Thread: Practice

User Info Menu

Default Practice

Im just curious about other peoples practice routines..

How long each day ,warm ups...stuff like that.

Just curious.

User Info Menu

I don't have a routine. I just sit down and play whatever comes to mind, when I feel the desire. Usually, I just fool around for a few minutes, then plug in my laptop with some headphones and practice either my church stuff, or the drumless demo a friend of mine in North Carolina Made.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

i dont have a routine either, just sit down put on earphones and play along to songs, normally nirvana stuff

User Info Menu

From a teachers point of view I guess you would want to practice your rudiments for about five minutes each for a half an hour and then play for about two hours each day while applying things you've learned. From a loving musicians view who knows nothing about rudiments or practice routines, I'd say sit down and play all day til you don't know what to do next lol. Besides, dreams and ideas are regenerated each day, so it wouldn't get old.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I used to have a routine. I would workout on the practice pad for a half hour or an hour, work on sight-reading for the same, work on a specific drumset exercise or lick I was trying to get down, and maybe jam some.

Nowadays, I just sit down and play whatever I feel. Sometimes I'll work on a pattern. Sometimes I'll play along with a drum machine, a CD, or work on one of the band's tunes.

User Info Menu

I Practice At Least One Hour Daily Seven Days A Week,A Few Days Out The Week WHen I Have More Time I Squeeze In 2 Hours.
    Warm Up: Eights And Triplet Diddle,Then I Play My Rudiments And The Triplet Diddle Again,Finally FOr The Last 1/2 Hr. Or Hr And a 1/2(Depnding On The Day) I Play Out Of The Stick Control Book And Just Play Along To My iPod.
    Cool DOwn:EIghts And Triplet Diddle(By This Time It's Faster And Easier SInce My Wrists Are Nice N Warm).

User Info Menu

I sit down and do rudiments for about 30mins, then play random grooves and sometimes play along songs
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I Just Play What I Feel Like Whilst Capitalising Every Word Because It Looks Fine...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

my routine at the moment is warm up with some paradiddles around the drums and cymbals, the I play some independance exercises which I got from an old post here somewhere then I'll play different beats and grooves and might finish off with playing along to music

User Info Menu

speaking of practice pads,I was wondering how good or even effective they were,I was thinking about getting one that goes on my snare but I wasnt sure how close it was to getting the same effect.

User Info Menu

i recommend the vic firth double sided pad.it's very good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    my routine at the moment is warm up with some paradiddles around the drums and cymbals, the I play some independance exercises which I got from an old post here somewhere then I'll play different beats and grooves and might finish off with playing along to music
    i play those indepedence exersizes too, i think we are workin on the the same one.. what exersize are you on? im on 52.. iv been taken it really slowly

User Info Menu

i sit down, paly rudiments till im done, then goof of till im done with that, then plug in a cd and ither learn it, play it, or modify it. any ware between 1&7 hours a day
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    i play those indepedence exersizes too, i think we are workin on the the same one.. what exersize are you on? im on 52.. iv been taken it really slowly
    Yeah they are the same ones, posted by Jobby in response to one of your questions about independance or co-ordination I think. I cant remember what number I am on Laf but it is the first page of the advanced section. I went through the first one fairly quickly because I had been practicing independance for a while before I started on those. I have been working through the first page of the advanced for about 4 weeks now and also taking it really slowly.

How are you finding them?

User Info Menu

I can't at the moment but when I did it goes as follows. 30 min on "Chopsticks" for the forearms, 30 min rudiments, 30min-hour learning songs/playing to music, 30 min site reading, 30 minutes on foot work(bass/hi-hat combos), 30 min leading with my weaker limbs(hands/feet), and 30min learning licks/fills. Basically I try to practice anywhere from 3-4 hours a day/12-15 hours per wk(sometimes more sometimes less) depending on how busy of a week I have. I also mix it up with my minutes also. If I'm really feeling a certain aspect ie...my rudiments are not happening, I go longer on something else and vice versa. I've learned that if you set out to play 20-30 min on something, it's a mental thing that you can go a lot longer than setting out to do it double the time(and in the end double comes much of the time for me). If you think wow I have an hour to play such and such, it's easier to go shorter increments and before you know it....hours have gone by. I forgot I also work on playing grooves with just me and the click for some time as well. Sorry to be long winded on this, I just thought it would be helpful to some of the newer drummers we have here. Blessings.......
    Last edited by middleman; 10-29-2007 at 02:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Never be sorry about passing along important information, Middleman. As a newer drummer, thank you!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Yeah they are the same ones, posted by Jobby in response to one of your questions about independance or co-ordination I think. I cant remember what number I am on Laf but it is the first page of the advanced section. I went through the first one fairly quickly because I had been practicing independance for a while before I started on those. I have been working through the first page of the advanced for about 4 weeks now and also taking it really slowly.

How are you finding them?
    yep, those are it. well im just about about half way done the 1st beginner page, some are simple and i can get thomfortable at all speeds in about 5 minutes. but some i have to reallly concintrate on and one took me 45 minutes to get comfortably. but im progressing slowly. my drum teacher is actually gonna start using them too for his students.

User Info Menu

yep, those are it. well im just about about half way done the 1st beginner page, some are simple and i can get thomfortable at all speeds in about 5 minutes. but some i have to reallly concintrate on and one took me 45 minutes to get comfortably. but im progressing slowly. my drum teacher is actually gonna start using them too for his students.
    exactley where are they ,i looked and cant find them

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah I am pretty much the where I need to really concentrating on some of them. Some of them are real brain twisters and I need to walk away for a few minutes to clear my mind and come back to them.

User Info Menu

i totally hear yea man with the walkin away, sometimes i need to walk away 3-4 times and get some fresh air before i master it.. i think that was the 1 that took me 45 mins to get down..

User Info Menu

I haven't practiced in 2 days (bad drum_chick)

User Info Menu

thanks dude

User Info Menu

np dude, take em slow, iv been on em for about half a year, and im only done to numbr 52 on the bigginer section, make em count, get em down solid.