Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double gravity (freehand) long roll

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double gravity (freehand) long roll

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    It doesn't look like anything new to me, just a fast double stroke roll. The odds of somebody inventing something new in drumming at this point are pretty slim. At this point innovation is finding new ways to use old stuff.
    Problem is I can't find a single example. It's not rimshots or a double stroke roll, it's a gravity stroke doubles alternating. So if I didn't come up with something new, could someone point me to an example of someone doing this?

User Info Menu

The only videos I found are single handed only. My Google-Fu is not strong today.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    The only videos I found are single handed only. My Google-Fu is not strong today.
    I'm usually stronger too but I'm scraping trying to find it.

User Info Menu

Time mark 0:36.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Time mark 0:36.
    YES! That's the closest yet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiffypants View Post
    Problem is I can't find a single example. It's not rimshots or a double stroke roll, it's a gravity stroke doubles alternating. So if I didn't come up with something new, could someone point me to an example of someone doing this?
    I'm pretty sure that gravity rolls were just a new name for an old thing too.

Mark, I guess you shouldn't have doubted the strength of your google-fu.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Mark, I guess you shouldn't have doubted the strength of your google-fu.
    My Google-Fu is strong once again, Grasshoppa.

YES! That's the closest yet!
    Best I could find for now.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Nice find!

User Info Menu

Ahh.. i miss the old jojo.. before he went for a homeless look...

User Info Menu

I don't mean to be a party pooper but this is nothing new or groundbreaking.

User Info Menu

Johnny Rabb has been doing that type of thing quite awhile and has taken it to many levels. He has a freehand technique book also.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-11-2015 at 06:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Nothing new here. Move along.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Nothing new here. Move along.
    Damn y'all salty in this forum

User Info Menu

I can't believe this thread went this long.. i swear i thought it was just trolling from the start..

User Info Menu

I don't think it's so much "salty" as it is just telling it like it is. Sorry. Don't judge this forum too quickly. There's a lot of experienced guys here who like to help, critique, encourage, etc. Give it some time. The only thing we're trying to say is that, discovering something new when it comes to drumming is very, very rare.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

I don't think it's so much "salty" as it is just telling it like it is. Sorry. Don't judge this forum too quickly. There's a lot of experienced guys here who like to help, critique, encourage, etc. Give it some time. The only thing we're trying to say is that, discovering something new when it comes to drumming is very, very rare.
    While I didn't expect that I would be breaking new ground, every drummer in real life I have showed this to has been flabbergasted, including my teacher (40-50 years pro drummer), a good friend who dorks out on obscure drumming technique since the 80s, and experienced guys I meet with regularly at open jams at bars all loved it. Played it as an outro for a song to big applause. So I set out looking for more info on the approach so I can develop it. Folks here just seem to say meh, not worth considering. I can find some folks doing SORT OF what I'm doing, no one using it at that speed, or to do a long roll. Nobody. I didn't expect to be embraced, but this forum is chilly.

User Info Menu

Just curious.. do you have a video of you using this in a song? (sorry if there is one and i missed it above...)

User Info Menu

Look in any mirrors lately?
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Damnit wheezy.. you edited your post making mine seem really outa place.. stop that

User Info Menu

Look in any mirrors lately?
    Don't need to, I'm perfect!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Damnit wheezy.. you edited your post making mine seem really outa place.. stop that
    My bad, I gave up on trying to embed a Michael Jackson video.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

While I didn't expect that I would be breaking new ground, every drummer in real life I have showed this to has been flabbergasted, including my teacher (40-50 years pro drummer), a good friend who dorks out on obscure drumming technique since the 80s, and experienced guys I meet with regularly at open jams at bars all loved it. Played it as an outro for a song to big applause. So I set out looking for more info on the approach so I can develop it. Folks here just seem to say meh, not worth considering. I can find some folks doing SORT OF what I'm doing, no one using it at that speed, or to do a long roll. Nobody. I didn't expect to be embraced, but this forum is chilly.
    You'll find that this is one of the most respectful forums on the net. That said, we're just giving our opinion. As long as everyone keeps it respectful, we should be OK. Don't take anything personally. You have what you've experienced and others have what they've experienced. At the end, you'll have to figure it out for yourself anyway.

We're all drum brothers here, even when we disagree on something.

User Info Menu

I didn't expect to be embraced, but this forum is chilly.
    Welcome to the forum, spiffypants. You'll fit right in here perfectly just as soon as the topic changes. Well over half of the folks here come from another generation of drumming and have seen practically everything. So, when someone comes along and says they've discovered something new, the natural first response is "there is nothing new under the sun." But with more exposure, you will find that most forum members here are super nice guys who are willing to help in any way they can.

I'm not technical enough to even venture a guess as to whether you've come across some new angle. I know that when I turn up my double stroke rolls, they sound just like that - and I can do them at that speed. I have no video equipment at all, but if I can find some way to post my roll, I'll post it and you can compare the techniques.

Let's get others to do the same. This is an interesting claim - as evidenced by the number of responses - so let's see everybody else's rolls that are similar to this, then we can explore this claim a little further with actual video of the various member's take on this roll.

And spiffypants, if you manage to repeatedly create such controversial topics as this one, I'll be especially glad you signed on. It doesn't hurt to ruffle some feathers every now and then - especially when our assumptions are challenged.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

looks like a double stroke roll to me.
    http://youtu.be/5wNo2XMZfqo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

Let's get others to do the same. This is an interesting claim - as evidenced by the number of responses - so let's see everybody else's rolls that are similar to this, then we can explore this claim a little further with actual video of the various member's take on this roll.

And spiffypants, if you manage to repeatedly create such controversial topics as this one, I'll be especially glad you signed on. It doesn't hurt to ruffle some feathers every now and then - especially when our assumptions are challenged.

GeeDeeEmm
    If only we all carried around video cameras in our pockets, and if they had slo-mo, that would be dope! Oh wait, we do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn2X7-cgFm4

You'll easily see this is not double stroke, it's gravity/freehand