Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help W/ Auditions

User Info Menu

Well if off beats are going to trick you up, dont worry about it, but try diddles, accents, flams, and my suggestion wo9uld be not to buzz roll for 4 measures, double stroke is the marching roll, not buzz, so use that

User Info Menu

hmmm ok,it's because my buzz roll is way better than my open roll.i'll try it but id rather not,ill just try some diddled 16th's n stuff.i got a few flams maybe i need more,im not worried about accents i got a lot.i need some help making it musical,beacause it has rudiments but it has no patter/rythym what soever.

User Info Menu

Don't just go super complex though... show that you're good with dynamics... sometimes with drums, it's more important to remember, that less is more.... compare jazz drummers to metal drummers, and you'll see what I mean.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool Help w/Auditions...

'Hawk, I concur with krys on this one...while it's good to show your proficiency with various rudiments and rolls, it's also important to show your skill with dynamics...better you underplay and they tell ya to add more than to go over the top and have to throttle it back...

good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhawkDrummer View Post
    hmmm ok,it's because my buzz roll is way better than my open roll.i'll try it but id rather not,ill just try some diddled 16th's n stuff.i got a few flams maybe i need more,im not worried about accents i got a lot.i need some help making it musical,beacause it has rudiments but it has no patter/rythym what soever.

Work on that roll kid, i know a person who can do things like diddles, flams, faster stuff better than most of our snares, (second to me of course =P), but he cant open roll, thus, hes not on snare,

Get the open roll, if you can diddle fast, you can open roll, take it into a pillow, RR LL RR LL, get as fast as you can, when you get on a drum, youll realise you dont use much wrist, but being able to do it all wrist at a high tempo builds chops immensly

And yea, dont just cake on the rudiments, make it sound nice, you cant just pile a bunch of hightech stuff together, and say, looks its a computer, you have to build it

User Info Menu

can u give me like a sample as to what i should do,i understand having rudimnets but i cant seem to compose something musical.

User Info Menu

Cool Help W/Auditions

You might try going to a music store that sells percussion books (the kind that drum students use) and practicing something from one of those books. That is, look for an exercise that contains many of the things you want to incorporate in your audition. I don't know how much time you have between now and the audition, 'Hawk, but get that book pronto... Check the DrumBum site, too, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

If you didnt have to write your solo, id say pick one of the 14 solos in john S pratts book, if you can throw any of those down clean, your gold

User Info Menu

yea i dont have to compose it on my own,just play something to show my experience w/ music.our audition is next thursday,i just came back from a clinic we had @ school and the instructor told me im doing good.BUT,i need a nice little solo to show him im really good.cheezz do u know where i can find that book?

User Info Menu

a lot of music stores will stock it, i dont own one, i jsut have photocopies of some of the solos my mentor gives me, if you do get it, and you only have this much time id suggest throwing down hodge podge, its pretty simple, and it contains these rudiments

Five Stroke
    Seven Stroke
    Nine Stroke
    Ten Stroke (its not 10 strokes, youll see if you read it)
    Thirteen Stroke
    (^^all rolls)
    Flam
    Lesson 25
    Single Diddle
    Double Diddle
    Single ratamacue
    Single stroke 7 * *= compound rudiment
    Ruff single paradiddle *
    and the flamamacue

User Info Menu

i think i could play that,except the flamacue,BUT maybe i should go to a music store near here that way ican also pick up some new ms4's. hahaha you think i'll be able to play them?

User Info Menu

Ms4's?

What are those?

User Info Menu

it's a drumstick i use strictly for practice on a pillow.they are way heavier than average sticks so they build chops faster.they range from $20 to $30.vic firth makes em and they have a tom float type tip.

User Info Menu

Ah, i just taped up my heaviest set of hardimons, just the neck so i work on the chops, then i find a lighter pair for the shows

User Info Menu

yea,hardimons i have for shows as well.but i use ms4's for practice.u will not regret it if u buy them,u can use them on drums too they sound real deep n "meaty" but no marcato notes or u can crack the kevlar heads.

User Info Menu

crack a kevlar head? 0.o i dont think thats possible

Ive heard of collapsing the shell, and tearing out the flesh ring, but not cracking the head

User Info Menu

i meant to say mylar,my bad bro I remembered it was a stock head my friend cracked.
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

ah, i see, mylars the clear heads right?

(i havnt seen aynthing other than kevlar heads, thats all i know because thats all ive used, ive seen the clear heads before though)

User Info Menu

yea the clear heads,i bought 2 books today one that I found a fairly easy yet rythmic(spellcheck) solo inside.I think ima play the solo and we'll see how things go.The book is Alfred's Rudimental Solos For Intermediate Snare Drummers,Good Or Bad Book?
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

i dunno, i use alfreds drum methods to help me read, and it works pretty good, the solos in it are bad though, but their jsut sousa marches for an entire band to play, that book is dedicated to solos, so i imagine itd be better

User Info Menu

thanks bro,today my BD told me im actually good.he thought I sucked and like most bands threw me on bass for my freshman year.I don't get it why do frosh get put on bass?Most newbs cant handle it,im sure the top bass and I(at times) couldnt handle the 16th splits.thats the reason bass lines suck in most bands.pure newbies.but anyways yea my BD told me that im doing good(we had a little "clinic" last week and they just had us playing warmups....8's.Flams.16th notes. Open rolls.etc)and he said that he likes that i can actually play snare,he just told me"now if u would be able to play like u do and march @ the same time u have a shot".so now my major problem is marching.i have great technique.the problem is i tend to get off step.I have been practicing marching and clapping the upbeats and it seems to be helping,but is there anything else i can do to improve my marching?
    Last edited by SkyhawkDrummer; 11-27-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

yes, get a metronome, sit there, and play with one hand, for liek 15 mintues strait, on the beat, then the other

Lather rinse repeat, i sat there and watched TV for 4 hours doing this to work on my timing, i would start turning off the nome, contiune timing, resting a few times, then turn it back on to see if i was on time

User Info Menu

sorry if you misinterpreted what i wrote,i meant marching like with the feet.
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

well, howeever you guys mark time, sit their with a metronome and mark it, like this year we did heels up, next year were gonna go to highstep, except drums, were doing heels up, and do that, walk back and forth, 22 1/2 inches is the step size, 8 steps per 5 yards

User Info Menu

so today was my audition.
    I was so nervous.I played my solo and when i got about halfway through i froze @ the paradiddledidles because i lost my rhythm.i tried to keep going and i froze again.BUT i found my spot again and kept playing through it,for some ODD reason my right eye started tearing when i was about 3/4 of the way through.i kept going through and could hardly read the sheet music but i had it memorized so i played it well.My BD cut me off rite when i was going to the ending(bestpart w/ most "X").i asked if it was too long,he said it was but my drum instructor said it was a good piece.next the sight reading,i played it well my BD commented me on my dynamic control.after that i sightread on tenors,idk how well i did my BD just wanted to c which drum would best fit me.after that we were tested on marching,i messed up a few times but overall i thought it was good.I had multiple pit players telling me i did great and my drum captain said i did good.hopefully my BD and DI think the same and i get my spot.wish me luck.THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE.
    Got Chops?