Thread: New Breakbeats Kit!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default New Breakbeats Kit!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I will soon be the proud new owner of a Ludwig Breakbeats by Questlove set. I ordered them last night and they should be here by the end of the week. I am really excited as I have done a lot of research on them and almost everything says they are amazing. I am certainly ready for some new drums as well because my old swingstars' edges are quite uneven. I would flatten them out with some sandpaper and a flat surface but the tension rods are already running out of thread and I don't think I could get the heads tight enough if I took off some of the bearing edge.

Question time: I want to keep these in really nice shape so I'm wondering about oil (or grease) in the lugs? I've heard about this from time to time, but I'm really not sure what the product or method is there.

Of course I shall post pics they arrive... I'm super excited!!!
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Breakbeats Kit!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    Well, I will soon be the proud new owner of a Ludwig Breakbeats by Questlove set. I ordered them last night and they should be here by the end of the week. I am really excited as I have done a lot of research on them and almost everything says they are amazing. I am certainly ready for some new drums as well because my old swingstars' edges are quite uneven. I would flatten them out with some sandpaper and a flat surface but the tension rods are already running out of thread and I don't think I could get the heads tight enough if I took off some of the bearing edge.

Question time: I want to keep these in really nice shape so I'm wondering about oil (or grease) in the lugs? I've heard about this from time to time, but I'm really not sure what the product or method is there.

Congrats man! Be sure and post pics when you get them. As far as the lugs go, use a little vaseline or 3 in 1 oil on them.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

For $400 bucks brand new, you can't really go wrong.

User Info Menu

Breakbeats are real popular now. Probably a big change from your Swingstars.

User Info Menu

Congrats man! What finish did you get? The Azure Sparkle or the White/Black Sparkle wrap?

User Info Menu

Wow, I wasn't that familiar with this kit. After using a bit of "Google-fu", I ran across this video. Not a bad sounding kit at all!

(except I wish he'd quit saying "lewd-wig").
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip about the vaseline, Mark, and yeah they sound great
    Late8, I got the Azure sparkle, I think the white and black just look flat and bland

Man, I am so excited, I can't imagine how it must feel to wait five months for a kit when I can barely wait five days!
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

+1 on the Vaseline or oil treatment.

On the subject of tension rods bottoming out - you could try getting shorter bolts or add an extra washer to each one, I bought a used snare and could not tighten the snare side head sufficiently (it sounded awful with chronic snare rattle caused by resonance from ALL the other drums which could not be tuned out - I suspect that is why the original owner sold it) I added an extra washer to each rod and cranked it a little which cured the problem instantly.

It seems a shame to junk a swingstar kit if it can be sorted for little cost. N2Bluz fixed some bearing edges by using sandpaper over a sheet of glass and reprofiled by hand successfully. You could try this and get a bag of washers from a hardware store for a few $.

User Info Menu

The only issues I've had with tension rods bottoming out was with really old heads that were overstretched.

User Info Menu

Late8, I got the Azure sparkle, I think the white and black just look flat and bland
    Great choice. I agree with you. Can't wait to see the pics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

(except I wish he'd quit saying "lewd-wig").
    He sounds Canadian...

User Info Menu

Every two or three years, when I have the heads completely off of each shell, I will put a tiny drop of 3-in-1 oil on the tip-threads of the screw and gently run it all the way into the lug...........remove the screw again and then put the new heads on each shell.
    After 38 years, my shells are still functioning like new.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    He sounds Canadian...
    He sounds German to me
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    He sounds Canadian...
    +1

Another vote for vaseline..............works great on the threads..............just make sure to wipe off any excess.

User Info Menu

Crispycritters, I certainly won't junk the swing stars, my plan is that I'll use them once in a while (especially the bass drum) and probably a bit later when I have some time on my hands fix them up with more washers. Thanks for the tip!

I will definitely be getting some Vaseline tomorrow as well, it seems like that might be what I had heard previously as well.

Also, slight update: the online tracking says they should be here tomorrow night! I'm crazy Excited!
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

From what I remember there is a Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill, Ontario just north of Toronto.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Drums have arrived, I have started the process of preparing them, cleaning them up, etc.
    Pics should be up by Monday
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Aquarian heads
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Drums have arrived, I have started the process of preparing them, cleaning them up, etc.
    Pics should be up by Monday
    Enjoy them, man! I can't say enough good things about mine; I play them at smaller gigs, and get raves about their sound every time. A quick word of advice: if you elect to port your resonant side bass drum head, cut your hole in the center. 16" isn't much real estate to work with; the head's going to get kind of fragile and crinkly on you if you try to do the old 4 o'clock thing like I did.

Other than that, sit back and prepare to be amazed! Congrats!

User Info Menu

I won a Breakbeats floor tom on Ebay for $59. Arriving next week. Just the 13" x 13" FT (lightly used), in blue sparkle. Not sure yet what I am going to do with it. Probably hit it with stuff, I suppose. Ha ! I am thinking of putting my extra-long legs onto it and use it with my stand-up percussion rig. I just it ordered a 13" Fiberskyn head from SWP, as I would be playing it mostly with brushes.

User Info Menu

You could also buy a suspension or RIMS mount and hang it off of a stand, along with your other percussion items. Or, buy some long lengths of rod to use as legs....one or two of them long enough to stick up above the drum. Then you could hang other stuff like blocks, cymbals & turtle shells off the extended leg.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You could also buy a suspension or RIMS mount and hang it off of a stand, along with your other percussion items. Or, buy some long lengths of rod to use as legs....one or two of them long enough to stick up above the drum. Then you could hang other stuff like blocks, cymbals & turtle shells off the extended leg.
    Yeah, something like that. The drum arrive this past weekend. While I had the top off to put on the new head, I installed a spare leg clamp into the upper part of the shell. It takes a standard 3/8" percussion rod, or any steel rod of similar diameter. I have plenty of tinkertoys on hand... the sky's the limit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking forward to working the new drum into my act, and using it on the Fall festival gigs we have lined up.

User Info Menu

congrats that's awesome!