black out and lose control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post

Smoking, drinking, carousing... LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Gambling

all the best...

User Info Menu

What bad habits drummers should stay away. for eg a bad habit of mine is trying to do too many things at once or not doing practice routine everyday and then I will beat myself up the next day for wasting the time.

I don't beat myself up too much over things. In the end, it's only drumming. I'm not curing cancer, or saving the world.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarsh View Post
    One of mine I know of for sure is that I have an extremely hard time staying on any one thing for longer that a minute or so. Like you there is just to many things I want to do. I'll be fine if I'm sitting at my practice pad...but at the set its like I just black out and lose control.
    Exactly one minute i will be doing reggae then the next second its soca and then next its a warm up exercise lol i need to FOCUS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I don't beat myself up too much over things. In the end, it's only drumming. I'm not curing cancer, or saving the world.

all the best...
    Yea I dont want to kill the joy that it brings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Smoking, drinking, carousing... LOL!
    definitely no smoking. have to make sure i can breathe properly while playing lol

User Info Menu

I was just kidding as usual.

As far as bad habits are concerned, playing on tempo as opposed to speeding up and slowing down. Also, stick heights are important. I learned this early on when I was still taking lessons. Drummers don't think they are speeding up or slowing down until you start practicing with a metronome. I thought I had really good timing... until my teacher had me practice with a metronome. It didn't lie.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I have to take breaks. I messed up both wrists about 3 years ago, maybe from playing too hard with no breaks.

User Info Menu

I think one of the biggest "bad habits" a Drummer can develop is refusing to listen to and tryout different different styles of music that they are not used to playing.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I have to take breaks. I messed up both wrists about 3 years ago, maybe from playing too hard with no breaks.
    As soon as my wrist hurt i stop playing and shake it out. how are your wrists now?

User Info Menu

Chewing gum while talking to people.... NEVER do it.. i kick people out of my store for it.. parents should be slapped for not teaching their kids better.

As far as drumming.. no idea.. whatever i'm doing thats making both of my wrists feel like razors are in them the next day (playing too hard for too long.. i think i'm playing harder to hear myself better through the headphones, which arn't miced to the drums or anything)

User Info Menu

wear ear protection! I started to after 25 years...nothing worse than tinnitus/hearing loss due to drumming.

User Info Menu

Don't ever learn a new beat and decide you want to go faster and faster. Stop playing completely then retry it faster. Never just build speed as it builds the tendency to rush

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    wear ear protection! I started to after 25 years...nothing worse than tinnitus/hearing loss due to drumming.
    Amen! Fellow hearing-loss brother here. It could have all been prevented if I'd been smarter.

User Info Menu

Each of us has things to work on.

My own personal bad drumming habits?

-I wish I had developed better posture and let my own body dictate where I positioned things rather than try and mimic other players, or even those I was taking lessons from.

-I aim to keep my playing more steady, rather than worry about complex fills.

-I wish I bought more things used, and paid less attention to shiny advertisements.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I sometimes rotate my wrist too much when playing the ride. So I end up doing an upside down french grip. Pretty weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike