Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Shoe Product Review (dB Drumshoes)

User Info Menu

Default Drum Shoe Product Review (dB Drumshoes)

Hey everyone.

Back in January of 2014, I purchased a pair of these shoes not really knowing what to expect. After about two weeks of adjusting to them, they've been one of the best purchases I've made in terms of drum stuff. Really dig 'em. If anyone has considered trying drum shoes in the past but wasn't sure if it'd be worth it, I can at least tell you from personal experience that they've made playing more enjoyable for me. You forget that you're even wearing them, which is a sign of a good product to me. Just my two cents.

I used to go back and forth between playing in socks and my tennis shoes...I enjoyed aspects of both but disliked aspects of both as well. These shoes (and I'm sure other brands of drumming shoes) help to rid of the negative aspects and bring the good aspects of socks and shoes together, so to speak.

Hope the review is helpful to those interested! Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjfb97f3iU

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Shoe Product Review (dB Drumshoes)

Call me crazy but I'm EXTREMELY picking about my drum shoes. I have to wear a super light weight almost track shoe. I don't like barefoot but I want the same light feeling. Those shoes look like my Puma drum shoes.

User Info Menu

I wear tennis shoes or black shoes with rubber souls. They feel great!

User Info Menu

Hello from the SSO forum! Cool to see you're over here too.

I haven't tried any drum shoes yet, but I really want to. I don't know hardly anything about them.

But what about those toe shoes that are pretty popular now? My buddy Lucas (ex-Animality) wore them all the time when he played, and he swears by them. And he's a double-bass machine gun. I've yet to try those either.

I usually wear my Converse shoes or sneakers, but I'm thinking an investment in a good drumming should would be wise.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I found a pair of in-door soccer shoes work well. Soles are almost smooth and very light weight. It's weird but they don't do well on Speed Kings, great on Speed cobras, etc.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Drum Shoes are kind of like Carrot Forks. If you get my drift.

User Info Menu

Steel cap boots. ☺

User Info Menu

What next? Beer drinking shoes!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Drumming is a physical activity, so it makes sense that drummers consider those things that help them play: gloves, sweatbands, hats, fans, thrones, hydration, shoes, sun glasses, etc.
    Just seems funny that sometimes these things appear on a forum!
    Now the COLOR of shoes and sweatbands, should they match each other or the drums? That would be an odd subject!
    Last edited by slinglander; 07-08-2015 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Added comments
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

The power of marketing. Hats off to him. Dude could probably sell ice to an eskimo. Hmmmm...........drumming socks.................Those can be musically versatile.........

User Info Menu

running shoes with rubber soles.

User Info Menu

Purdie says leather sole shoes are the best.slippery i...guess?

User Info Menu

I wear Puma Driftcats because they're lightweight and very flat on the bottom. They also leave my ankle free. Perfect shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My dad was a shoe maker . When we were growing up he never let us wear tennis shoes . Then we had to wear them in gym class and he was ok with that . All my life I have always worn a leather shoe . Many times at the gigs I wear boots . When I had the day job sometimes I had just enough time after work to make it to the gig...so I would play in my steel toed work boots . Never really had a problem . Never felt like I needed a special shoe to play drums . Some people do tho and that's cool .
    When we were kids growing up some of the wrestlers who were popular in the 70s would come to our house and get fitted for custom boots that my dad made for them . Some of the big time soccer and ball players from Mexico would have my dad make their shoes for them too . Our house was always popular with the kids and neighbors .. LOL .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I incorporate a lot of foot percussion in my act. I got tired of my instruments getting covered with dirt, mud, water, snow, wet grass clippings, and whatever else I have to walk through, bringing my equipment into a venue. I finally bought a pair of light-soled sneakers that I keep with my equipment and I only wear them for gigs, after I have all my stuff on stage.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 01-25-2016 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    I incorporate a lot of foot percussion in my act. I got tired of my instruments getting covered with dirt, mud, water, snow, wet grass clippings, and whatever else I have to walk through, bringing my equipment into a venue. I finally bought a pair of light-soled sneakers that I keep with my equipment and I only wear them for gigs, after I have all my stuff on stage.
    Finally a reason I can accept. I've always balked the idea that certain foot wear is required to play drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I wear Puma Driftcats because they're lightweight and very flat on the bottom. They also leave my ankle free. Perfect shoes.
    That's also why I wear Puma's

When you play an all nighter and do a lot of footwork everything helps. Heavy shoes feel like wearing weights by the end of the night. My Puma's are super comfortable, let my feet breathe, have very little weight and are flat to the pedal board. I love them.

Could I drum without them of course. Do I want to? No. I prefer to wear them. Just like anything else sometime superstition can come into play and that is part of my drumming attire.

I think a big factor though is also type of music. If I were playing with my dad's Polka band my choice of shoe would be of no concern. But with a heavy rock/metal band with extreme needs then yes it matters.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 01-25-2016 at 08:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Call me crazy but I'm EXTREMELY picking about my drum shoes. I have to wear a super light weight almost track shoe. I don't like barefoot but I want the same light feeling. Those shoes look like my Puma drum shoes.
    Are your PUMA shoes like these in the photo below ?

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Are your PUMA shoes like these in the photo below ?

hahahahaha thank goodness no!

Here are my newest ones

User Info Menu

If I were playing with my dad's Polka band my choice of shoe would be of no concern. But with a heavy rock/metal band with extreme needs then yes it matters.
    I think it's cool that you play heavy metal and polkas. I also really appreciated it, a while back, when you mentioned that when your Dad asks you to fill in on drums with his band, it's a request you cannot turn down.
    Believe it or not, I used to review new polka releases for The Polka News, back in the mid-90's. During my brief but stellar career as an enthnic music journalist. Have you ever played at the Wisconsin Dells Festivals.. I understand those are popular events out your way ?

User Info Menu

I usually go with wooden clogs. They match my grass skirt the best.

Tex

User Info Menu

I think it's cool that you play heavy metal and polkas. I also really appreciated it, a while back, when you mentioned that when your Dad asks you to fill in on drums with his band, it's a request you cannot turn down.
    Believe it or not, I used to review new polka releases for The Polka News, back in the mid-90's. During my brief but stellar career as an enthnic music journalist. Have you ever played at the Wisconsin Dells Festivals.. I understand those are popular events out your way ?
    That's awesome and yes I've definitely been to a lot of Polka fests in WI. The dells included. Milwaukee has a big one and Cheese Days in Monroe is a lot of fun too.

Did you ever hear of Stateline Playboys or Zweifel Brothers?

User Info Menu

Did you ever hear of Stateline Playboys or Zweifel Brothers?
    Can't say I have until now. Are those your family bands ? Is it Cleveland/Slovenian style polka ? I am more familiar with Polish-American polka styles, being of Polish heritage myself, and that's the dominant polka music where I live in the Northeast. But I know Slovenian, Czech and Dutchmen styles are really big, as you move out toward the Mid-west. And of course I am familiar with Steve Meisner... and his father Verne was a kick-*** accordion player too. Somewhere, I have some cassettes by "Barefoot Becky and The Ivanhoe Dutchmen", from Iowa. I recall really liking her polka-ization of country songs. She plays barefoot .. so I have steered this thread back to its topic, sort of.

User Info Menu

Can't say I have until now. Are those your family bands ? Is it Cleveland/Slovenian style polka ? I am more familiar with Polish-American polka styles, being of Polish heritage myself, and that's the dominant polka music where I live in the Northeast. But I know Slovenian, Czech and Dutchmen styles are really big, as you move out toward the Mid-west. And of course I am familiar with Steve Meisner... and his father Verne was a kick-*** accordion player too. Somewhere, I have some cassettes by "Barefoot Becky and The Ivanhoe Dutchmen", from Iowa. I recall really liking her polka-ization of country songs. She plays barefoot .. so I have steered this thread back to its topic, sort of.
    I know Steve Meisner well. Those were family bands. It was actually a lot of Swiss and Polish Polka. Lots of fun with Yodelling. Oh how I miss those days of my childhood. Everyone would dance and have the best time ever. Playing was so much fun and the crowd participation and reaction was the best. Music just isn't the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I usually go with wooden clogs. They match my grass skirt the best.

Tex
    What wooden clogs?