Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Cover Bands Be Concerned?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Should Cover Bands Be Concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. I play in an all-original band and we rarely, if ever play a cover. We play out 2-3x a month and after 3 years of continuous gigging, we get people to our shows. Not to say, it takes a lot of self-promotion and hard work to get our gigs, but luckily for us, we have a member of the band who is Type A and works her butt off.

I think there is a place for cover bands (weddings, some bars) but in my honest opinion, it's just not as difficult to do covers. There's too many bands out there playing covers and I for one, appreciate original music. There are a lot of us out there who do it for fun (obviously the money isn't as good), for the love of playing and making albums. No big theater/venue out here in CO is going to have a cover band play there. It's all original bands. I only see cover bands in crappy dive bars.
    Although this thread wasn't started to be a debate on cover vs original bands. I do, however, feel the need to respond to this. I've been in both original and cover bands. To say that being in one is harder than being in another is just an erroneous statement. Sort of lends itself to the validation that musicians that do originals are a bit uppity. I will concede that it is much harder, at least around here, to get gigs as an original band. Other than that, I'd say the argument as to which is harder/better/whatever is a tough one to justify and really should be debated on another thread.

User Info Menu

One way you could get around this I guess if you are gonna play covers. why not do obscure covers that the people who regulate may not recognize that you are playing covers. Say something like Pink Floyd's "See Emily Play".

Again don't mean to offend. But personally I'm thru with coverbands. I think people should be bold and stake your own claim even if people don't want to hear your crappy originals.

Playing covers is like painting by numbers. But it can enhance one's skills by learning great songs assuming that you learn the parts right and you chart the songs and all the different fills and signature licks. and not just put your own crap off in them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Think of all the income that is lost from illegal downloads. Guess their trying to get their money back. Think what would happen if their were no cover bands. It would be a big boost for original music bands. There will tons of them again!

That's not such a bad thing. Again the cream will rise to the top.
    Could be true. How many Beatle songs did the Kinks cover, or the Who covered?
    Did the Stones get popular playing Kink's covers?

...and garage bands would remain garage bands doing covers for fun, just like string quartets made up of professors taking time off to pursue their hobby.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

From a guitarist perspective. Learning covers is how any professional should learn. Let's face it..It's boring learning from a book. It works and theory is learned from books and teachers and it is a great help. But it's way more fun learning your favorite cover songs.

And yeah when you learn covers,chord progressions,different rhythms you are actually learning compositions I mean how to compose and you will borrow from these cover songs in some way for your own songs. No way would a guy like Hendrix would of been who he became if he hadn't paid his dues on the chitlin circuit all those years.

That said I've have had my fill of crappy tribute bands. Hey has anybody seen where I put my Axl Rose wig at?!?
    Last edited by wired; 07-02-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

One way you could get around this I guess if you are gonna play covers. why not do obscure covers that the people who regulate may not recognize that you are playing covers. Say something like Pink Floyd's "See Emily Play".

Again don't mean to offend. But personally I'm thru with coverbands. I think people should be bold and stake your own claim even if people don't want to hear your crappy originals.

Playing covers is like painting by numbers. But it can enhance one's skills by learning great songs assuming that you learn the parts right and you chart the songs and all the different fills and signature licks. and not just put your own crap off in them.
    The problem with original bands, at least around here, is that most of the venues don't want to hire them because nobody comes out to see them. Fans of original bands are a unique group. In this area, a limited number of venues bring in original bands. People know which venues those are and that's where they go. It's a limited market. Not saying it's better or worse, just is what it is. I have no trouble booking my cover bands. Very hard work consistently getting gigs for original band.

User Info Menu

Personally I play covers because I like them, I would much rather play a song I really enjoy then play some crappy song just so I can " Stake my own claim". Some of us are happy where we are and not trying to validate ourselves by sludging along to crappy tunes.

Not trying to argue but It is interesting how in one sentence you say to make a claim and play your own stuff unless your playing a cover than you should do it with charts and notes and do not add your own crap?? whats the deal there? I think adding a twist here and there to a cover keeps it fresh no?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Although this thread wasn't started to be a debate on cover vs original bands. I do, however, feel the need to respond to this. I've been in both original and cover bands. To say that being in one is harder than being in another is just an erroneous statement. Sort of lends itself to the validation that musicians that do originals are a bit uppity. I will concede that it is much harder, at least around here, to get gigs as an original band. Other than that, I'd say the argument as to which is harder/better/whatever is a tough one to justify and really should be debated on another thread.
    When I said harder/more difficult, I meant it by saying it's much more difficult to book gigs as an original band,which means you have to be pretty dedicated. I'm not saying playing covers doesn't require dedication, but truth be told, it takes a lot more effort to play in an original band. Writing, practicing, gigging, getting a fan base, recording an album...that takes a lot more. And whether or not it's seen as uppity is up for discussion. It was brought up that you can't get gigs or nobody wants to hear your music if you're an original band - which is why this is being spoken about on this thread. And, I disagreed with that statement. That is all...

So, when you have to pay BMI to play your Jesse's Girl or Mustang Sally covers, be prepared.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Personally I play covers because I like them, I would much rather play a song I really enjoy then play some crappy song just so I can " Stake my own claim". Some of us are happy where we are and not trying to validate ourselves by sludging along to crappy tunes.
    Why do you think all original music is crappy? That's a pretty outrageous statement to make.

User Info Menu

You are totally right.. I can't tell you how many times I've seen original bands and the only people into the music are their wives and what few friends they managed to drag to the club. People ain't dancing. Women are leaving..and the men go where the ladies go you know.
    But in time if this becomes the law of the land. The landscape would change and I personally don't see that as a bad thing. It will be hard at first but people would adjust over time and embrace original music.

I'm currently talking to this girl singer and she has a powerful voice. And she does originals and she's plays guitar too. But her problem is all she is doing are the slow serious tunes. and I'm like where's the rocking songs in your set? You can't just keep beating people over the head with all these slow songs. But I'm trying to break it to her easy ya know. lol. We musicians are sooo thin skin..
    Last edited by wired; 07-02-2015 at 09:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Not trying to argue but It is interesting how in one sentence you say to make a claim and play your own stuff unless your playing a cover than you should do it with charts and notes and do not add your own crap?? whats the deal there? I think adding a twist here and there to a cover keeps it fresh no?
    I think you are trying to argue.. personally and yeah my songs don't suck..at least from what I've been told. No I'm saying learn from the covers first as you are learning the trade but then graduate from that.. My dad spent his whole career playing covers and doesn't understand why I'm sick of playing them. The great bands at some point in time got off the coverband trip and started writing their own songs. They had to. They knew if they were ever going to break thru it wouldn't be off the stolen glory of somebody's else's greatness. I'm talking the Beatles,The stones. The who. the Eyeballs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Why do you think all original music is crappy? That's a pretty outrageous statement to make.
    LOL, WOW I never said ALL original music is crappy but I understand where your at in this debate now and why your going there. I will say however if I made original music it would be crap?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I would LOVE to do original stuff. The problem around here is exactly what inthpktplayer stated. People (around here) what to hear the same stuff they know.....crappy as it may be. We do covers, but no other band around here does the mix of stuff we do........Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, John Prine, Supertramp, Stones, Jerry Jeff Walker, etc.. Even at that, we STILL get bar owners complaining that we "play old stuff no one knows". We promote ourselves as being a fresh alternative to the average "same song, different band" show, but even that makes it tough. To try to do all or mostly originals would never fly. We just don't have the culture around here that would appreciate it. Our choice is A) play obscure stuff we like, play it our style with an occasional familiar song to keep the crowd, or B) play to our family and dogs in our basement, or C) play the same classic rock/top 40 stuff like the other bands. We chose option A.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think you are trying to argue..

I am not trying to argue and I have never heard your music one way or the other so I cannot and would not comment on that. I was just curious and was asking because you seemed to contradict yourself in your own statement. It was just a question bud no need to get up in arms.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

When you learn songs the way they go note for note.. you are learning new ideals new patterns.. But when you put your own crap into a song unless it's really strong then you are regurgitating your own ideals and not progressing from what I found.
    We only have so big a vocabulary of licks and by learning stuff note for note..yeah you can take liberty's here and there but the signature licks still have to be there.

But that's how you learn new chords,New beats,new fills ect..

User Info Menu

I am not trying to argue and I have never heard your music one way or the other so I cannot and would not comment on that. I was just curious and was asking because you seemed to contradict yourself in your own statement. It was just a question bud no need to get up in arms.
    I was just getting irritated.. I'm sorry I just got back from taking my autistic daughter to the hospital,infected toe nail..long day..and some jerk wants to tell me originals sucks lol

User Info Menu

LOL, WOW I never said ALL original music is crappy but I understand where your at in this debate now and why your going there. I will say however if I made original music it would be crap?
    Ok...glad you clarified because that's how I read it. I enjoy a good debate from time to time

User Info Menu

You are totally right.. I can't tell you how many times I've seen original bands and the only people into the music are their wives and what few friends they managed to drag to the club. People ain't dancing. Women are leaving..and the men go where the ladies go you know.
    But it time if this becomes the law of the land. The landscape would change and I personally don't see that as a bad thing. It will be at first but people would adjust over time and embrace original music.
    That is such a ridiculous statement! I don't know where you live, but if you're putting out a good product, people will come. The music scene here in Denver is amazing! Original music...

User Info Menu

I think one solution would be to slowly build up a crowd and to play for the door and not place the burden of the club owner to have to pay the band a hundred per man or 50.00 bucks per man.. but no just know you are doing it for the love of it..It's a pain I know.'

Also maybe go in with some other bands and rent a venue and have dances.. I've played classic country and it was a real pleasure watching the couples waltz across the floor.. it's like their gliding..way cool.

User Info Menu

Yeah some places it is like that..Others places you get these hecklers. And they sure as heck don't want to hear your originals. or old classic songs.. they want their top 40 so I'm like giddy about BMI enforcement to be honest..

Now give me back my AXL ROSE WIG NOW!!! I got a show to do!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I think the band that wrote the song absolutely cares...they receive royalties from BMI, etc. for these covers.
    I hear ya Mark, but the article pointed out that it's really not that big of a deal to some bands, but I see your point

To be honest I think in a way this is a good thing..because there is just way way too many crappy cover/tribute bands out there.. The cream will always rise to the top. I think composition of good original songs is indeed a lost art.

If it changes the musical landscape then I'm down for that. The yuppies will just have to get over it. No Bruce Springsteen ,Chilli Peppers wannabes at the sportsbar.
    Yeah it is greedy. But I'm a member of BMI.But I don't think their gonna give me a cut.
    Wired makes a good point here. If it's a "tribute band" that's making thousands a night in a casino gig or where ever (and they are), then that's a different story. Some of these tributes are quite good at copying to a T what the originals have done.

I could see that being a little more libelous
    Last edited by slinky; 07-02-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I like DJ's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm only piping up because I see something so far that no one has said.

In my given geographical location, cover bands and live music venues are thriving rather well.

Most bars I played in for the past 10 years are still in business and having live music every weekend. We aren't seeing the holocaust that must be apparent in other areas of the US but here, things are as expected.

I don't believe the original music has been as popular or in demand like playing a cover for the crowd. They still want to hear all the "classics" that everyone used to and still does play. Ho-hum I say but that's what brings in the buying public.

So be it.
    This has been my experience as well, in my neck of the woods anyways ...

Years ago, I played original music but we generally had to tour in order to make money at it ... go figure.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-02-2015 at 05:26 PM.

User Info Menu

So what happens when a guy brings his acoustic guitar to a fire pit party, oh that's OK? Oh, we paid him $50 to bring his acoustic to the party, now we have a problem?

This is so ridiculous, corporate greed and control over the people through the misuse of the law.

I guess I will have to change the lyrics to that deep purple tune, "slowwwww walkin Walter, the fire engine guy."
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    So what happens when a guy brings his acoustic guitar to a fire pit party, oh that's OK? Oh, we paid him $50 to bring his acoustic to the party, now we have a problem?

This is so ridiculous, corporate greed and control over the people through the misuse of the law.

I guess I will have to change the lyrics to that deep purple tune, "slowwwww walkin Walter, the fire engine guy."
    That's hilarious, Corporate greed and control over people yes indeed. but a misuse of the law..umm not exactly. this is an old law that has been around for decades. This isn't some new thing that they just came up with. It's always been that way as far as I can tell club owners have been ignoring the law.
    But you know it may be possible for coverbands to get a license from BMI and Ascap to perform the covers you would like to perform but I'm not sure I've not looked into it.

That is such a ridiculous statement! I don't know where you live, but if you're putting out a good product, people will come. The music scene here in Denver is amazing! Original music...
    I wish it was that way here in Dallas. The Original music scene here is kind of dead. and we have more than our fair share of lame acts I guess. I do feel that original bands have to build up their fan base. But yeah often times a band will play somewhere and nobody knows them and are just not into what their selling. But some bands the good ones do well.

User Info Menu

All the bickering is fun, but if you want to make money playing live shows you have to get the ladies to dance, get the guys to buy them drinks, and make the owner or manager of the venue MONEY! If you can do that with originals or covers just do it!